Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 24, 2007
310 posts
50 upvotes
Kelowna

Costco baby formula discontinued?

Recently the Costco in Kelowna stopped carrying their Kirkland omega 3 baby formula. They still have the cheaper iron fortified formula, but that's not what we've been using. It's a bit disappointing because our daughter is about 8 1/2 months old and we'd rather not change brands.

What I was wondering is if this change is Costco-wide, or if other Costcos are still carrying it? I'm especially interested in the Vancouver Costco's since I could make a daytrip over there and stock up, but I'm curious whether or not it is available elsewhere as well.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
2930 posts
2308 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know if they're discontinued, but they have definitely run out (at least here in the GTA). About a month ago, we were ready to switch to formula, and I had to search around for the Omega 3 Kirkland ones. In about three locations, only one had it and not that many left. I picked up enough to last the kid to about 1 year old, when they will switch to whole milk. I have not seen any more stocked since.

I think Costco's formula shipments are erratic. I've noticed the last few years that sometimes some locations don't have ANY formula for weeks at a time, while others might have one or the other (but usually the normal iron-fortified one), and only some have both.

The best thing to do would be to email them (look around on costco.ca and they have different forms for warehouse vs. online inquiries) and hopefully they'll pass your question to their baby products buyer. I've emailed Costco with product questions previously and have received good answers.

The Kirkland Omega 3 ones are made by Similac, by the way, if you need an immediate (but more expensive) substitute.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1471 posts
136 upvotes
We were at the Calgary south location and wanted to pick some up. The kid has been drinking that stuff for the last month. We saw only the regular formula and asked the staff if they had the Omega stuff. They told us that it was discontinued but it might be back at some point in the future if it gets re-formulated. We picked up a can of the regular stuff instead and the kid seems to still like it. He's never had a problem with eating though and will consume pretty much anything.
[OP]
Sep 24, 2007
310 posts
50 upvotes
Kelowna
Thanks for the replies. I did buy the Kelowna Costco's remaining stock (7 cans) which will last us about 7 weeks.

It doesn't sound very likely that they will start carrying it again before we're done with it, so I'll probably end up buying Similac for the last few months if I can't locate any in Vancouver (or perhaps Kamloops).
[OP]
Sep 24, 2007
310 posts
50 upvotes
Kelowna
Just an update to this... I spoke to the staff at the Kelowna Costco and was told this formula is marked as "P" which means "Pending Deletion". In other words, the product will no longer be carried which is unfortunate.

I guess I'll keep an eye out for deals on Similac Advance which seems to be the same thing.
[OP]
Sep 24, 2007
310 posts
50 upvotes
Kelowna
Hmm, does anyone know if there's duty or restrictions on importing infant formula? This might be an option, even if I have to pay tax on it.

I wonder if Costco in Canada plans on stocking this? It might explain why they're no longer carrying their own brand.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1471 posts
136 upvotes
I haven't looked to see if there would be any duty or restrictions but my first thought would be no. It should be duty free and without restrictions. I might check it out at some point if we plan a trip down to Montana. Our kid likes the Kirkland stuff (both the, no longer available, Omega and regular stuff.) I think the Omega stuff was better in terms of nutrients so it would be nice to have that.

From my understanding the Similac stuff has been in Costco USA for a number of years while not being available in Canada. Maybe that will change in the future but I wouldn't wait for that to happen.

Dr, have you looked to see how good a deal the Costco USA Similac is? If I remember correctly the Kirkland Omega was ~$21 for 9xx grams. I'm not sure how many grams equivalent the 34 ounce package is.
[OP]
Sep 24, 2007
310 posts
50 upvotes
Kelowna
The Kirkland stuff definitely was cheaper. I haven't priced out Similac Advance locally at all, so the Costco USA price might not be cheaper. I did look online at several local flyers but I wasn't able to find Similac Advance advertised in any of them. This weekend we have some shopping to do, so I'll price it out then.
[OP]
Sep 24, 2007
310 posts
50 upvotes
Kelowna
Below is the email response I received from Costco regarding this formula:
We are switching vendors but will not have the new formulation until probably December due to Health Canada regulatory requirements, as the government does not work very fast, it might be even longer. We apologize for any inconvenience.
BTW, Similac Advance is currently on sale at Walmart. It is quite a bit more expensive than the Kirkland formula was, but cheaper than buying it from Costco in the USA.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1471 posts
136 upvotes
It is good to hear that Costco might be bringing back the Omega formula.

I saw the stuff in the Walmart flyer but we'll be sticking with the regular Costco formula for now.

I wonder where all the Omega formula they had in stock went? I can't imagine they sold it all off in store because it was gone so suddenly. I didn't see any clearance pricing on it. There must be a warehouse full of that stuff somewhere.
[OP]
Sep 24, 2007
310 posts
50 upvotes
Kelowna
We called the Costco in Kamloops this morning and found out that they had 83 tins of the Omega 3 & 6 formula in stock. We drove out there and picked up enough to last until our daughter switches to whole milk.

We also learned something interesting in the process. When the price tags on the shelf have a * in the upper right, that means the item is being discontinued.

Anyway, if anyone is looking to pick up this formula and is within driving distance of Kamloops, they still have about 60 tins left.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1471 posts
136 upvotes
It may be specific to the Costco I visit but here they also highlight the item number when it is/will be discontinued.

Nice find with the remaining formula.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
2930 posts
2308 upvotes
Toronto
Was at Costco today (GTA: Warden and Ellesmere) and they now have new Kirkland Omega 3 formula. New packaging, 1.46 kg (i.e. really big tin), $23.99, made in USA by PBM Nutritionals. Googling it, PBM is a big manufacturer of store-branded formula (Walmart, etc.).

My youngest stopped using formula many months ago, but I wouldn't have any issues with buying this even though it's not made by a national brand (old Kirkland Omega 3 was made by a Similac factory in Ireland).

Didn't see any non-Omega 3 formula, under any brand, being sold, however.
[OP]
Sep 24, 2007
310 posts
50 upvotes
Kelowna
Yes, I saw this at our local Costco now as well, so it looks like this new formula is available chain-wide. My daughter is also off formula now, but this is good news for any new parents.

If we have another child, I'd have no problem using the new stuff, although I'd keep a close eye on Costco's stock just in case they dropped it again.
× < >