Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

[“Smoking” Hot] Canada Prime Brisket $9.99/kg[YMMV]

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2020 12:09 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2009
1338 posts
1205 upvotes
Calgary
Wonder if Costco is open tomorrow - ie good friday.
no sig
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
1138 posts
37 upvotes
Question.... I've never been to Costco Business center. Can you just walk in and buy a single brisket??? I checked online and they only sell by the boxes (25kg which I don't need).
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1764 posts
832 upvotes
Gunfunk wrote: What temp did u sous vide to?
I've done 144 for 36 hours, comes out a nice texture.
Jul 11, 2009
853 posts
887 upvotes
Toronto
CS-Source-ChallengeME! wrote: Question.... I've never been to Costco Business center. Can you just walk in and buy a single brisket??? I checked online and they only sell by the boxes (25kg which I don't need).
yes. you just need a costco membership. you can buy a single brisket. online store probably doesn't want to bother with delivery of a single unit.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
2639 posts
407 upvotes
Winnipeg
Spotted in Winnipeg a few weeks ago. They had 8-10 big briskets out
Nov 13, 2007
533 posts
269 upvotes
Montreal
Prime or AAA id just be happy if QC costcos offerred brisket... PERIOD!

otherwise im paying 7-8$ a lb for probably what is AA at the local butchers. Outrageous!
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2003
2056 posts
499 upvotes
Toronto
Don't have a smoker... Is Slow cooker OK for brisket or sacrilege?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3870 posts
1461 upvotes
Toronto
Any really good tried and test method for in oven for brisket ?
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
4249 posts
1672 upvotes
Belle River
samson wrote: Don't have a smoker... Is Slow cooker OK for brisket or sacrilege?
As I posted earlier I don't smoke them, I just do them in the oven for 14-16 hours. It's a completely different result, but still good. Same with pork shoulders, both are an easy way to make a good main that feeds a lot of people. Sometimes I only dry rub them similar to how you would when smoking. Other times I do them more like a traditional "roast" where in addition to seasoning I also add in onions, carrots, celery, etc., some on top with toothpicks to make sure they stay on top and let flavour goes down through slowly. Sometimes I also stab the meat with a small knife and force cloves of garlic in. I may or may not also drizzle oil over the veggies, you really can't mess them up, as I said easy as long as you can dedicate your oven for that many hours, very good, and feeds a lot of people.

Slow cooker I imagine the result is very similar to an oven. My sister does pork shoulders in a slow cooker, I don't like the way she flavours/sauces it but the meat is nice.

But a properly smoked brisket or pork shoulder, omg it's so good :).

Oh an oven tip if anyone is trying for the first time, I discovered that my oven automatically shuts off after 12 hours.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2003
2056 posts
499 upvotes
Toronto
hystavito wrote: As I posted earlier I don't smoke them, I just do them in the oven for 14-16 hours. It's a completely different result, but still good. Same with pork shoulders, both are an easy way to make a good main that feeds a lot of people. Sometimes I only dry rub them similar to how you would when smoking. Other times I do them more like a traditional "roast" where in addition to seasoning I also add in onions, carrots, celery, etc., some on top with toothpicks to make sure they stay on top and let flavour goes down through slowly. Sometimes I also stab the meat with a small knife and force cloves of garlic in. I may or may not also drizzle oil over the veggies, you really can't mess them up, as I said easy as long as you can dedicate your oven for that many hours, very good, and feeds a lot of people.

Slow cooker I imagine the result is very similar to an oven. My sister does pork shoulders in a slow cooker, I don't like the way she flavours/sauces it but the meat is nice.

But a properly smoked brisket or pork shoulder, omg it's so good :).

Oh an oven tip if anyone is trying for the first time, I discovered that my oven automatically shuts off after 12 hours.
Thanks... I am salivating reading your post and I had dinner an hour ago. :)
Aug 8, 2007
839 posts
732 upvotes
I was just at the Toronto Business Costco looking at their AAA brisket which was $8.95/kg and there were some marked Angus which got my attention but no prime there and I have never seen prime at the Business Costco. I was tempted but was also on my way to the RCSS to get prime rib so passed. We want to smoke but are amateurs just having tried once with our traeger and it was just so so. There are smaller sizes around or under 5kg at Costco which are good for our small family but my son says these are hard to smoke as you need to separate flat and tip and after doing so the pieces may just be too small. Any tips?
Oct 15, 2013
241 posts
127 upvotes
Quebec, Qc
MaxQc85 wrote: I never saw any brisket in Qc city area :(
Each time I go there, I'm checking for it
I’m from Qc city area too. Maybe we can group together and ask one of our three Costco to get some? I’m pretty sure they can do special orders if we’re like 15-20 customers asking for the same product at the same time. We could try to coordinate ourselves and order 3-4 times during summer.
Mar 24, 2017
27 posts
1 upvote
Are these briskets trimmed? I know brisket is usually fatty which gives the flavour.
If they aren’t trimmed, do you normally trim it yourself before cooking or just cook it as is?
Dec 19, 2006
875 posts
901 upvotes
Vancouver
hystavito wrote: Does the grade make a big difference with a brisket, and when you're slow cooking/smoking it over 12+ hours? I've never paid attention to grade for the briskets I've done, which are usually done in the oven for minimum 14-16 hours. Unfortunately I suck at smoking, I can't keep the fire steady, but I had a nicely smoked one a friend did and as someone else said, it was one of the best things I've ever eaten.
It does matter, because brisket requires long cook times and is a fairly lean cut of beef. The more intramuscular fat you can get, the juicier the brisket will be. AAA is probably the lowest quality you want to go for smoked brisket, and AA will just leave you with some pretty dry meat. More fat also means more flavour.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
2845 posts
2536 upvotes
Ontario
Rpdp18 wrote: Are these briskets trimmed? I know brisket is usually fatty which gives the flavour.
If they aren’t trimmed, do you normally trim it yourself before cooking or just cook it as is?
Look up Franklin how to trim a brisket.
Feb 23, 2011
242 posts
287 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Rpdp18 wrote: Are these briskets trimmed? I know brisket is usually fatty which gives the flavour.
Search for “Franklin bbq trim brisket” on YouTube. It’s a nice video on how to trim a brisket and explains the anatomy of the brisket.
Jul 11, 2009
853 posts
887 upvotes
Toronto
EYEAM2COOL4U wrote: I was just at the Toronto Business Costco looking at their AAA brisket which was $8.95/kg and there were some marked Angus which got my attention but no prime there and I have never seen prime at the Business Costco. I was tempted but was also on my way to the RCSS to get prime rib so passed. We want to smoke but are amateurs just having tried once with our traeger and it was just so so. There are smaller sizes around or under 5kg at Costco which are good for our small family but my son says these are hard to smoke as you need to separate flat and tip and after doing so the pieces may just be too small. Any tips?
i'd never separate the flat & point and i can't understand why you would do that. i assume you're trying texas style? basically get some diamond kosher salt, black peppercorns and a grinder that can grind pretty coarse. season generously and throw it on the smoker next to a bowl of water at 225°F with some oak. when the brisket reaches 160°F, wrap it in pink butcher paper (also available at Costco Business centre) and continue cooking to 195°F, no more. at that point, if you hold the brisket at one end, it should be limp and bend over on its weight. stop the heat and leave it in there to rest until it reaches 150°F, then slice 1/2" thick to order.

last year i did a 9 lb brisket. It took 4.5 hours to reach 160°F, then another 3 hours to reach 195°F, then another 2 hours to rest to 150°F, for a total of 9.5 hours.

it takes alot of trial and error. make notes each time you do it and try to correct something the next time. don't get discouraged if it doesn't come out well. the time it finally does come out, it'll be worth it.
Jul 11, 2009
853 posts
887 upvotes
Toronto
for smoking, the typical guideline is trim to 1/4" thick. i've tried trimming it, but i found it really difficult to not to trim too much (accidentally go overboard and trim most of the fat off so there's hardly any fat left, which may make it easier to have a dry brisket). basically you're trying to get rid of the rock hard fat (cuz it won't melt or render). i think 1/2" of soft fat is ok. these day's i suck so bad at trimming that i don't bother. i cross thatch the fat down to the meat so that some seasoning & smoke can get down to the meat, but unless it's crazy thick or hard, i'd just leave it alone. i tried smoking it fat down for the first time and it came out good. i'm sticking to that for now.
Dec 4, 2008
508 posts
59 upvotes
Montreal
You guys think $10/kg for Canadian Prime Brisket is "warm"?
Are you guys on crack?
A specialized butcher charges double for Canadian AAA.

This is a really good deal.

For all those who haven't had a good smoked brisket just watch this video:
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10483 posts
7617 upvotes
ON
Shaner wrote: Agreed. Best brisket I've ever had was when I smoked it, then sous vide for 30 hours, then sear. Best thing I've ever eaten to this day.

If my local Costco gets any in, I'll be buying a couple
What would you say the cost of that thing was with all the time and effort required ?
I don't doubt it tasted amazing, but I just don't have the patience and would've been nibbling at it at every stage...there would've been nothing left to sear.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)