• Dec 6th, 2017 8:21 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 2, 2010
181 posts
39 upvotes
Cambridge

Costco Coffee - Any good?

There are several brands of whole-bean coffee available at any given costco, including Starbucks French and Northern roasts, Kirkland Signature, William Spartivento, Zavida etc. Has anyone tried these and found one to be the best in their opinion? I know the Starbucks is the most expensive, but that isn't always the best indicator. We did buy the Spartivento decaf and really like it (for decaf) but there's several blends to choose from even within that brand, so I'm looking for opinions.

Any and all feedback is welcome.

Cheers
8 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14167 posts
2520 upvotes
Toronto
I recently bought The Starbucks True North Blend which is a Blonde Roast and wasn't happy with it at all. I ended up returning it. I bought The Kirkland brand instead and it is better. I have had the Zavida in K cup format and wasn't impressed. It really depends on your taste preferences. Just saying that buying the Starbucks and expecting to produce the same quality as in store will be very difficult.
Nov 3, 2008
199 posts
81 upvotes
National Capital Reg…
I buy Kirkland Dark Roast (red package). It says on package "roasted by Starbucks". So it is essentially Starbucks Dark Roast, but much cheaper (even when Starbucks goes on sale). Overall, I am happy with those beans.
Feb 16, 2013
547 posts
587 upvotes
Toronto
I buy the Zavida because it's cheap.
I grind it for a few days supply.
Works well.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
3132 posts
724 upvotes
I think it depends what kind of coffee you like. If you like dark bold coffee then I find that Costco has limited choices to fulfill that taste. The best one at Costco is the Level Ground Tanzania dark in the brown packaging. It is very dark and rich flavourful with cocoa overtones. However, when I have bought it I find the quality can vary. Most purchases of this product have been excellent but I did a bag once that wasn't up to par. The second best at Costco is the dark version of the Ethical Bean in the silver packaging. The Costco stuff they roast in store (they do this at select stores) was not great and I wouldn't buy it again. My preferred brand is Kicking Horse Grizzly Claw so that gives you an idea of what I'm looking for taste-wise.
Jul 20, 2012
496 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
I buy the Kirkland brand in the green package. I drink my coffee black and this blend I really like. I fond the red package stronger.
Before joining Costco I used to get Kicking Horse coffee or Starbucks whole beans (I forget which type). I do like the Kirkland coffee better.
Jul 20, 2004
948 posts
107 upvotes
Brian71 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 8:18 pm
I buy the Kirkland brand in the green package. I drink my coffee black and this blend I really like. I fond the red package stronger.
Before joining Costco I used to get Kicking Horse coffee or Starbucks whole beans (I forget which type). I do like the Kirkland coffee better.
I also go for the Kirkland brand in the green package. Excellent flavor but I find it a bit low on caffeine :)
Oct 23, 2017
56 posts
12 upvotes
Burlington ON
We alternate between Kirkland (Green Pkge) and Starbucks Pikes Place, (especially when one or the other is on sale) to avoid getting too bored. We like these darker roasts and most guests also seem to happy with them. I find Starbucks True North too light. My wife sometimes get attracted by a colorful well-priced bag of the country blends they bring in (CR, Sumatra, etc) but we are disappointed with them about half the time, so I prefer to stay with our reliables. I have tried a couple of the Saperativo coffees and have not found one I want to buy again.

I do find the Kirkland green package beans can have a lot of fragments and I have returned at least one for that reason. This is also tends to be a very oily bean, leading to more cleaning of the grinder.