• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 11:59 am
[OP]
Nov 6, 2006
510 posts
18 upvotes

Costco Assurant Max Protection for cell phone

Hi,

Does someone bought and used Costco cell phone protection plan : "Assurant Max Protection" ??

They sell it for 130$ for a warranty for 2 years. It protects you from any damage, crack, drop etc ...
You are allowed to replace 4 times within the 2 years but you have to pay 80$ to get
it replaced each time .

How smooth is the process to get a replacement ? Do you get ne device or refurbished ?
Any feedback os welcomed ! !

Thanks
15 replies
May 12, 2004
732 posts
77 upvotes
Different name and increased price when I got it for our Note 5. It was a very smooth process when I had to submit an accident claim. Called in, verified the IMEI, they sent a postage paid return package, got a cheque for cost of phone as they didn't have the same model. Minus the deductible of course.
[OP]
Nov 6, 2006
510 posts
18 upvotes
Tennoh wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 12:48 pm
Different name and increased price when I got it for our Note 5. It was a very smooth process when I had to submit an accident claim. Called in, verified the IMEI, they sent a postage paid return package, got a cheque for cost of phone as they didn't have the same model. Minus the deductible of course.
Okay, so when the phone is not available anymore, they sent you a cheque not the current phone available on the market that cost about the same price !

What do you mean the deductible ? is it the 80$ that you have to pay to get the exchange ?

Thanks
May 12, 2004
732 posts
77 upvotes
Deductible is the cost to initiate an accidental damage claim; for you its the $80 amount. They will not give you an equivalent value phone currently available. If they don't have exactly the same, they will cut you a cheque instead. In my Note 5 case, they didn't even bother to check if there was a different colour. No silver Note 5 64GB, so they sent money instead..
May 12, 2004
732 posts
77 upvotes
For phones, with Costco Assurant, its irrelevant determining market value. They take the cost from your Costco invoice that you registered at the beginning of plan. They don't provide an equivalent value phone if they don't have exact model replacement (new or refurbished). In this case they provide the returned money minus deductible if there is one. Very simple with only negative is time to get pre-paid shipping/send back/wait for cheque.
[OP]
Nov 6, 2006
510 posts
18 upvotes
Tennoh wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 5:04 pm
For phones, with Costco Assurant, its irrelevant determining market value. They take the cost from your Costco invoice that you registered at the beginning of plan. They don't provide an equivalent value phone if they don't have exact model replacement (new or refurbished). In this case they provide the returned money minus deductible if there is one. Very simple with only negative is time to get pre-paid shipping/send back/wait for cheque.
Thanks for the information.

Basically, you have to have a backup phone if something happend to your phone since the process can take some time and you are not sure if you get a new phone or a cheque..
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2800 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, I purchased it previously for a Nexus 6P I had, and the experience was positive. Ended up with the battery issue for the phone, gave them a call they just asked for the copy of the receipt and said since they don't have any refurb/replacement 6P's they'd send a cheque for the value of the 6P - which I received less than a week later.

Whole process was painless and straight forward. It's worth it i'd say mainly due to the point above where they don't take 'current market value' and base it on original invoice values.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Jul 30, 2017
86 posts
15 upvotes
How would that type of plan not get abused to all hell? What would stop someone from buying a $1200 phone today, getting this plan, and in 2 years time deliberately smashing their phone and putting in a claim? If they just cut you a cheque for the initial purchase price of the phone, you could then get a new current flagship phone and pay nothing for the upgrade (barring the deductible and price of the plan).
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2800 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
jdh799 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:41 pm
How would that type of plan not get abused to all hell? What would stop someone from buying a $1200 phone today, getting this plan, and in 2 years time deliberately smashing their phone and putting in a claim? If they just cut you a cheque for the initial purchase price of the phone, you could then get a new current flagship phone and pay nothing for the upgrade (barring the deductible and price of the plan).
You only get a cheque if they don't have replacement units of your model; and they still do validate the issue. When you send your old phone back they have you agree to a disclaimer that the issue must be valid otherwise you risk being charged or something along those lines if my memory serves correctly.

In any case, they can only validate so far when you're dealing with people over the phone - so if you try to fake it, they'll find out eventually most likely when you send it in.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Jul 30, 2017
86 posts
15 upvotes
Chrispy wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:20 am
You only get a cheque if they don't have replacement units of your model; and they still do validate the issue. When you send your old phone back they have you agree to a disclaimer that the issue must be valid otherwise you risk being charged or something along those lines if my memory serves correctly.

In any case, they can only validate so far when you're dealing with people over the phone - so if you try to fake it, they'll find out eventually most likely when you send it in.
But, all you have to do to create a "valid issue" is take your phone and drop it off a 10th story balcony onto concrete. Then, the phone will be shattered, and you will have a legitimate issue that requires replacement, even though it was deliberate. How would they prove it was on purpose?
May 12, 2004
732 posts
77 upvotes
Through honesty? Abuse of this is what's causing the prices to go up. The base plan and deductibles have increased since my replacement experience based on overall costs of devices and most likely popularity of replacements. Also note the plan is tiered to cost of device. To cover your$1200 phone, the plan/deductible costs more than it would a $600 phone.
Jul 17, 2007
301 posts
15 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Spoke to Costco rep. This is a new warranty provider and plan. They only give refurbished replacement devices and no more cheques.
[OP]
Nov 6, 2006
510 posts
18 upvotes
dragontea wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 6:53 am
Spoke to Costco rep. This is a new warranty provider and plan. They only give refurbished replacement devices and no more cheques.
Thanks for the information dragontea.

What happened if they dont have any refurbished left ?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
2426 posts
676 upvotes
GTA
Yes, the old provider Asurion did issue cheques if an exact replacement was not available. This is not the case with Assurant (different company), who will provide you with a replacement for your device or one of greater value and acceptable to you.