None
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3541 posts
189 upvotes
Georgetown
jshaug wrote:
Sep 10th, 2009 4:41 pm
It's a good brand, When comparing remember Chamberlain makes all Sears Craftsmen and Lift Master openers
Considering that Craftsmen are made by Chamberlain... does anyone know if the remotes work together?

I have one garage door opener than is a Chamberlain... so I figured I would have to stick with Chamberlain to ensure the remote could control both doors? What are the odds the Craftsmen or Chamerberlain remotes would handle both doors? (one of each type)

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2003
1134 posts
I went to the one in Markham (Markham Road)
Don't carry it...

anyone know which locations have it in the GTA?

Thanks
---> Heatware <---
Sep 17, 2009
16 posts
Oshawa
Tiberius wrote:
Sep 17th, 2009 8:13 pm
I have one garage door opener than is a Chamberlain... so I figured I would have to stick with Chamberlain to ensure the remote could control both doors? What are the odds the Craftsmen or Chamerberlain remotes would handle both doors? (one of each type)

Thanks.
As long as the learn buttons on the back of the operator are the same colour they will work together.
Aug 31, 2008
529 posts
227 upvotes
Barrie
superdave wrote:
Sep 17th, 2009 10:20 am
Wow, installing a garage door opener really isn't that hard and the reason that "installers" swear on the chamberlains is that they get preferential pricing and a ridiculous install fee :evil: I've had my 2 Genie Excellerators for 5 years now with no problems whatsoever. I love the fact that it opens 2x the normal speed so I can push the button by my house garage door and it will be open before I can walk over to it. Granted I didn't buy a chain drive (mine is a screw drive) but I absolutely love it. Who knows if it will last 20 years but I don't really care at that point. The only thing I wish this unit had was a light sensor that would turn on the light in the unit itself. The sensor only re-opens the door.

Try installing it yourself. All you need is a few tools and a buddy to help you pick it up at the end to fasten it to the brackets. I did both of mine myself but YMMV
Thank you for the advice, maybe I will try and get someone to install it after all, the other issue is no hydro close to where I need to install (installers, mentioned that I had to pay an electrician first) it. Is it safe to have an extra heavy duty extention cord attached to the equipment and then run it along the ceiling and down the wall? I appreciate the advice.
Dec 9, 2008
211 posts
36 upvotes
Ottawa
RunnerForDeals wrote:
Sep 17th, 2009 11:33 am
I don't know the pricing, but it takes a good hour to install plus travel time so I am thinking that price is a bit low...but mneh this is RFD.
+1. I did a few price quote, is typically around $100 to install one by professional. They can do it in 45 minutes with 2 person. My neigbhour went with the two LiftMaster Pro installed professionally, while I installed my own two Chambelain Whisper Drive.

Never done one before, but first one took me half a day to figured our what's go where and how to line it up; second one took me two hours (one person doing it only).
Aug 22, 2004
861 posts
1 upvote
For the Genie bashers out there...

I now have a Genie screw drive opener and it has outperformed and outlasted my previous Sears opener. It is quiet, fast and reliable.

My dad's Sear model failed after 4 years use. The only good thing about the Sears model is that we could go to the local hardware store and buy a drop in Chamberlain replacement without having to change the rails or other parts.
Aug 22, 2004
861 posts
1 upvote
brotherhood wrote:
Sep 20th, 2009 11:49 am
hi guys
i have a garage door thats 19ft wide and 7ft high ,would this sears garage door opener have enough power ?

http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B002CSJW ... liate_comj
If your door is adjusted and balanced properly, it should not really matter about the size of the opener. The size of the motor should be more related to speed and durability.
Jun 1, 2003
134 posts
2 upvotes
umlowcn wrote:
Sep 17th, 2009 11:57 am
Thanks. The price is updated on the website already:

http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B002CSJW ... nodeid=APS

I would say this is store-wide.
Comparing the similar Costco and Sears models, both made by Chamberlain, prices are fairly similar (respectively, $300 vs. $280 after coupon). The major difference in favour of the Sears version is the temperature gauge; meanwhile, the Costco version seems to have better warranty (Costco is lifetime on motor, 10 yr belt, while Sears is 10 year motor and 90 days everything else).

Am I missing anything? If not, the Costco one seems to be worth the extra $20 for the superior warranty.

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2006
2234 posts
834 upvotes
Barrie
I haven't received mine that I ordered yet, but when I do I will crack the manual open and post up the warranty information.
Jun 1, 2003
134 posts
2 upvotes
Has anyone been able to pm this deal anywhere else, or would they refuse because it's Costco?
Feb 21, 2008
53 posts
blah wrote:
Sep 21st, 2009 2:24 pm
Comparing the similar Costco and Sears models, both made by Chamberlain, prices are fairly similar (respectively, $300 vs. $280 after coupon). The major difference in favour of the Sears version is the temperature gauge; meanwhile, the Costco version seems to have better warranty (Costco is lifetime on motor, 10 yr belt, while Sears is 10 year motor and 90 days everything else).

Am I missing anything? If not, the Costco one seems to be worth the extra $20 for the superior warranty.

Thanks.
The sears version has lifetime warranty on the belt and 10 years on the motor. It's written right on the box.
Jan 23, 2007
106 posts
uoft wrote:
Sep 17th, 2009 5:43 pm
So what is the price, 299 or 149.5.

Also, would like to hear comment abou this one http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stor ... PartNumber

Thanks
Hi, I picked up a 1/2 hp chain drive for 149.99 in Pickering a few days ago...they were about 3 skids of them there and guy said their Sears day sale is on until Oct 4 (read this offer good until Oct4?)

My dad bought one about 2 weeks ago and it was on sale for 199.99...they went down in price and he carried his bill back and they credited his MC the difference......He's now pushing 70 but still a True RFD'L.
Jun 1, 2003
134 posts
2 upvotes
blah wrote:
Sep 21st, 2009 7:58 pm
Has anyone been able to pm this deal anywhere else, or would they refuse because it's Costco?
Successfully pm'd at HD for $270. :cheesygri
Mar 7, 2009
26 posts
3 upvotes
GTA
I also had a Genie I installed 2 years ago and is now not working very well. It probably needs a new electronic board. I just replaced it with a Craftsman. Two of my in-laws have craftsman for over ten years now so I decided to go that route. Of the two, the Genie is easier to install but durability seems to be suspect.