Shopping Discussion

COSTCO 90 day Appliance return policy BEWARE!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2018 8:13 am
[OP]
Mar 21, 2018
3 posts
6 upvotes

COSTCO 90 day Appliance return policy BEWARE!

I bought a Samsung fridge on Costco.ca. The fridge was delivered and was not inspected by delivery driver. I noticed a dent later as I was not there on delivery day. I want you to all know that if you have any dent on your appliance you should return it for a new one, I learned from making this mistake, I emailed Costco about the dent and they compensated me if I kept the fridge.I took this offer because the dent was not that bad. After 3-4 months the fridge started acting funny, beeping all the time, ice maker and water dispenser acting weird, switching from water to ice without touching the display. Called Samsung, Tech came, he noted that the door was very damaged, he noted a few other dents that we thought were reflections from the lighting. He said the door was out of wack, sticking out to far, not closing properly, also that the display panel was pushed in to far - causing the water and ice buttons to act funny. He recommended us to call Costco because they likely happened during the delivery process. End of story Costco refused to return fridge or replace the door because we were over 90 days. Samsung is replacing the panel. We now are stuck with this fridge that is more damaged than we were aware of. I explained this clearly to Costco that we just thought it was a dent - no big deal, but a trained technician pointed out the more serious damage. You think Costco would have returned this fridge outside the 90 day policy.
44 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28348 posts
14145 upvotes
Ottawa
How is this Costco's fault?
You made the conscious decision to take money as compensation and went pass the 90day window.
Kudos to Costco for denying your return and hope they stay firm more regularly, as the shit I see people return is flat out disgusting.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2532 posts
1549 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
User039146 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 4:49 pm
Samsung is replacing the panel. We now are stuck with this fridge that is more So than we were aware of. I explained this clearly to Costco that we just thought it was a dent - no big deal, but a trained technician pointed out the more serious damage. You think Costco would have returned this fridge outside the 90 day policy.
They made you an offer based on the information you provided, and you accepted that offer.

Now they have arranged warranty repairs for you so you get the fridge you chose at a discounted price and it's working properly - without the dents for which you received the discount.

You have received fair treatment. Other retailers have far less than 90 days to return while others would have sent you straight to warranty the first time..
Tech... ...noted that the door was very damaged, he noted a few other dents that we thought were reflections from the lighting. He said the door was out of wack, sticking out to far, not closing properly, also that the display panel was pushed in to far - causing the water and ice buttons to act funny
So...clearly you're insinuating these issues were there from the outset, so why did you not bring them up during your first conversation with Costco? They certainly sound like flaws that would be easily noticeable, especially by someone already noticing a dent.

If you only noticed them after "3-4 months", it's fair to assume they weren't a problem before then so its reasonable they not be accepted for return.
If they were noticed before that 3-4 months, then the fact you could no longer return the product to Costco is on you. They certainly went above and beyond. Your inability to notice errors you describe here as if they're so glaringly obvious brings into question whether they were there when the item was newly delivered.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2018
3 posts
6 upvotes
Take more time to read my post! The dent was noticed, that's it that's all the information I initially provided to Costco. I can live with the dent. The point i'm trying to make ALLCAPS is that there was more damage that I was unaware of so if you buy an appliance with a dent you should return it because there could be more damage than you know. I made this mistake which I admit. I don't think its fair though that after a trained Samsung Appliance technician examined the fridge and noted all the damage that I was not aware of that I should be told sorry you didn't mention this to us within 90 days. I'm not an appliance technician and this damage is NOT easily spotted. Yah its odd that the issues started occurring a few months after but this damage was there from the day it got delivered.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2018
3 posts
6 upvotes
I'm not trying to return a 10 year old TV, and I'm not even trying to return the fridge, I just want a new door. If the fridge doesn't maintain temperature its a food safety concern. In my case the dent on the door turned out to be a much bigger issue. Like I said I can live with the dent but I had no idea there was more internal damage and how could anyone know this. I only learned when the tech came and told me. Maybe my post was a bit to detailed but the only reason I wanted to share this experience is so that anyone who may read this will not make the mistake I made. A dent could mean more damage than you can see and I should have returned this fridge immediately.
Dec 15, 2013
959 posts
304 upvotes
North of Toronto
Sounds like a case of the OP over exaggerating the situation.

You are lucky Costco has a 90 day return policy. Most places offer a fraction of that.

They also compensated you which you accepted.

Samsung is fixing the issue. So why do you need to return it?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2760 upvotes
Don't worry about the door. If it's a Samsung fridge you'll soon have more to worry about.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7932 posts
1955 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm just curious how you didn't notice that the door wasn't closing properly?
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
1572 posts
1096 upvotes
If purchased on CC, check your benefits for purchase assurance. Mine has 120 days for:
Purchase Assurance
Most personal items purchased are automatically insured against theft, loss
or damage anywhere in the world for 120 days from the date of purchase
when the full cost of the item is charged to your Capital One card. Covered
items will be replaced or repaired or the purchase price will be reimbursed
at the insurance company’s discretion.
Had good experience with a claim for an item that broken after 1-2 months.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2431 posts
1022 upvotes
Edmonton
peli33 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 10:14 pm
If purchased on CC, check your benefits for purchase assurance. Mine has 120 days for:

Had good experience with a claim for an item that broken after 1-2 months.
If you read further, typically, there will be a clause stating that damage would have to occur after delivery. They are not going to cover a botched delivery.
Jul 31, 2015
930 posts
491 upvotes
AB
I agree Costco already helped with a discount based off your previous call, you should have either returned the dent, or checked for more damaged.

Plus yeah, Samsung appliance, it’s going to have other problems soon enough, the door will be the least of your worries.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2532 posts
1549 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
User039146 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 7:24 pm
Take more time to read my post! The dent was noticed, that's it that's all the information I initially provided to Costco.
...and that's pretty much exactly what I quoted and responded with. So what exactly did I miss so far?
The point i'm trying to make ALLCAPS is that there was more damage that I was unaware of
Uh-huh. And not one of those items that you listed (also which I quoted) were - as I'd also written in my last post - defects that were hidden, and certainly should or ought to have noticed by a reasonable person well before the 3-4 months it apparently took you to notice them. A door that doesn't close and that sticks out too far? A display panel pushed in too far? Water and Ice buttons acting funny? Assuming they were there from the beginning, there is no reason to have not brought them up with your initial communication with Costco. Assuming they were there but you didn't think they were a big deal, then it's your own problem because you had a perfectly good 'no questions asked' return policy that you let expire. Assuming the other possibility that they magically appeared after the 90 days? That's a warranty issue and they repair or replace the damaged parts as per the conditions of the warranty.
So if you buy an appliance with a dent you should return it because there could be more damage than you know.
Incorrect and generalised statement. I bought an appliance with a dent. Nothing wrong with it. Apparently yours had a bunch more that you thought were simple reflections. Apparently you didn't think about running your hand over these reflections when you were taking care of the first dent issue.
I don't think its fair though that after a trained Samsung Appliance technician examined the fridge and noted all the damage
Once again - how could you have possibly missed things such as a misaligned door and buttons not working properly? If they're as you describe them, I'm pretty sure I would have noticed and I'm not a trained technician.
I'm not an appliance technician and this damage is NOT easily spotted.

Dude...these are the main parts of the appliance which you would use multiple times each day in normal situations. It doesn't take technical training to notice that a door is out too far or otherwise misaligned, or that the ice and water buttons are acting funny.
Yah its odd that the issues started occurring a few months after but this damage was there from the day it got delivered.
...then you missed your opportunity to return it because you chose to accept this damage in return for a discounted price on the item. If you had declined this option, you could have returned it, including free pickup and delivery of the new fridge.

You made a choice and now the choice is turning out to allegedly be a bad choice, suddenly it's the retailer's fault? Time for you to do some adulting and accept responsibility for the choices you made to save a few dollars.
I just want a new door.
...for these magical dents you apparently didn't notice for more than three months? You're beyond that. That ship has sailed. That train has left the station. My fridge didn't have dents when I bought it. It has dents now through general wear and tear. Unless there was absolutely noone in your place for the duration, you cannot prove that the dents in your fridge occurred through anything other than basic wear and tear. Sure, it's possible it was delivered in that condition. I agree completely that may have been the case. However, I do not believe that you could not have noticed these 'there on delivery' dents at some point within the first 90 days of ownership.
I had no idea there was more internal damage
Completely understandable. And that's why the warranty repair is under way right now. They're fixing the technical issues, as they should.
I should have returned this fridge immediately.
In your case, apparently so. But you didn't. You chose to get a discount and accepted the cosmetic damage instead.

I predict the topic will be changed to 'please delete' in the very near future.
Last edited by ALLCAPS on Mar 23rd, 2018 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
144 posts
89 upvotes
Happy to see that Costco is getting more strict with their return policies. At the end of the day, we all pay for those who abuse it(not saying that you are trying to).

You were outside their 90 day policy, plain and simple. For all they know you could've dropped the fridge down a flight of stairs and did the damage yourself. YOU'RE PAST 90 days! Anybody can make up any story to try to bypass that policy, not happening anymore. That saves us all money in the long run.
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
144 posts
89 upvotes
GhostBusters wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 7:55 pm

Samsung is fixing the issue. So why do you need to return it?
Buyers remorse. Now he is trying to give one of the few honest retailers out there a bad name because of his own decision making. I have faith he'll wake up one day and see that he was treated fairly though! The retailer held up their end of the bargain, now it's on the manufacturer(which they are taking care of). So yeah I agree, what is the problem?
May 23, 2014
875 posts
438 upvotes
canada
How much did Costco compensate originally for the dent