[Costco] Apple TV 4K 32 GB $194.99/ 64GB $209.99 with Masterpass

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2017 9:28 am
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
3175 posts
460 upvotes
Ottawa
bingo_jake wrote: well, the whole point of ordering online is to use the MasterPass promo, not sure what happens to the $25 promo value if you return a purchase. you may not be able to use it again on another purchase.
That’s ok, you can use different MC right, just use another masterpass
Apr 22, 2014
705 posts
163 upvotes
, ON
I want the 64 GB one from Costco. What if I buy the 32 GB now, and once hope for the 64 GB one to show up before the promotion is over then return the 32 GB.

Costco will except opened apple tv right as long as all the packaging is there? Or, I can hang on to it and not open it first.

PS: Nevermind it looks like it only $25 per member.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
13356 posts
4167 upvotes
Gatineau
boojew wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 11:09 am
I have an ATV3, an ATV4 and a Roku3. The Roku3 was hands down my favourite streamer and I recommended it to everyone. Once I got my ATV4, my tune changed for the following
- Outside of Plex and Netflix, the quality of many of the apps is meh.
Thanks a lot for your input. Can you describe what apps you find great with the ATV that you find the quality lacking with Roku?
boojew wrote:
- No control of the DNS server it uses. This made proxying it for US content annoying. i dont do this anymore, so I dont care,
True, but I have a DD-WRT flashed router, so I can set which devices use the DNS server at the router level, which is what I do for my FireTV/Roku/Chromecast/Tablets
boojew wrote:
- Airplay and Homekit support on the ATV4.
- ATV UI is much slicker
- ATV is getting feature upgrades. My Roku has been stagnant since I bought it.
- SimpleControl integration is awesome.
In your opinion, are those features alone (which Roku does have workarounds for) really worth the premium you are paying for the ATV?
boojew wrote:
That being said, I am not a power user. I dont use Plex all that often, - most of my content comes from Netflix. I dont care about 4K or HDR (yet...). Atmos is not something I care about either. So it all depends on what you want.

ALL that being said, I'm in the market to replace my ATV3. I will probably end up with this, but since I already have an ATV4, I may go with something else.
I really appreciate your input. Thanks.

djino
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
3175 posts
460 upvotes
Ottawa
You think too much, the rule is buy first think later.
anotherbargainhunter wrote: I want the 64 GB one from Costco. What if I buy the 32 GB now, and once hope for the 64 GB one to show up before the promotion is over then return the 32 GB.

Costco will except opened apple tv right as long as all the packaging is there? Or, I can hang on to it and not open it first.

PS: Nevermind it looks like it only $25 per member.
May 18, 2010
406 posts
55 upvotes
Ottawa
u0dcameron wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 10:45 am
Because I can't get the Bell Fibe TV App on an Android box.
Do you find that the Fibe TV App is a bit difficult to control on ATV? Maybe I just need to get used to it
May 18, 2010
406 posts
55 upvotes
Ottawa
bingo_jake wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 9:44 am
does anyone know if Costco online will have 64GB model any time soon?
I don't mind paying a bit more for more storage (never know how much storage you will need in the next couple years, so more is better)
(someone mentioned about it being available at the warehouse this Friday)
My sources say that the 64 gb is delayed till October 10 for in store arrival.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2009
1044 posts
158 upvotes
Chancy21 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 12:22 pm
Do you find that the Fibe TV App is a bit difficult to control on ATV? Maybe I just need to get used to it
I find myself using my harmony remote mostly with it instead of the apple remote, I still keep the apple remote nearby because it's handy to use siri vs typing when searching for something.
Mar 25, 2006
891 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
Chancy21 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 12:23 pm
My sources say that the 64 gb is delayed till October 10 for in store arrival.
any idea when it will be available online?
Dec 22, 2001
669 posts
72 upvotes
djino wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 11:33 am
Thanks a lot for your input. Can you describe what apps you find great with the ATV that you find the quality lacking with Roku?
Only one that I can remember is Crackle, but there were 2-3 others. Many of them just had a shittier UI or were slower. Also, for the most part, I prefer my ATV4 to my Bell fibe STB.

djino wrote:
True, but I have a DD-WRT flashed router, so I can set which devices use the DNS server at the router level, which is what I do for my FireTV/Roku/Chromecast/Tablets
Sure, I used to run DDWRT, but I dont anymore and I honestly couldnt be bothered. Also, when you set your DNS - are you doing it per device or globally on your network? Doing it globally could put you in a bad position for a MitM attack as I dont trust all of these DNS services. But yes, this is a valid option - just not for me.

djino wrote:
In your opinion, are those features alone (which Roku does have workarounds for) really worth the premium you are paying for the ATV?
For me, it was Airplay + Homekit that sealed the deal. The Fibe app also helps. Means I can save $60/year on an STB. I also like some of the games, but that is not a huge draw for me. If none of those apply to you, then I would say get something cheaper - or an Nvidia Shield

I really appreciate your input. Thanks.

djino
[/quote]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
13356 posts
4167 upvotes
Gatineau
boojew wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 2:01 pm
Sure, I used to run DDWRT, but I dont anymore and I honestly couldnt be bothered. Also, when you set your DNS - are you doing it per device or globally on your network? Doing it globally could put you in a bad position for a MitM attack as I dont trust all of these DNS services. But yes, this is a valid option - just not for me.
DD-WRT allows you to set it per device at the router. As mentioned, I assign my Roku/FireTV/Chromecast/Tablets to use the DNS Server. All other devices on my network use another. DD-WRT allows for this functionality.
boojew wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 2:01 pm
For me, it was Airplay + Homekit that sealed the deal. The Fibe app also helps. Means I can save $60/year on an STB. I also like some of the games, but that is not a huge draw for me. If none of those apply to you, then I would say get something cheaper - or an Nvidia Shield
I don't have Bell/Cable service, as my household is setup with OTA + Plex Pass to record all my TV shows.

Thanks for your input though, I don't think getting the ATV is a good idea for my needs at this time.

djino
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9656 posts
3974 upvotes
Southern Ontario
djino wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 1:27 pm

Perhaps you should have tried better streaming devices like the FireTV or the Roku (and even chromecast).

Granted, I get the appeal of wanting a device that simply works. I am a current iPhone 6S user (and have been a former Android smartphone user), so I get the appeal of wanting to stay in the Apple ecosystem with its Apple TV. But if you take a clear objective look at what they are offering in comparison to the last generation and in comparison to other 4K streaming devices (such as the ones I just mentioned), I'm sure you would see that it simply isn't worth it at the current price point. You are simply just buying the name brand. <-- Which is fine if that is what you want to do, but no need to bundle it up with excuses that other devices are crippled with issues to justify it, because it simply isn't true.

djino
Do you or anyone know what in this Netflix Ultra HD list does Kodi, and is stable?

Air 7410X (Waoo! in Denmark)
Airtel Hybrid (India)
AirTV Player
Amazon Fire TV (New Version)
Apple TV 4K
BANDOTT BA101 (FLnet in Taiwan)
British Telecom - BT DTRT-4000
Broadcom VIP5662 (Bell Canada)
Chromecast Ultra
Dish Hopper 3
Dish 4K Joey (ZiP110)
DNA TV-hubi
Deutsche Telekom (4K capable models)
Fetch Mighty
KPN, Telfort, XS4ALL ZXV8001
New Vodafone TV (Spain)
Nvidia Shield
Orange Livebox Play 4 in France
Orange Livebox Play in Spain
Partner TV
PCCW nowOne
Pik TV (Telus Canada)
PlayStation 4 Pro
Proximus Decoder
Roku (4K capable models)
Sagem 4K (Totalplay in Mexico)
SFR-LaBoxV3 and SFR-Numericable STB7
Sunrise DIW384
TDC TV Box YS-4000
Telecom Italia TIMvision (4K capable models)
TiVo Bolt
UHD Swisscom TV-Box
Virgin Media - V6 powered by TiVo
Vodafone TV (Italy)
Xbox One S
May 18, 2010
406 posts
55 upvotes
Ottawa
bingo_jake wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 1:30 pm
any idea when it will be available online?
No, but best guess is October 10 as well. Could be wrong though. I sure hope so, so I can return the one I got from apple on launch day. hahaha
May 7, 2010
72 posts
42 upvotes
Thanks OP. Picked one up to see how it compares against the NVIDIA Shield. So far, I've found the box to be lacking in comparison to the Shield. Here is my initial feedback:

Cons:
  • Does not support DTS passthrough.
    If you have a surround sound set up and have a bunch of titles with DTS sound, then this will disappoint you. DTS audio will need to be transcoded to PCM or DD. The NVIDIA Shield does not have any problems with DTS passthrough. It can handle any format you throw at it.
  • Siri's universal search does not search through Plex library.
    Majority of my content comes from Plex and I was disappointed to see that Siri cannot search through my Plex library. It's great at finding what I'm looking for, but it only shows results in iTunes. With the new Google Assistant update for the Shield, it is able to search through my Plex library.
  • More cumbersome to install Kodi and gaming emulators
    Installing Kodi is possible, but you need to install it via XCode and need a developer account. On the Shield, you can simply install Kodi via Google Play as well as gaming emulators
  • No HDHomeRun app for tvOS
    I have a HDHomeRun which streams local channels over my network from my HD antenna. I was disappointed to see that there's no official app for tvOS, but is available for iOS. On the Shield, there is an official app and it also integrates nicely with Google's Live Channels app. For tvOS, you can buy an app called Channels for $34.99 or set up a Plex server with Live TV integration.
  • No support for external storage.
    The Shield has support for external storage via USB, microSD
  • No remote app for Android
    The Android TV remote app is available on both iOS and Android. Apple's TV remote app is only available for iPhone which I do not have.
Pros:
  • Has apps that are not officially available on the Shield
    NHL.tv and NBC Sports come to mind. However, if you use a Canadian account, then you will find the app stores to be lacking on both the Shield and Apple TV. If you use a US account, then you will get more use out of the box, which also applies to the Shield.
  • Box is fast, UI is fluid
  • Apple Wallpapers are nice
  • Dolby Vision support
  • IR support
    The Shield 1st gen had support for IR on the base model. The 2nd gen Shield removed IR capability on the base model and only have it on the Pro model. IR functionality is useful if you have an older Harmony Remote.

Everyone's use case for a streaming device will be different depending on how they consume their content. But for my needs, I found the NVIDIA Shield to be superior.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
13356 posts
4167 upvotes
Gatineau
^^ Excellent and informative feedback. That's the type of info I like to see.

djino

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)