None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
3722 posts
444 upvotes
Scarborough

costco blacklisted my account?

A few months ago I went shopping at costco, (im an executive member), and when I was asked to pay, I pulled out my debit card as usual but for some reason it was rejected. Ever since then my pc financial debit card has never worked at their stores or at their gas pumps. So the next time I went to costco I decided to pay using my scotia debit card. It worked that time so I thought all was good. The next time I went to costco, now my scotia card is also rejected. I was enraged when I saw that since it was freezing cold, -40 deg with windshield outside and I just wanted to pump gas and go. So, now I want to know, has anything like this happened to any one else here, and if so what should I do?
11 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1223 upvotes
Sauga
What did Costco say when you asked them about it?
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3419 posts
625 upvotes
London
Rehan wrote:
Jan 9th, 2014 11:53 am
What did Costco say when you asked them about it?
lol
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
3722 posts
444 upvotes
Scarborough
to be honest I haven't called yet, their automated voice system is a pita to figure out and I want to know if something like this happened to anyone else
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
2324 posts
580 upvotes
Lindsay, ON
blaznazn22 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2014 12:00 pm
to be honest I haven't called yet, their automated voice system is a pita to figure out and I want to know if something like this happened to anyone else
A PITA to figure out? Ive never experienced anything likr you mention but I'd suggest calling as no one else knows your situation. So your Costco membership scans fine, but its your debit card that's being declined?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2012
2497 posts
604 upvotes
Toronto
cferguson23 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2014 12:43 pm
A PITA to figure out? Ive never experienced anything likr you mention but I'd suggest calling as no one else knows your situation. So your Costco membership scans fine, but its your debit card that's being declined?
haha, learning all types of lingo on RFD today.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
3722 posts
444 upvotes
Scarborough
cferguson23 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2014 12:43 pm
yes, all of my debit cards decline at costco, nowhere else, so its not the card problem.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7941 posts
1006 upvotes
Nevermind.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3826 posts
2997 upvotes
Toronto
If it was truly rejected, that means that Costco sent the transaction to the bank/payment processor (Moneris, etc.) and it responded back that there's a problem with your account. Therefore, it's an issue that you should take up with your bank. The bank should have a record of Costco's payment being attempted and the reason the bank rejected it. Otherwise, you just might have a card read error and it's wearing out. It's not unusual that some terminals are better at scanning cards than others. I have one credit card that never works at certain retailers unless I do the rub-the-magnetic-strip or similar tricks, but it works fine in most other retailers. A few cold days ago, I stopped by a gas station and half of their pumps' card readers weren't working properly because of the cold, which may also explain your Costco gas issue.

Either way, if Costco truly wanted to blacklist you, they would do that via your account, not blacklist individual debit cards. I may be wrong, but I think the payment processors are independent of the retailer.

What was the exact message on the gas station terminal and the terminal when you tried to check out?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
3722 posts
444 upvotes
Scarborough
jm1 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2014 2:04 pm
If it was truly rejected, that means that Costco sent the transaction to the bank/payment processor (Moneris, etc.) and it responded back that there's a problem with your account. Therefore, it's an issue that you should take up with your bank. The bank should have a record of Costco's payment being attempted and the reason the bank rejected it. Otherwise, you just might have a card read error and it's wearing out. It's not unusual that some terminals are better at scanning cards than others. I have one credit card that never works at certain retailers unless I do the rub-the-magnetic-strip or similar tricks, but it works fine in most other retailers. A few cold days ago, I stopped by a gas station and half of their pumps' card readers weren't working properly because of the cold, which may also explain your Costco gas issue.

Either way, if Costco truly wanted to blacklist you, they would do that via your account, not blacklist individual debit cards. I may be wrong, but I think the payment processors are independent of the retailer.

What was the exact message on the gas station terminal and the terminal when you tried to check out?
the exact message is just "declined", just that nothing else. Im taking your advice and calling my bank to make sure. As for the part about me being paranoid, I don't think its a problem with card reader being worn out, i mean this problem happened at a cashier as well as at 3 different pumps on different days using 2 different debit cards.
Banned
Oct 16, 2008
1010 posts
627 upvotes
suspect,costco bought defective scanners.
once the scanner fails to read your card.the security system kicks in and locks you out at all their scanners.
this happened to me at a loblaws store.failed to read card and locked me out of that scanner,proceeded to each scanner in the store and locked out of each one.went to my bank inserted card,worked fine and received my withdrawal.went to sobeys next door and no problem at the scanner.transaction went through.
took my cash back to loblaws and picked up my groceries. tried explaining there scanners and security system are misaligned and it was like a big yawn on there part,like so what.
it's the scanner malfunction invoking security.your card will not work anywhere on their system.ever.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
3722 posts
444 upvotes
Scarborough
well, i think my problem has been solved, at least for one of my debit cards. It seems that my card was flagged for whatever reason and had limited functionality. Limited being the card would work everywhere except costco.....thats some amazing security right there. Im going to do a pin reset and then test out the card again at a costco. Thanks for the help.