Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

AKG C50 bluetooth headphones

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2018 7:19 pm
Oct 21, 2013
48 posts
238 upvotes
Vancouver

[Costco] AKG C50 bluetooth headphones

I recently broke my old BT headphones and have been looking the black friday deals for anything good. So far, the ones I want are the Momentum 2.0 ones but they don't seem to be on sale. BUT, I did notice that Costco are selling these AKG C50 bluetooth headphones. They look nice enough and sound nice enough. Has anyone seen them before or know if they are decent? Google has not been all that helpful.
Images
  • 9BvbZ_IMG_20161123_194655.jpg
  • picture_20161124_122526.jpg
57 replies
Sep 7, 2007
81 posts
38 upvotes
Victoria
Please put price in title....I realize that sometimes Costco only says $30 off, but it's not helpful if we don't know what the regular retail price is. Thanks.
Mar 7, 2011
604 posts
558 upvotes
Vancouver
I believe it is a rebranded AKG Y50 - on my local Costco the demo unit was Y50.
Mar 18, 2008
539 posts
101 upvotes
Why would a BT headphone come with audio cables? Does that mean it can be plugged into the computer?
Apr 7, 2007
156 posts
132 upvotes
Nominee wrote: Why would a BT headphone come with audio cables? Does that mean it can be plugged into the computer?
A lot of full size BT headphones have the jack so you can plug it in if the batteries die usually just a standard 3.5mm.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
3024 posts
1537 upvotes
Burnaby
Just wait for amazon, i'm hoping for some BT headphones too.
Oct 21, 2013
48 posts
238 upvotes
Vancouver
born2shop wrote: Please put price in title....I realize that sometimes Costco only says $30 off, but it's not helpful if we don't know what the regular retail price is. Thanks.
I tried to edit the title, no luck. But as others mentioned, $99.99 for them with the current discount.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1328 posts
1337 upvotes
It is a wireless headphone?
Why i can see it is wired in that pic?
Aug 24, 2016
60 posts
70 upvotes
The headphones can be used either wired or wireless. It's pretty good if you ever run out of charge. If you want to use it with out the wire, just unplug it from the headset.
Dec 10, 2003
290 posts
343 upvotes
Nominee wrote: Why would a BT headphone come with audio cables? Does that mean it can be plugged into the computer?
They come with a wire for a few reasons....
1) So they can be used with devices with no Bluetooth
2) So they can be used when the batteries die and you still want to listen to music
3) So you can use them on an airplane, as you are not allowed in most flights to have "wireless" communication on.......

I saw this set of headphones today too....... they looked nice, I didn't try the demo, but the older gentleman beside me tried them and I heard him state that they sounded "pretty good"
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2550 posts
1011 upvotes
If these are the AKG Y50 then it seems like a great deal. Might have to look into these. I want the Momentum 2.0 but so expensive.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1173 posts
1150 upvotes
I was going to post about these as well a few days ago but couldn't find a single piece of information online about them. From what I could tell they are the same as the uk y50bt and they do sound great. Cable is included in case they die during use.
Images
  • IMG_20161115_152131.jpg
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
1116 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
I just picked these up for $99 this morning and using them as I type this. As far as I can tell the C50BT are Canadian branded versions of the Y50BT.

Quick review:
  • I wear glasses and right now I feel a bit of pressure along the front and top edge where the muff presses on my head and glasses. Not uncomfortable, but there's noticeable pressure. This may improve longer I wear them. I'll update this post after I've worn the headphones for a while.
  • Update on comfort: By angling the band slightly forward, this pushes the pads more onto the upper jaw which helps reduce the pressure.
  • The band is metal, not plastic. Nice touch.
  • Hinge is metal, but connected to plastic. Plastic seems sturdy, but most headphones break at these points.
  • When plugged in via 3.5mm cable, the Bass is a bit thumpy, but not obnoxious. Highs are nice and bright, but not overly sharp. Mid is good.
  • Update: When listening via BT, I noticed a lot of loss in the dimension in the sound. The bass gets flat, and the mids lack any depth.
  • The 3.5mm pass through cable does not carry the Mic (not even sure if the jack itself even has the mic channel, or if it's strictly for stereo)
  • 3.5mm on one end, and 2.5mm on the can end.
  • You can't use the Bluetooth functionality while it's plugged in and charging. So if you want to hear your tunes while charging, you need to connect the audio cable as well ... so you have 2 cables running from your head.
  • Update on volume: Volume range is great. The C50bt can get very loud and holds tight. No noticeable distortions, clipping, or popping. Bass seems to get exaggerated at higher volumes.
Price / value:
If this was the only BT headset on sale right now, it's a good deal. Audio is good. Construction feels solid (generous use of metal). 3.5mm passthrough and BT wireless is convenient. However, the Sony MDR-XB950bt are on sale right now at Bestbuy, Amazon, and Costco online for $125 which may be a better deal for a headset (longer battery life, full cup, mic, 3.5mm passthrough etc.).
Last edited by Ayumix on Nov 25th, 2016 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
1116 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
Update:

I just used this headset for a web meeting and the microphone is infuriating. My colleagues kept leaning into their speakers to hear me better, and one co-worker described me sounding like I was under water.

Trying to adjust the microphone on MacOS is fiddly as well - if you go into the Microphone panel to change a setting, all other audio sources (like any playing music) suddenly changes and sound like they're coming through a cheap gumball machine speaker. To get the audio sounding normal again, you have to switch back to the output panel.

There's definitely not something right with the microphone as well as how the BT is implemented and supported (maybe it's just MacOS?). Since I was hoping to use this headset for both personal and work, I can't see myself constantly fiddling with the settings to get it to sound right. I'll be returning these to Costco next week. It's a shame since the C50bt sounded so nice (Edit: when connected with the 3.5mm cable).

Maybe others will have better luck.
Dec 10, 2008
368 posts
294 upvotes
I've had the Y50s for a couple years and love them. I just ordered the Y50BTs from Amazon.com for $99US (on sale) and felt that was a pretty decent deal, so this is great value. The Y50BTs get really good reviews and are best in class on a lot of sites:

http://www.whathifi.com/akg/y50bt/review
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/akg-y50b ... rth-buying
http://www.mobilechoiceuk.com/phone-rev ... Y50BT/1136
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2550 posts
1011 upvotes
My wife couldn't find them at the Gloucester Costco so YMMV.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?