• Oct 19th, 2017 9:28 am
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2003
4696 posts
506 upvotes
Toronto
djino wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 1:30 pm
And so does the Roku, Chromecast, and the FireTV. That setup isn't exclusive to the Apple TV.

djino
He’s talking about Apple TV’s TV app, which brings all these sources together into one. I don’t think any other box has this, but I could be wrong?
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
2462 posts
1727 upvotes
Toronto
slgta wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 11:42 am
At this price (even with the discount), I can buy two 4K Mi Box International version which runs Android TV. Why we need to pay for more to get Apple TV?!
It's more for those already in the apple ecosystem.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9656 posts
3974 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I'm in the Apple ecosystem (5K iMac, Retina MBP, soon iPhone X, former jb'd ATV2's years ago) but I have Nexus Players connected to our TV's.

What other stable devices do Youtube 4K and Netflix Ultra HD besides the new ATV, that I can maintain Kodi?
Dec 26, 2016
13 posts
4 upvotes
Thanks OP, This is a great deal for me to get my hands on the 4K Apple TV. I have been waiting for this for a while. I can't wait to see what titles from my iTunes movie library have been upgraded to 4K for free! Good Content is either hard to come by or expensive. Plus renting a movie in 4K at around $6 will be great VS buying a blu Ray.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25642 posts
5818 upvotes
GTHA
torontotuner wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 1:13 am
Thanks OP, This is a great deal for me to get my hands on the 4K Apple TV. I have been waiting for this for a while. I can't wait to see what titles from my iTunes movie library have been upgraded to 4K for free! Good Content is either hard to come by or expensive. Plus renting a movie in 4K at around $6 will be great VS buying a blu Ray.
Fyi, new releases will be around $7

iTunes Movie Rentals Get $6.99 Price Tier in Canada for Select Releases
http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/itune ... 99-canada/

The $6.99 rental price is the same for HD or SD quality, while the purchase price remains at $24.99 for the latest movies. But not all rentals are $6.99, as some remain at $5.99. Older titles are available to rent for $4.99 (like Starship Troopers, baby), while the pricing varies depending on title.

Back in 2013, iTunes movie rentals in Canada dropped to $4.99 from $5.99. Fast forward to 2017 and we’re now paying up to $6.99 for new releases. All iTunes movie rentals include a 48 hour window to finish watching your movie.
Mar 25, 2006
891 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
does anyone know if Costco online will have 64GB model any time soon?
I don't mind paying a bit more for more storage (never know how much storage you will need in the next couple years, so more is better)
(someone mentioned about it being available at the warehouse this Friday)
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
3175 posts
460 upvotes
Ottawa
bingo_jake wrote: does anyone know if Costco online will have 64GB model any time soon?
I don't mind paying a bit more for more storage (never know how much storage you will need in the next couple years, so more is better)
(someone mentioned about it being available at the warehouse this Friday)
I will try 32gb first, if I like it, maybe return it for a 64gb one.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2009
1044 posts
158 upvotes
slgta wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 11:42 am
At this price (even with the discount), I can buy two 4K Mi Box International version which runs Android TV. Why we need to pay for more to get Apple TV?!
Because I can't get the Bell Fibe TV App on an Android box.
Mar 24, 2016
238 posts
239 upvotes
scarborough
u0dcameron wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 10:45 am
Because I can't get the Bell Fibe TV App on an Android box.
Bell fibe Tv is now available on the Google play store
Mar 25, 2006
891 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
explorer11 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 10:48 am
Bell fibe Tv is now available on the Google play store
is the app for Android TV boxes or phones/tablets?
Could someone who has Bell Fibe TV, please test the app on an Android box like Nvidia Shield, ... and report if it can practically replace a bell HD receiver?

(one of the reason for me considering Apple TV is to replace my Bell Fibe TV receiver, otherwise I would get a Shield)
Mar 25, 2006
891 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
sonyHdr12 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 10:32 am
I will try 32gb first, if I like it, maybe return it for a 64gb one.
well, the whole point of ordering online is to use the MasterPass promo, not sure what happens to the $25 promo value if you return a purchase. you may not be able to use it again on another purchase.
Jun 29, 2011
183 posts
43 upvotes
NEPEAN
tk1000 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 5:35 pm
Fyi, Apple increased app size restriction for tvOS apps/games from 200MB to 4GB at the start of this year.

Source: http://9to5mac.com/2017/01/12/apple-tvo ... striction/
Can someone tell us how much space is used up by tvOS? I am not a huge game player, but if there is not a lot of space left after tvOS I may opt for 64GB version.
Dec 6, 2015
6 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver
bingo_jake wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 10:58 am
is the app for Android TV boxes or phones/tablets?
Could someone who has Bell Fibe TV, please test the app on an Android box like Nvidia Shield, ... and report if it can practically replace a bell HD receiver?

(one of the reason for me considering Apple TV is to replace my Bell Fibe TV receiver, otherwise I would get a Shield)
Not sure if this is the info you're looking for but I just bought a Sony Android TV and attempted to download the Bell Fibe TV app to it. It won't even come up in searches of the Google Play Store so I'm unable to download it to the TV. I suspect it only works on phones/tablets at the moment. I was hoping the TV would access the app but looks like i'll be off to buy an Apple TV as well.
Dec 22, 2001
669 posts
72 upvotes
djino wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 1:27 pm
Perhaps you should have tried better streaming devices like the FireTV or the Roku (and even chromecast).

Granted, I get the appeal of wanting a device that simply works. I am a current iPhone 6S user (and have been a former Android smartphone user), so I get the appeal of wanting to stay in the Apple ecosystem with its Apple TV. But if you take a clear objective look at what they are offering in comparison to the last generation and in comparison to other 4K streaming devices (such as the ones I just mentioned), I'm sure you would see that it simply isn't worth it at the current price point. You are simply just buying the name brand. <-- Which is fine if that is what you want to do, but no need to bundle it up with excuses that other devices are crippled with issues to justify it, because it simply isn't true.

djino
I have an ATV3, an ATV4 and a Roku3. The Roku3 was hands down my favourite streamer and I recommended it to everyone. Once I got my ATV4, my tune changed for the following
- Outside of Plex and Netflix, the quality of many of the apps is meh.
- No control of the DNS server it uses. This made proxying it for US content annoying. i dont do this anymore, so I dont care,
- Airplay and Homekit support on the ATV4.
- ATV UI is much slicker
- ATV is getting feature upgrades. My Roku has been stagnant since I bought it.
- SimpleControl integration is awesome.

That being said, I am not a power user. I dont use Plex all that often, - most of my content comes from Netflix. I dont care about 4K or HDR (yet...). Atmos is not something I care about either. So it all depends on what you want.

ALL that being said, I'm in the market to replace my ATV3. I will probably end up with this, but since I already have an ATV4, I may go with something else.
Mar 25, 2006
891 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
bnesr1 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 11:08 am
Not sure if this is the info you're looking for but I just bought a Sony Android TV and attempted to download the Bell Fibe TV app to it. It won't even come up in searches of the Google Play Store so I'm unable to download it to the TV. I suspect it only works on phones/tablets at the moment. I was hoping the TV would access the app but looks like i'll be off to buy an Apple TV as well.
thanks, yes, that's what I thought, I already have the android app (which is not new) on android phone too which is OK, but I was hoping for an app similar to the one for Apple TV for Android TV boxes.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)