Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

65" Haier 4K[3,840 x 2,160] LED TV - $749.99 - UHD

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2022 5:37 pm
Oct 20, 2009
254 posts
130 upvotes
20160906_015410.jpg
So I picked this up. And I noticed some screen bleeding. Is this normal for and led that's this big? I was using the YouTube voice app on my nexus player. So I could get a full one colour screen.
What are your thoughts? This normal.??
Ps: sorry if it's showing upside down.
Images
  • 20160906_015420.jpg
It's not all about saving a few dollars....its the Principle of it :)
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2004
3220 posts
565 upvotes
GVA
Try to turn down the brightness and backlight one as well
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2002
5287 posts
3345 upvotes
AverageJoee wrote: 20160906_015410.jpgSo I picked this up. And I noticed some screen bleeding. Is this normal for and led that's this big? I was using the YouTube voice app on my nexus player. So I could get a full one colour screen.
As someone else stated earlier cameras will pickup extra light. Chances are the picture you took will look much brighter than what you actually see. For example on my 55" the black screen look black with some slight bleeding on the left edge. With a camera shot the screen looks much more bright, almost blue. You can play with the camera settings in most cases to get a better representation of the true image.

I'd say that screen loooks pretty even for the most part and I'm willing to bet that in person it looks just fine.
That's 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.
Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
Jul 26, 2007
242 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga
peji911 wrote: Anyone playing PS4 or Xbox 1 on this?

If so, how are you liking it? The price point is fantastic but not sure on the quality for gaming
Played a few hours of Destiny on Xbone and it was fantastic. No noticeable lag and the colours were sharp, crisp, clean. No regrets on purchase.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
2198 posts
2414 upvotes
I really want to see this one and the 55" in person. Are these at most locations in the GTA?
Mar 7, 2011
42 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto, ON
wildzero wrote: I really want to see this one and the 55" in person. Are these at most locations in the GTA?
Warden location had lots in stock on Sunday afternoon.
Both units on display, 55" showing stock footage, and 65" tuned on Global HD through OTA antenna.
Last edited by arielcanarg on Sep 6th, 2016 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4578 posts
1999 upvotes
AB
arielcanarg wrote: Warden location had lots in stock on Sunday afternoon.
Both units on display, 55" showing stock footage, and 65" tuned on Global HD through OTA antenna.
In Calgary it was funny to look at two facing rows of TV demos, more than a dozen, and only the two Haiers (55" & 65") had the Costco promo low resolution videos running. All the others (Samsung & Vizio) were playing 4k videos. Very misleading.
Oct 30, 2007
206 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
greg123 wrote:
funinagg wrote: just went to nearest costco.
similar option as many posters: cheap 1080/2160p vs quality (i.e. vizio m65-d) with value (performance/cost) being the trigger
wifey looked at this n a vizio m60-c side by side n said shd wait for sale/price drop on m65-d
i am biased due to overanalysis ;) but poor video processing and lack of (many) lighting zones stood out.
still think at 750 and costco warranty, it is a close call.
we only use one tv. those who use two can surely buy this one as a gap filler until m65-d or other better ones with hdr fall in price.
i wud wait i guess.
same here, might make a trip down south for the 70", person must be blind if they can't tell the noticeable difference between the two, unless your hugely in debt, or using this as a secondary rarely used tv.
I moved into a house that had a 65" Samsung 550 series plasma which died on me. Urgent need for a new 65" TV. this is in our 'great room', so my buyer value is high quality set that will grow with the times, but not put me out a ton of $$. I went to costco brampton. love the intent of the sales people but they basically tried to convince me that the guts of all sets are basically the same, and by adjusting the Haier's settings, i'd get 'as good a picture as any other 4k set'. i'm no expert but i just find that's not true. they had the 65" Haier 4k on display and ran stock costco content through it, while the samsung and LG were playing the 'made for 4k, sell the sh*t out of this unit' stuff that looked amazing. needless to say, i was not impressed with the Haier but stuck around desperately trying to love it. in the end, the 60Hz vs 120+Hz refresh rate made me think that i can't have the Haier as my 'showpiece' TV in the house. what made me really annoyed was that the next TV came in at over double the price. I walked out with the LG 6150, and when i started using it, the edge-lit stuff started really bugging me. like i noticed when the screen was 'black', the corners seemed to light up brighter than the rest of the set. i think i need to take the LG back.

so now - i am thinking about the Vizio M. it's not a 'brand name' but seems to be more worth it than the Samsung 6xxx and LG 6xxx series TVs. i know we're not supposed to make recos in the deals section, but if anyone has strong thoughts, let me know. I saw the Sony 7 series at Best Buy and thought they were really nice - but i'm keen to get something from Costco mostly due to warranty and concierge service... don't think Costco carries a 65" Sony 4k

alright folks - thoughts?
Feb 24, 2008
140 posts
436 upvotes
Bradford
Mhaddy wrote:
peji911 wrote: Anyone playing PS4 or Xbox 1 on this?

If so, how are you liking it? The price point is fantastic but not sure on the quality for gaming
Played a few hours of Destiny on Xbone and it was fantastic. No noticeable lag and the colours were sharp, crisp, clean. No regrets on purchase.
I have the TV running through my Xbox. One strange issue I've found so far is that if I turn my xbox one off first and then this TV, the TV power just recycles and keeps turning back on. If I turn off the TV first, and then the Xbox it's fine and stays off. Not sure if I've got a faulty unit or not. Also, the Xbox One claimed it was able to detect the TV remote code, but when it tried to communicate with it it wouldn't work, so don't think the TV feature works on X1. Like you said though, I tried Destiny and it looked fantastic.
Aug 31, 2008
679 posts
75 upvotes
Calgary
[/quote]
..alright folks - thoughts?..
[/quote]
similar situation as me i guess. tho u need one quicker. i wud say get vizio m65-d0 (~1,800). i will wait for the sale on it.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2012
1874 posts
1666 upvotes
Lake Simcoe
Not sure if it's been mentioned earlier in the thread, but the 65" is no longer listed on Costco.ca
The 55" is still active @ 529.99
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1204 posts
465 upvotes
Mississauga
can someone tell me what screen bleeding means? I bought this tv on the weekend and I see dark vertical like on left side of the screen.
AverageJoee wrote: 20160906_015410.jpgSo I picked this up. And I noticed some screen bleeding. Is this normal for and led that's this big? I was using the YouTube voice app on my nexus player. So I could get a full one colour screen.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1663 posts
806 upvotes
Ottawa
i was not impressed with the Haier but stuck around desperately trying to love it. i
What matters is how it looks in your home. If Costco is intentionally running lower-quality demos on the Haiers (to make the more expensive TVs look like they're worth the extra), I'd have no guilty feeling at returning the Haier if still didn't like it at home.

=aw
Jun 6, 2004
429 posts
28 upvotes
kyleashton wrote:
I have the TV running through my Xbox. One strange issue I've found so far is that if I turn my xbox one off first and then this TV, the TV power just recycles and keeps turning back on. If I turn off the TV first, and then the Xbox it's fine and stays off. Not sure if I've got a faulty unit or not. Also, the Xbox One claimed it was able to detect the TV remote code, but when it tried to communicate with it it wouldn't work, so don't think the TV feature works on X1. Like you said though, I tried Destiny and it looked fantastic.
Sounds like HDMI CEC settings are messing up. Try playing around with those
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
4206 posts
1749 upvotes
Montreal
dhobiwala wrote:
greg123 wrote:
similar option as many posters: cheap 1080/2160p vs quality (i.e. vizio m65-d) with value (performance/cost) being the trigger
wifey looked at this n a vizio m60-c side by side n said shd wait for sale/price drop on m65-d
i am biased due to overanalysis ;) but poor video processing and lack of (many) lighting zones stood out.
we only use one tv. those who use two can surely buy this one as a gap filler until m65-d or other better ones with hdr fall in price.
i wud wait i guess.
same here, might make a trip down south for the 70", person must be blind if they can't tell the noticeable difference between the two, unless your hugely in debt, or using this as a secondary rarely used tv.
I moved into a house that had a 65" Samsung 550 series plasma which died on me. Urgent need for a new 65" TV. this is in our 'great room', so my buyer value is high quality set that will grow with the times, but not put me out a ton of $$. I went to costco brampton. love the intent of the sales people but they basically tried to convince me that the guts of all sets are basically the same, and by adjusting the Haier's settings, i'd get 'as good a picture as any other 4k set'. i'm no expert but i just find that's not true. they had the 65" Haier 4k on display and ran stock costco content through it, while the samsung and LG were playing the 'made for 4k, sell the sh*t out of this unit' stuff that looked amazing. needless to say, i was not impressed with the Haier but stuck around desperately trying to love it. in the end, the 60Hz vs 120+Hz refresh rate made me think that i can't have the Haier as my 'showpiece' TV in the house. what made me really annoyed was that the next TV came in at over double the price. I walked out with the LG 6150, and when i started using it, the edge-lit stuff started really bugging me. like i noticed when the screen was 'black', the corners seemed to light up brighter than the rest of the set. i think i need to take the LG back.

so now - i am thinking about the Vizio M. it's not a 'brand name' but seems to be more worth it than the Samsung 6xxx and LG 6xxx series TVs. i know we're not supposed to make recos in the deals section, but if anyone has strong thoughts, let me know. I saw the Sony 7 series at Best Buy and thought they were really nice - but i'm keen to get something from Costco mostly due to warranty and concierge service... don't think Costco carries a 65" Sony 4k

If you're going to try to compare TVs you at least need to make sure that they are both showing the same source content. Also, promo content from the manufacturers usually looks more impressive than what you'll actually watch at home. They know how to produce content that will showcase the screen to make it look as impressive as possible (and hide weaknesses), and that content just isn't typical.
Sep 24, 2012
39 posts
16 upvotes
Ottawa
dhobiwala
If your looking for a spectacular TV panel with latest technological break-through consider HDR SUHD Quantum Dot. From what has been stated Quantum Dot equals OLED at a less expensive pricing.
Samsung SUHD TV Website - Quantum dot display , HDR
http://www.samsung.com/ca/suhd/
Sep 24, 2012
39 posts
16 upvotes
Ottawa
djjungly
can someone tell me what screen bleeding means? I bought this tv on the weekend and I see dark vertical like on left side of the screen.
Heres a great article explaining screen bleeding and testing by RTINGS
Black Uniformity of TVs
Clouding and Flashlighting

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-q ... shlighting
Nov 9, 2013
660 posts
262 upvotes
dhobiwala wrote:
greg123 wrote:
i wud wait i guess.

I was considering the LG but read reviews that spoke about the edge-lit issues you mentioned. What about the Sony XBR65X750D? $1800 at BB right now.

http://m.bestbuy.ca/defaultpage.aspx?la ... lang=en-CA
May 8, 2005
396 posts
201 upvotes
Ottawa
65 is running good now, I went through the factory settings shown in the link from post #216, everything looks good.

Just one odd thing I noticed. When I play a 4K source from my android box the TV won't let me adjust colour or sharpness (and tint is still greyed out of course), just Brightness, Contrast and Colour Temp is adjustable (this is HDMI 1 on my TV). But when I use my bell source 1080p(i) source on HDMI 2, it allows me to adjust the colour and sharpness as well as the others (minus the tint). Is this a normal thing for a 4K source to lock in the colour and sharpness of a TV to the settings found it its data stream? I'll show some pics when I get a chance.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)