Classic 17.8 cm (7 in.) santoku knife
Classic 12.7 cm (5 in.) cook’s knife
Classic 8.9 cm (3.5 in.) paring knife

Free shipping.
28 replies
Jun 10, 2013
472 posts
192 upvotes
Good deal. I took a George Brown Culinary class 10 years ago and was taught by a chef who worked at the 4 seasons. He said Global is the best (despite being a stamped blade) but said it was exorbitantly priced at $200...I have one (got it on a deal similar to this run by Shop.ca back in 2013/14), pretty damn sharp. Just remember to steel the knife before and after each use. They have Minosharp (racist?) water-stone sharpeners that can go for 50 bucks or less on a good sale.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5268 posts
1489 upvotes
Aurora
Good price. Who's the moron who downvoted this?
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2013
1379 posts
707 upvotes
GVR
Good deal if you prefer a santoku as a main knife. If im going to start , ill get an 8” chef’s knife. It is better than a santoku for me. Upvoted!
Mar 31, 2008
676 posts
386 upvotes
Airdrie
DiceMan wrote:
May 16th, 2019 3:50 am
Someone gave Costco "poor merchant reputation" downvote lol.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12058 posts
3038 upvotes
Ottawa
DiceMan wrote:
May 16th, 2019 3:50 am
I'll never understand why people downvote perfectly good deals without any explanation. There should be comment field you have to fill out when you downvote a deal.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
1679 posts
1149 upvotes
Kitchener
Price in title please!
Gaming: i5 4570, GTX 1070 8gb, 16GB RAM
Media: i5 6400, GTX 1070 8gb, 16GB RAM
Everyday: i5 6400, GTX 1060 6gb, 8GB RAM
Phone: iPhone 8
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5011 posts
3281 upvotes
Vancouver
warpdrive wrote:
May 16th, 2019 7:18 am
I'll never understand why people downvote perfectly good deals without any explanation. There should be comment field you have to fill out when you downvote a deal.
I downvoted this thread because I came in here expecting there to be a discussion about knives and instead I find a bunch of people whining about downvotes (who cares?). But since it bothers you so much, have another one!
Mar 28, 2009
555 posts
158 upvotes
Ottawa
Would this be a good addition to my Global G2 knife + 220 minosharp I previously bought from Costco? I'm moving out soon and my only knife is still the G2 so I'm trying to build it up a bit before my move.
Mar 12, 2017
287 posts
155 upvotes
VietTran wrote:
May 16th, 2019 8:09 am
Would this be a good addition to my Global G2 knife + 220 minosharp I previously bought from Costco? I'm moving out soon and my only knife is still the G2 so I'm trying to build it up a bit before my move.
Yeah it's not a bad set. I did something similar.
What I did was buy the G2, used that for a couple months, and ended up buying the entire Global knife block from the Bay a month ago which was nice =D
I do have two G2 knives now but it's nice to have an extra one around the kitchen for someone else to join in too/have a replacement.

edit: the Classic 12.7 cm (5 in.) cook’s knife is a bit small but I actually really like it!
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12058 posts
3038 upvotes
Ottawa
VietTran wrote:
May 16th, 2019 8:09 am
I'd just stick with what you have and maybe pick up a paring knife.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
1290 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
Is this a good starter set or more of a complement set?
I don't cook much and I just use generic Canadian Tire knife when I do.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12058 posts
3038 upvotes
Ottawa
last_sd wrote:
May 16th, 2019 9:01 am
Are these knives hard to take care of?
I want to buy them as gift to my parents but if it requires a lot of sharpening and special care than it might be too much hassle for them.

EDIT: Also, is this a good starter set or more of a complement set?
I don't cook much and I just use generic Canadian Tire knife when I do.
No real special care, but all knives require the same common sense care to keep them in good shape...
things like:

only use them on proper cutting boards, never cut on plates or glass.
hand wash and dry right away, don't leave them in the sink soaking in water.
don't throw them into a pile with other utensils.

Common sense things to keep the edge from being prematurely damaged.

The Minosharp sharpener that you can buy does an ok job of sharpening the knife. I'd recommend that if they don't want to pay for more expensive sharpening.