Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
1505 posts
224 upvotes

Costco Cash Card

I have been an executive member at costco for the last 6 years. My membership expires by the end of next month. I will be moving to Europe starting January 2015. I would still like to make purchases until I move. I would really mind purchasing the membership just for 3 months. Can I just buy myself costco cash card of $500 and use it to enter and make purchases? I read elsewhere that Costco requires membership card to pay at the counter. If I am left over with $100 by the time I leave, can I get the cash back?

Thank you for the comments.

Kindly avoid suggesting me to cancel the membership w.r.t their generous membership refund policy.
20 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
967 upvotes
Yellowknife
saku wrote:
Sep 19th, 2014 7:31 am
I have been an executive member at costco for the last 6 years. My membership expires by the end of next month. I will be moving to Europe starting January 2015. I would still like to make purchases until I move. I would really mind purchasing the membership just for 3 months. Can I just buy myself costco cash card of $500 and use it to enter and make purchases? I read elsewhere that Costco requires membership card to pay at the counter. If I am left over with $100 by the time I leave, can I get the cash back?

Thank you for the comments.

Kindly avoid suggesting me to cancel the membership w.r.t their generous membership refund policy.
Maybe go with a friend or family member with a membership.

Or shop at costco.ca and pay with your credit card.

Are you moving to the UK? Costco is there.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2010
5891 posts
2727 upvotes
Markham
We will refund your membership fee in full at any time if you are dissatisfied or you can keep your member and use it in Europe ;)
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
1505 posts
224 upvotes
thank you all. i will be moving to the Netherlands.

does costco cash cards give access to entrance and payment?
Oct 10, 2012
183 posts
52 upvotes
saku wrote:
Sep 19th, 2014 7:51 am
does costco cash cards give access to entrance and payment?
yes it does
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2010
5891 posts
2727 upvotes
Markham
No costco in Netherlands. Just renew your member ship and cancel when you're about to move and get your member ship fee back Lol
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
1505 posts
224 upvotes
thank you. the hasslefree way is to get a costco cash card for say $500 and use it for entrance + purchases.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1692 posts
277 upvotes
saku wrote:
Sep 19th, 2014 8:29 am
thank you. the hasslefree way is to get a costco cash card for say $500 and use it for entrance + purchases.
You may enter with cash card, but without membership, IIRC I don't think you are entitled to the discounts.
Aug 27, 2010
591 posts
111 upvotes
doberman_baby wrote:
Sep 19th, 2014 12:28 pm
You may enter with cash card, but without membership, IIRC I don't think you are entitled to the discounts.
Also, with some Costcos, they want you to spend the full amount of the cash card in one visit if you don't have a membership.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8784 posts
2185 upvotes
London
Junerose wrote:
Sep 19th, 2014 1:05 pm
Also, with some Costcos, they want you to spend the full amount of the cash card in one visit if you don't have a membership.
I've never heard of this before.. I'm skeptical.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8784 posts
2185 upvotes
London
Junerose wrote:
Sep 19th, 2014 6:33 pm
First hand experience. Go try ;)
I did it for years, never a problem.
Aug 27, 2010
591 posts
111 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote:
Sep 19th, 2014 8:21 pm
I did it for years, never a problem.
Just because you walk down the street everyday for years and never got hit by a car, doesn't mean that it couldn't happen. LOL. Notice that I said some Costcos-not all.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8784 posts
2185 upvotes
London
Junerose wrote:
Sep 19th, 2014 8:52 pm
Just because you walk down the street everyday for years and never got hit by a car, doesn't mean that it couldn't happen. LOL. Notice that I said some Costcos-not all.
Look, you didn't say "first hand experience" in the first post. People like to tell little stories about a friend of a friend that don't have any basis; if you do a search in this topic, you'll see all sorts of wild claims about the gift card loophole.
Aug 31, 2009
309 posts
206 upvotes
BC
i've used a costco cash card several times. They always had to call a manager over and made a big display about having to override the system for a non-member. Of course there were always people waiting behind you in a long line as well. Regarding the discounts, I am not sure if those still apply when you only pay with a cash card and no membership card. As far as getting your cash back on the remainder of your $500, I have my doubts, but maybe. Might have to sell the balance for cash at a slight discount to a friend or some other random costco shopper. EG: if there was $100 left on it and you were selling it for $90, I'd buy it!