Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Costco: Alaskan Ice Melter 20kg $4.97 (new price)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2011 8:46 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
1889 posts
158 upvotes
Vancouver

[Costco] Costco: Alaskan Ice Melter 20kg $4.97 (new price)

Alaskan Ice Melter
20kg
$8.97

http://www.icemelter.ca/products/alaskan_e.php

Saw this at the Richmond, BC warehouse.

Mar 27: Lizard reported $4.97 at Langley warehouse
9 replies
Jan 25, 2007
46 posts
anyone see any in GTA costco? Time to stock up for next year at that price.
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2002
12042 posts
1086 upvotes
RCSS last week were selling their no name brand ice melter with sand for $3.97 for 20kg...
{ Canon EOS 5D Mark III | 40mm | 50mm II | 24-105mm | 70-200mm II | 600EX-RT | 1.4x III | Sigma: 150-500mm }
{ Lowepro: S&F Technical Vest + Belt + 100AW | Inverse 200AW | Lens Case 2 + 9x13 + 11x26 | Benro C-168M8 }
Jul 13, 2006
12 posts
K2c4c2
Oddly enough, the Costco Warehouses in areas where there is snow have been out for almost a month.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2006
1749 posts
2 upvotes
I used this stuff this winter and I didn't find it to be all that good. It works ... but I wouldn't say it is any better than regular salt and maybe even worse. Anyone else used it and have thoughts?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
2865 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
sjweyman wrote:
Mar 18th, 2008 12:38 pm
I used this stuff this winter and I didn't find it to be all that good. It works ... but I wouldn't say it is any better than regular salt and maybe even worse. Anyone else used it and have thoughts?
Have used it a lot this winter and I find it works great. One thing to keep in mind is the conditions that this stuff and regular salt work well for. Salt is only effective only down to a certain temperature (I think around -8 or -10C) and then it won't melt anything, although it's useful for traction. Alaskan Ice Melter and other synthetics work in colder temperatures, but they're smaller in size so don't work well for traction.

If it's cold out and you just throw this stuff down, it'll melt some of the ice into water, but if you don't deal with it right away, the water will just freeze into ice again so you may wonder what it accomplished. The best way to use it would be to throw it down, wait for it to melt (this stuff melts fast; I can literally watch it melt into the ice most of the time), then scrape away the ice once holes have been melted into in.

I usually mix it with some regular salt to cover all bases and to save some money.
Mar 16, 2004
423 posts
I've used regular salt and this Alaskan stuff and I find it works better because it lasts for several days.

however, the bad thing about it is that because it's so small you tend to sprinkle more of it without even realizing it.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14316 posts
91 upvotes
Mississauga
I've been using this stuff for years, great product.

Conversely, the 'environmentaly-friendly' ice melter stuff they sell in bag is complete garbage. Its 75% cat litter. That stuff makes a real mess after the snow is gone.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Apr 6, 2006
214 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver BC
Picked up this yesterday at the Langley BC location. $4.97 now, they had about half a skid (I didn't see any in the rackings immediately above).
Mar 6, 2011
1 posts
Kelowna, BC, Canada
I bought a tub of the Alaskan Ice Melter from Costco last year and recently used it on my concrete driveway. What a mess it has made! I have taken pictures and will be going back to Costco and also the company that makes this product.

*** MY DRIVEWAY IS RUINED! *** > :(

The concrete is flaking only after 3-4 days and the rest of the driveway is pitted with what looks like the moon's surface. Maybe I got a bad batch? The stuff I'm using is obviously very caustic and corrosive. I am very fruestrated and now have to start looking for legal and also professional advice.

My recommendation: DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT!

:(
× < >