Hot Deals

[Costco.ca] $199.99 OOMA Smart Home Security Kit with Butterfleye Camera (includes VOIP phone base plus sensors)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2019 8:21 am
[OP]
Jul 28, 2010
579 posts
226 upvotes

$199.99 OOMA Smart Home Security Kit with Butterfleye Camera (includes VOIP phone base plus sensors)

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
Costco.ca
Costco.ca has this bundle for $199.99, priced at $379.99 on ooma.ca. Butterfleye camera is decent, but not spectacular. Indoor only, battery, local storage. Includes ooma voip phone which is about $4/month, you can port a number (for a fee I believe).

Looks like there's a free plan, but you might want to confirm details: link to ooma plans
12 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
26428 posts
12560 upvotes
Ottawa
BlueLightSpecial wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 12:51 pm
Costco.ca has this bundle for $199.99, priced at $379.99 on ooma.ca. Butterfleye camera is decent, but not spectacular. Indoor only, battery, local storage. Includes ooma voip phone which is about $4/month, you can port a number (for a fee I believe).

Looks like there's a free plan, but you might want to confirm details: link to ooma plans
In ON, the monthly fee is $4.85/month.
Porting is $40.00, but free if you sign up for their Premier plan.
[OP]
Jul 28, 2010
579 posts
226 upvotes
Quantities limited, 8 available at the moment. I'm tempted, but already have the phone.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7062 posts
583 upvotes
Waterloo
Will it work with freephoneline.ca?
Dec 12, 2010
135 posts
58 upvotes
sassysue wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 3:24 pm
Will it work with freephoneline.ca?
Dont think so. Ooma is a fully stand-alone service, as close to zero config as possible.
Apr 12, 2008
779 posts
157 upvotes
This intrigues me.. Any personal experience with this? I've been looking for security systems that uses local storage (don't like to use cloud with nest and ring). This one seems like it's local storage. Not interested in the phone, just the alarm aspect
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2014
1084 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto, ON
fancypantsfloyd wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 4:12 pm
This intrigues me.. Any personal experience with this? I've been looking for security systems that uses local storage (don't like to use cloud with nest and ring). This one seems like it's local storage. Not interested in the phone, just the alarm aspect
If you want local storage you can take a look at Netgear Arlo Pro system. You can connect a USB storage device to the base station.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
26428 posts
12560 upvotes
Ottawa
fancypantsfloyd wrote:
Z-wave sensors plus Hubitat should work for you.
Apr 12, 2008
779 posts
157 upvotes
RFD6482 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 4:16 pm
If you want local storage you can take a look at Netgear Arlo Pro system. You can connect a USB storage device to the base station.
Hmmm.. you're right.. I did look into the Arlo Pro a month ago, but I think I brushed it off because of "Free Cloud Storage
Don't pay for cloud storage that you don't need. Keep 7 days of motion- and audio-triggered recordings for free.".. but then it does mention the USB key. Awesome, thanks for the info.
Apr 12, 2008
779 posts
157 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 4:16 pm
Z-wave sensors plus Hubitat should work for you.
I'll check that out too.. thanks for the suggestion.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1026 posts
62 upvotes
fancypantsfloyd wrote:
I bought this butterfly camera from Costco. I was really disappointed. It's an indoor cam and it won't sense motion through your window , so useless as outdoor security. The lag is super slow. Most of the time, it wont connect with the app too. Other reviews say its because it's only 2.4 mhz so super laggy to your phone. Battery life was like 3 days for me.
Its heavy too. Definately better products put there for the price.
I'd go for the blink xt or something else.
So happy it was easy return to Costco. I really dont think this product will last long in this competitive market.
Mar 7, 2011
119 posts
104 upvotes
Avoid the hassle and get something mainstream like nest secure.
[OP]
Jul 28, 2010
579 posts
226 upvotes
jon604 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 10:55 pm
I bought this butterfly camera from Costco. I was really disappointed. It's an indoor cam and it won't sense motion through your window , so useless as outdoor security. The lag is super slow. Most of the time, it wont connect with the app too. Other reviews say its because it's only 2.4 mhz so super laggy to your phone. Battery life was like 3 days for me.
Its heavy too. Definately better products put there for the price.
I'd go for the blink xt or something else.
So happy it was easy return to Costco. I really dont think this product will last long in this competitive market.
This explains why the Butterfleye dropped in price recently and a new one (outdoor) is on the way. The thing it has going for it is onboard memory (not a card) plus a battery for easy install. This bundle might be ok for someone looking for a cheap home phone option and a starter security set. If it works ok, add the new outdoor cams down the road. I've been eyeing Arlo, but way out of budget at the moment. Not a fan of Nest. Anyone have Lorex products? They have some wireless local storage systems.