Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Asus Zenfone 4 64GB $199.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2019 11:58 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1692 posts
289 upvotes
Calgary
I'm no expert but I am not impressed with the camera compared to the LG G6 . Does anyone know offhand if the camera specs are superior or inferior to the G6? The phone seems fine otherwise but if I can't tweak the camera to at least match the G6 then I'm going back.

I'd love to get a G7 Thinq or G8 but so far they remain unaffordable.

My G6 still works fine except for battery and that is mitigated with using a power bank when I travel. Otherwise I can't think of one flaw. There's a lot of hate for LG phones on RFD but my experience has been positive.

I just want a camera that is slightly better than the G6 in low light especially. And macro.
Dec 29, 2017
498 posts
579 upvotes
G6 has a marginally better rear camera, 12 vs 13 MP.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11273 upvotes
track2 wrote: G6 has a marginally better rear camera, 12 vs 13 MP.
There is ALOT more to camera quality then raw MP.

The G6 camera is far better then the Zenfone, especially if you use GCam.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
1555 posts
659 upvotes
Ottawa
AMD wrote: Both WiFi frequencies work fine.

NFC is available on the phone. I tried setting it up but me CC provider does not support it.
I have played with the NFC with Amiibos and Presto cards, and it seems to work okay. One weird thing is that the sensitive area is the top left of the screen, not the back like most other phones.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32147 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
kotoula wrote: I just want a camera that is slightly better than the G6 in low light especially.
I would guess the flash is under powered hence low light photos suck.
An example, my Moto G6 play camera is quite a bit better then my Nexus 4 camera (5 years has led to better sensors). But its low light photos are not so great, even reviewers have repeatedly said this. The flash on the G6 play is maybe half the brightness of the Nexus 4 which is probably why the newer phone takes good daylight pics but poor low light pics.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Feb 11, 2008
374 posts
165 upvotes
Halifax
I downloaded the Android 9 Pie (beta) from the Asus support site and installed it on my new Zenfone 4. No problem and all went well. Tough to see any major improvements yet but I need to research and try out the new features.
Anyone else try it!
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
4251 posts
2615 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
mabba18 wrote: I have played with the NFC with Amiibos and Presto cards, and it seems to work okay. One weird thing is that the sensitive area is the top left of the screen, not the back like most other phones.
Was trying to use the NFC payment for the first time with this phone... placed my phone near the terminal like I used to (with previous phone) and it wasn't working. Was about to give up, then remembered reading your post! Turned the phone over and sure enough, it worked! Wonder how many people might not realize the need to place the phone face down vs face up? :rolleyes:

Thanks!
I can't afford to save that much!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2004
5083 posts
2804 upvotes
Edmonton
kotoula wrote: I'm no expert but I am not impressed with the camera compared to the LG G6 . Does anyone know offhand if the camera specs are superior or inferior to the G6? The phone seems fine otherwise but if I can't tweak the camera to at least match the G6 then I'm going back.

I'd love to get a G7 Thinq or G8 but so far they remain unaffordable.

My G6 still works fine except for battery and that is mitigated with using a power bank when I travel. Otherwise I can't think of one flaw. There's a lot of hate for LG phones on RFD but my experience has been positive.

I just want a camera that is slightly better than the G6 in low light especially. And macro.
Do you find overall the photos arent that crisp? I have an old lg g3 and it's prob better than that, but it's not like the photos are coming out super amazing.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2004
5083 posts
2804 upvotes
Edmonton
coffenk wrote: I downloaded the Android 9 Pie (beta) from the Asus support site and installed it on my new Zenfone 4. No problem and all went well. Tough to see any major improvements yet but I need to research and try out the new features.
Anyone else try it!
I installed it and then put a gcam port on. Way better photos from the Google camera..Seems snappy enough with the Pie beta.

Anyone find a decent screen protector?
Feb 11, 2008
374 posts
165 upvotes
Halifax
I was trying to figure out how to install the Google camera but couldn't find any compatible versions. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!
May 26, 2012
372 posts
208 upvotes
Montreal
I have a Zenphone 4 and the battery life is quite good for my usage. I need to charge it approximately once in 3 days.
But when I look at the specs:
Zenphone 4 1080 x 1920 pixels, 3300 mAh Vs Moto G7 Power 720 x 1570 pixels, 5000 mAh.
Moto G7 obviously has the Power :)
This is a reply to the above post.
Dec 12, 2007
128 posts
53 upvotes
coffenk wrote: I was trying to figure out how to install the Google camera but couldn't find any compatible versions. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

Yup, noob here too. A pointer or link to the correct files would also be appreciated. First foray in droid world.........................stumbling along.....
Dec 29, 2017
498 posts
579 upvotes
2 weeks of use and I am impressed with the phone. hold battery full day! 7am to 10pm
Some android glitches here and there but nothing major. Build quality is superb.

A collegue of mine, a die-hard iphone fan, was impressed with the camera compared to iphone X, especially at $200 range.