Home & Garden

Costco Amarr current price 8x7 garage door?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2012 12:15 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 2, 2007
180 posts
16 upvotes
Mississauga

Costco Amarr current price 8x7 garage door?

Hi,

I am looking into the Costco Amarr Fimbel Olympus 8x7 Model 500 garage door. I've been quoted at home for $800 for the door, $200 for windows plus GST. Standard install.

Just checking into these former threads:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/group-bu ... st-807349/

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/group-bu ... rs-811625/

It seems the same or similar Olympus 500 was going for $650 a few years ago.... SO has the prices risen $150 on the door OR was my quote miscalculated.
Also the current installer is not ProMaster but Garage Door Depot.
I'd like to compare prices to anyone else who has got a quote recently and/or have any pearls of wisdom to share! Would like to pull the trigger soon.
Thanks!
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6029 posts
972 upvotes
Mississauga
I'll assume the pricing you received was through Costco? When I did my research I called several stores other then Costco and compared apples to apples and no one could beat Costco's price on the door. The pricing I received was at a kiosko that ProMasters was at, now I don't know if they were quoting sale prices but I included all hardware and installation in my quote. The door I received the quote on was a different size and model so pricing is of no value to you.

I've received other quotes on furnace, blinds etc, and found it was much cheaper to bypass Costco except in the case of garage doors.

If someone knows of a better pricing then Costco for the Amarr door I'd be interested in knowing. Again, I'm comparing Amarr to Amarr therefore it's apples to apples.

I hope this info helps in your search.
[OP]
Oct 2, 2007
180 posts
16 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks for the reply. Yes this is a Costco quote. The kiosk doesn't give quote but send a rep to your house to do the quote. This new company Costco deals with does sound like individual franchises as the address given seems to be Richmond Hill yet I am in the west end and there are closer Garage door depot dealers. Just wondering if there is one uniform Costco price or does the dealer set the price.
Aug 20, 2007
83 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary
Maymybonneliveforever wrote:
Apr 25th, 2012 7:48 am
I've received other quotes on furnace, blinds etc, and found it was much cheaper to bypass Costco except in the case of garage doors.
Any experience in custom closets, Kitchen cabinets or granite counter tops? By bypass, do you mean going directly to the company that Costco uses for the services? I'm pretty surprised by that...
Dec 17, 2007
47 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
Costco garage doors are installed by Doormaster (dot ca) at least on the west side of GTA. I got a better deal by going directly to Doormaster because they had a free glass window promotion which I wanted. Service and installation was very good. I had it done last winter.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6029 posts
972 upvotes
Mississauga
d0000h wrote:
Apr 27th, 2012 11:56 pm
Any experience in custom closets, Kitchen cabinets or granite counter tops? By bypass, do you mean going directly to the company that Costco uses for the services? I'm pretty surprised by that...
Sorry, I meant to say, not deal with Coscto at all.
Slider wrote:
Apr 28th, 2012 8:25 am
Costco garage doors are installed by Doormaster (dot ca) at least on the west side of GTA. I got a better deal by going directly to Doormaster because they had a free glass window promotion which I wanted. Service and installation was very good. I had it done last winter.
I heard throught the grape vine that if the Coscto dealers offer a better price outside of the Costco pricing, Costco will drop them as supporting dealers since there would be no incentive for members to buy through Costco therefore that totally suprises me since I don't see why the dealers would jepordize the relationship.

Before, Costco used to deal with I believe Pro Masters or similar name and I asked about bypassing Costco to get a better price and they told me that Costco pricing would be better, they can't undercut Costco's price, even though they supplied and installed the doors. I was told they sell the door to Costco at wholesale pricing, Costco prices out the door and the dealer varified that they didn't sell for less direct.
Aug 20, 2007
83 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary
A coworker got $600 worth of Hunter Douglas custom blinds via Costco, he said Costco was the cheapest he could find (Calgary).
We're starting a kitchen reno, so we'll see what the Costco cabinet and granite counter top guys have to offer.

P.S. With an executive membership you can get 2% of your purchase back.

-Deuce-
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
Apr 28th, 2012 11:44 am
Sorry, I meant to say, not deal with Coscto at all.
I heard throught the grape vine that if the Coscto dealers offer a better price outside of the Costco pricing, Costco will drop them as supporting dealers since there would be no incentive for members to buy through Costco therefore that totally suprises me since I don't see why the dealers would jepordize the relationship.

Before, Costco used to deal with I believe Pro Masters or similar name and I asked about bypassing Costco to get a better price and they told me that Costco pricing would be better, they can't undercut Costco's price, even though they supplied and installed the doors. I was told they sell the door to Costco at wholesale pricing, Costco prices out the door and the dealer varified that they didn't sell for less direct.

Last yr I had Costco book a garage door estimate...the guy said he'd knock $150. off the price if we pretended Costco had nothing to do with it.
Felt sleazy and I had other projects on my list, so I passed.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Dec 17, 2007
47 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
Apr 28th, 2012 11:44 am

I just called couple of places for estimate including Doormaster and Costco. I did not know Costco dealt with Doormaster. By the time Dorrmaster received a message from Costco, they had already come by and given me a quote. Then they called me about Costco's call and recognized that they had already given me a quote.
× < >