None
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2123 posts
1441 upvotes
SW Ontario
Bidjaan wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 8:04 pm
That’s for Jetdry rinsing aid. Not the cleaning pod or detergent.
Re-read what I posted ... one is for detergent, the other is Jet Dry
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2123 posts
1441 upvotes
SW Ontario
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 8:04 pm
Most manufacturers of things that have consumables have that line.
It's usually meant to encourage purchase of more expensive "featured" manufacturers.

My pellet grill for example. My warranty is void if I use 3rd party pellets.

I'd be extremely shocked if a 3rd party detergent did enough damage to actually break something.
Oh I know some of that goes on, as I've worked in engineering & manufacturing for many years ... but even with our products, there was truth to some of those statements from studying failures and CS complaints
Nov 11, 2009
440 posts
111 upvotes
Edmonton
Jojo_Madman wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 7:09 pm
Sounds about right, 8-10 years back we started noticing a lot of difference with cleaners in general ...
To be fair though, enzyme detergents have now caught up with triphosphate detergents. It took a while for the manufacturers to figure it out, but the difference is negligible now.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2123 posts
1441 upvotes
SW Ontario
SRG01 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 8:58 pm
To be fair though, enzyme detergents have now caught up with triphosphate detergents. It took a while for the manufacturers to figure it out, but the difference is negligible now.
According to who ... the detergent manufacturers?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23891 posts
9454 upvotes
Jojo_Madman wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 9:02 pm
I also disagree.
Jan 15, 2006
54 posts
22 upvotes
Jojo_Madman wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 1:02 pm
Never understood that one either ... a cleaner to clean the cleaner.
I'd hate to see your bathtub :P
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2123 posts
1441 upvotes
SW Ontario
jamz wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 9:08 pm
I'd hate to see your bathtub :P
I can post a picture with me in it if you like :P

but seriously, that's a little different as it's mainly soap scum with tubs and I'm not exactly trying to sanitize myself ... if I could shower at the same temperatures as a DW, I suspect the soap scum wouldn't adhere to the surfaces due to high heat
Sep 30, 2010
408 posts
131 upvotes
Markham
Jojo_Madman wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 8:36 pm
Re-read what I posted ... one is for detergent, the other is Jet Dry
I have the same on mine! Cascade pods work better for me. Didn’t like the Finish tabs.
Dec 6, 2008
381 posts
72 upvotes
Anybody got this error

Item #1091964 cannot ship to selected destination.
Please review item details for shipping restrictions. You may complete your purchase without the item or select a new delivery address.
Nov 11, 2009
440 posts
111 upvotes
Edmonton
Jojo_Madman wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 9:02 pm
Most reviewers of detergents these days? Like, triphosphates aren't really necessary anymore. Enzymes are pretty good at eating away build up and such.

At any rate, phosphates are primarily used to maintain pH, disperse particles, and break down oils/grease -- amongst other functions. All three of these can and have been substituted by other chemicals and enzymes.

In fact, problems involving detergent are probably more to do with hard water issues masked by the use of phosphates than an actual problem with the detergent itself. That's why the Cascade tablets have a small amount of water softener in them, as well as other things to maintain pH.

(It's also why the tabs are so effective -- because the manufacturers can cram a lot of tech in each one).
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2123 posts
1441 upvotes
SW Ontario
SRG01 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 6:25 pm
Most reviewers of detergents these days? Like, triphosphates aren't really necessary anymore. Enzymes are pretty good at eating away build up and such.

At any rate, phosphates are primarily used to maintain pH, disperse particles, and break down oils/grease -- amongst other functions. All three of these can and have been substituted by other chemicals and enzymes.

In fact, problems involving detergent are probably more to do with hard water issues masked by the use of phosphates than an actual problem with the detergent itself. That's why the Cascade tablets have a small amount of water softener in them, as well as other things to maintain pH.

(It's also why the tabs are so effective -- because the manufacturers can cram a lot of tech in each one).
I've yet to see a factual research that backs the statement emzymes have actually surpassed phosphates.

While you may be drinking the green koolaid, they have to still use some level of phosphates just to make the enzymes even work in a DW detergent.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15876 posts
5138 upvotes
SRG01 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 6:25 pm

That would explain why there is rinse aid in tabs, i figured it was just a gimmick because there are rinses later that would otherwise eliminate benefits of rinse aid in the wash cycle.
All spirits are enslaved that serve things evil
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
2259 posts
298 upvotes
I have the cheapest, crappiest dishwasher you can get, and it cleans just fine on the eco cycle with no residue. I don't know what y'all are cleaning that you're having such problems.