Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Costco - Blendtec Total Blender $449.99 & Vitamix Total Nutrition Centre ($499.99)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2013 11:06 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 11, 2009
174 posts
35 upvotes
My parents have both a Ninja and a Vitamix and I have used both extensively. While both do a superb job (aside from the Vitamix smoothies being a little smoother - not worth the $300 difference for that alone), the Ninja seems to have one strength and weekness over the Vitamix. I'm not sure if all models are like this, but our Ninja blender has a three blade system, with each blade being separated by about 3 inches. This is great because it ensures an even mixing of everything in the jar, but I see it as a problem as well. The motor is weaker and instead of only having to turn the blades at the bottom, it has to work harder since there are blades at three different locations. I think this may strain the motor in some situations. If the Ninja came with a jar when only blades at the bottom, I'd think it would be capable for any traditional blender job, but if you put in a lot of ice or frozen fruit as I like to do in my smoothies (my smoothies are all frozen fruit with a bit of yogurt and milk or cream - basically instant soft ice cream), I'd say go with the Blentec or Vitamix. Personally, once I move out, I'll be purchasing a Vitamix as I prefer to make a single good purchase and I push blenders pretty hard, having killed two in the past.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3199 posts
109 upvotes
Georgetown
StealthFinder wrote:
Nov 20th, 2012 1:43 pm
Tiberius agreed with your logic. Most folks do not use them like juicebars, making drinks by the dozens per day. A $50 blender for occasional use is just fine. Hey if you got the Moolah and want the best, then go for whatever tickles your fancy.
After having "regular" blenders that have frustrated me and performed inconsistently, and also having blenders die/burn-out (not being able to handle blending frozen fruit / ice over time).... I can see someone just deciding they want "quality" and knowing they have the best. I'm seriously considering a Vitamix for Christmas this year... but I know it's an... extravagence...
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2004
1038 posts
122 upvotes
Kanata
Tiberius wrote:
Nov 20th, 2012 1:48 pm
After having "regular" blenders that have frustrated me and performed inconsistently, and also having blenders die/burn-out (not being able to handle blending frozen fruit / ice over time).... I can see someone just deciding they want "quality" and knowing they have the best. I'm seriously considering a Vitamix for Christmas this year... but I know it's an... extravagence...
It's definitely an extravagance. My Blendtec was my Christmas AND birthday present from my wife AND my in-laws. It meant getting not much else for either event, but I have no regrets.
Jul 24, 2012
138 posts
10 upvotes
Edmonton
Tiberius wrote:
Nov 20th, 2012 1:48 pm
As Tom (from Parks and Recreation) would say "Treat Yourself Self", if you really want it.
Jun 22, 2009
190 posts
36 upvotes
Tiberius wrote:
Nov 20th, 2012 1:29 pm
The Ninja reviews seem to indicate it's blade structure doesn't result in "smooth" smoothies, etc. It leaves things... gritty? If a key use is smoothies, and you want them "smooth"... that would be a key factor.
I've owned a Ninja for about 8-9 months. I use it every morning to make smoothies, if you can call it that. It definitely leaves things gritty, especially if you use greens (kale, spinach, etc). I've never used a Vitamix/Blendtec so I can't compare (maybe that's a good thing).
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2010
1000 posts
34 upvotes
Aurora
Torn which to buy, I like the reliability of the Vitamix everyone speaks about. Stating that the motor is more heavily built than the Blendtec. Don't like the Vitamix plunger, it's another piece you'd have to wash after every use. Also the size of the Vitamix is rather large, doubt it would fit under most kitchen cabinetry. Hmm... Vitamix or Blendtec...
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4904 posts
747 upvotes
The tamper/plunger is an optional tool. Handy if you need to grind down materials (like if you're making ice cream using ice cubes as one example), but for soft foods it's not necessary. I don't have one and don't need one at the moment. If I get into making nut butters, ice cream, etc. then perhaps I might get one.

I keep my station on my kitchen island due to how frequently I use it, so there's no cabinetry above getting in the way. Or, rather, it doesn't get in the way of any cabinetry I have. :lol: Their smallest jar, 32oz, fits under kitchen cabinets. But that's silly, because even Blendtec's large-capacity jars still allow the unit to fit under cabinets.
Sep 27, 2009
378 posts
58 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
dammit too tempting
with a baby on the way spending way too much money but I always wanted a blendtec or a vitamix
Apr 23, 2008
179 posts
9 upvotes
Markham
FYI. We just came back from US Costco, the Vitamax that we picked up is $350 or $375 US. Looks just like the one from OP's link.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2010
1334 posts
125 upvotes
Calgary
I chose a Blendtec because the Vitamix is one of the most hideous looking appliances I've ever seen. Blendtec offers the same warranty, so why not go in style?

The Jugo Juice near my office uses Blendtecs and they fill them with juice and rock hard frozen fruit hundreds of times a day. My wife does the same with ours at home. No issues.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2005
3094 posts
342 upvotes
itr452 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2012 12:46 pm
dammit too tempting
with a baby on the way spending way too much money but I always wanted a blendtec or a vitamix
You can make fresh baby food with the blender
May 14, 2009
128 posts
15 upvotes
tyau wrote:
Nov 21st, 2012 1:22 pm
FYI. We just came back from US Costco, the Vitamax that we picked up is $350 or $375 US. Looks just like the one from OP's link.
+1!
We are heading to Michigan on Friday and I even called ahead to see if they carry the Vitamix. The lady mentioned that they do have the 5200 model on the shelves for $379 so that will be on my to buy list!
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
10367 posts
12611 upvotes
Montreal
itr452 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2012 12:46 pm
dammit too tempting
Guess it's a better excuse than mine explaining how the Mudslide " will be smoother " Oh and yes you can pulverize half a cow in it too for those lovely muddy baby meals
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
1075 posts
103 upvotes
Good deal on the blendtec as it comes with both the regular and wildside jar. It is basically the same price in the US.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3073 posts
272 upvotes
Markham
Blendtec, so I can play "Will it blend" at home. Who's got a spare iPhone or Galaxy S Note they want to lend me?
× < >