• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2014 3:13 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 3, 2006
168 posts
6 upvotes

Costco $6/tire change over

:mad: I went to costco today to change over my winter tires (on the rim) cost me $6/ tire. I bought the tires last year because they said that they woudl change over the tires free in the summer! Apparently there is now a fee.
$6/tire if on the rim.
$11/tire if not on the rim.

Can they just do that? Does not seem right. I paid a bit more for these tires at costco thinking that it was worth it becasue I did not need to pay for change overs! :mad:
97 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2009
1297 posts
2 upvotes
Waterloo
Do you have it in writing that it would be done for free? If not there's really nothing you can do.

$6/wheel is still cheaper than any other place I know of.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15080 posts
744 upvotes
Woodbridge
I remember it being free too. These days everyone seems to be either increasing prices or in this case starts charging for something was was free before.

Talk to the manager and see if they can do something.

I agree $6 to swap your Steelies to Wheel is cheap but why not just DIY.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
[OP]
Aug 3, 2006
168 posts
6 upvotes
No I do not have it in writing it was just the policy until this year. I know it is cheap, but it seems like they would include this service as part of yoru costco membership, and since you pay a hire price initially when you buy the tires. Oh well.
Feb 25, 2009
466 posts
21 upvotes
Yeah you can easily do it yourself for free. Took me about 30 minutes to swap my winter wheels and tires on in the fall.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2006
168 posts
6 upvotes
I used to do it myself. I have just become a bit lazy in my old age!
Need to buy a torque wrench and an air compressor.
Feb 10, 2007
783 posts
317 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Oh you poor thing, let me pity thee as I go and pay $175 to have my all-seasons put back on my SUV. :lol:
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2120 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
Precisely why people should buy winter rims with their winter tires. I know it adds a little more to the price tag but in the long run it really saves a lot of headaches. Personally I think $6 is not that bad, considering that you have to take the winter tire off the rim, put the all-season ones on, balance and mount everything. You can't do this at home unless you have all the proper equipment and experience. If you had the set of tires installed on separate rims, then all you do is swap them using the jack (not very sophisticated but it'll get the job done), but make sure you get a torque wrench (you can buy or even rent one) to ensure the nuts are tightened to specification.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19749 posts
1477 upvotes
Yeah separate wheels are always the way to go. Mounting/unmounting is hard on the tyre too--it's not meant to be done repeatedly and can lead to premature tyre failure.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7741 posts
147 upvotes
liorsyncro wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2009 6:30 pm
Precisely why people should buy winter rims with their winter tires. I know it adds a little more to the price tag but in the long run it really saves a lot of headaches. Personally I think $6 is not that bad, considering that you have to take the winter tire off the rim, put the all-season ones on, balance and mount everything. You can't do this at home unless you have all the proper equipment and experience. If you had the set of tires installed on separate rims, then all you do is swap them using the jack (not very sophisticated but it'll get the job done), but make sure you get a torque wrench (you can buy or even rent one) to ensure the nuts are tightened to specification.
thats a really good price... your paying less then $30 to get your wheels swapped.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
2842 posts
150 upvotes
I think the point here is... Costco used to change over your tires for free as long as they're on rims and one of the two sets are bought from Costco. Every since this year they're started to charge people $6/tire I'm guessing because a lot of people now go and get their tires changed for free, and Costco is probably losing money from it (cost of labour).

It doesn't matter whether the tires are on rims or not... Costco charges for both now.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2003
3226 posts
40 upvotes
Shane1 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2009 1:59 pm
I used to do it myself. I have just become a bit lazy in my old age!
Need to buy a torque wrench and an air compressor.
For tires changes, I have an electric impact gun, and it works great.
A torque wrench is still a good idea, though I would be shocked if they actually used one at the shop
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5526 posts
83 upvotes
Vancouver
Don't forget that if your only using 1 set of rims for 2 sets of tires, your gonna have to pay for balancing each time as well.

Nowadays, not many use a torque wrench anymore. they use these torque extensions that fit on a impact gun. How it works is when selected torue extension is reaching the rated torque spec, the extensions bends and sorta 'fakes' that it's tight and the impact gun will not go anymore.

http://www.torquestick.com/
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2009
1297 posts
2 upvotes
Waterloo
Well I have never used a torque wrench on wheels and never had any problems. Over time I've developed a sense of how tight a bolt should be.

On wheels, it's not so much how tight the nuts are that matter, but equal distribution of tightness and the pattern you tighten them in.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2006
168 posts
6 upvotes
Yes that is precisely my point. I don't mind getting charged the $6 per tire plus tax, getting up early so I can be first in line, and waiting over 1 hour to exchange my rims. My point was it used to be done for free, and it was a great incentive for people to spend the extra couple of bucks initially to get your rims and tires from costco.

I advice you all to go in early before the line ups get toooo long!
:|
× < >