None
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14157 posts
4105 upvotes
Here 'n There
jslwc wrote:
Sep 19th, 2014 10:46 pm
i've used a costco cash card several times. They always had to call a manager over and made a big display about having to override the system for a non-member. Of course there were always people waiting behind you in a long line as well. Regarding the discounts, I am not sure if those still apply when you only pay with a cash card and no membership card. As far as getting your cash back on the remainder of your $500, I have my doubts, but maybe. Might have to sell the balance for cash at a slight discount to a friend or some other random costco shopper. EG: if there was $100 left on it and you were selling it for $90, I'd buy it!
The extra discounts for specials do not apply to people using a cash card. The cash register only applies the discount if a member number has been entered first. There has to be some benefit to becoming a member!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7129 posts
1666 upvotes
Junerose wrote:
Sep 19th, 2014 8:52 pm
Just because you walk down the street everyday for years and never got hit by a car, doesn't mean that it couldn't happen. LOL. Notice that I said some Costcos-not all.
Stupidest analogy I've ever heard in my life.

For the OP: A better idea is to buy multiple $25 gift cards (one for every visit you plan to make to Costco between now and January). If your purchase exceeds the amount of the gift card, you can pay the difference with cash/debit.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2534 posts
1551 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
saku wrote:
Sep 19th, 2014 7:31 am
I have been an executive member at costco for the last 6 years. My membership expires by the end of next month. I will be moving to Europe starting January 2015. I would still like to make purchases until I move. I would really mind purchasing the membership just for 3 months.

Kindly avoid suggesting me to cancel the membership w.r.t their generous membership refund policy.
Actually, I think you're quite within the realm of reason if you were to cancel your membership after 3 months, because as much as you'd like to continue being a member of Costco, you can't because they don't have locations where you're going.
Can I just buy myself costco cash card of $500 and use it to enter and make purchases?
Shouldn't be a problem as others have said.
If I am left over with $100 by the time I leave, can I get the cash back?
Nope.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
22476 posts
8238 upvotes
You've been a loyal member for 6 years and would be for another 3 months if you could. To me, this is a valid reason to renew and cancel out for a refund.
It's not like you're purposely abusing the gift card loophole or anything.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
1505 posts
224 upvotes
very well. i don't want to be the one cursed for holding the queue. better off with gold star member and cancelling out the time i move out. by this way, i can have the discounts. thank you all.
Sep 26, 2008
482 posts
98 upvotes
Ottawa
Junerose wrote:
Sep 19th, 2014 1:05 pm
Also, with some Costcos, they want you to spend the full amount of the cash card in one visit if you don't have a membership.
Just wondering if anyone has any recent experience with using less than the full amount of a cash card on a particular visit? There is no mention of the above policy on the product details from their website:
[INDENT]
A great gift idea. A convenient payment option in our warehouses, at our gas stations, and on Costco.ca and Costco.com. Can be used for business purchases. Can provide students with money for food, gas, or school necessities, while limiting their spending. Access to balance inquiries on Costco.ca Home Page or by calling the toll-free number provided on the back of the card

You must be a Costco member to purchase Costco Cash Cards (online or at the warehouse). Reloads are only available at a Costco location. Members and non-members may use the Costco Cash Cards to shop at any Costco location in Canada, the United States, Puerto Rico and online on Costco.ca or Costco.com. Costco Cash Cards may be used toward membership or merchandise.

Costco Cash Card (plastic) features include:
- No expiry date
- Reloadable at any Costco warehouse location
- Can be purchased in denominations from $50 to $1,000
- Can be used at Costco Gas Stations[/INDENT]