Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] [COSTCO.CA] HOT Vizio 5.1 Channel Soundbar $219.99!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2017 1:08 pm
Jan 12, 2004
505 posts
85 upvotes
stovetop wrote:
Jan 10th, 2017 6:39 pm
If I were to put this soundbar in front of my tv, it would cover part of the bottom of the tv making my viewing experience not as great. This soundbar is 3.62" high.
Mounting the TV is not an option for me. It's currently on a TV stand.

how can I place this so that it's not blocking the tv?
mount it on top? people say it actually sounds better when placed above the tv. AVS Forums seem to agree.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-sound ... ndbar.html
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1722 posts
551 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
thanks..putting something under the tv might look ghetto so I'd lean towards mounting it above...

would it be weird to mount the soundbar on the wall above and behind the tv (since my tv is on a tv stand)
Jan 12, 2004
505 posts
85 upvotes
stovetop wrote:
Jan 10th, 2017 6:56 pm
thanks..putting something under the tv might look ghetto so I'd lean towards mounting it above...

would it be weird to mount the soundbar on the wall above and behind the tv (since my tv is on a tv stand)
As long as the soundbar fits relatively flush with the front of the tv i think it should be fine. if it's too far back the sound might get blocked. and too far forward will just look weird.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
3849 posts
742 upvotes
Vancouver
Sam's Club is selling the SB3851-D0 for $219 (10% non-member fee) USD. After taxes and conversion, it's about $315 + effort and gas to pick up, versus $250 here at Costco for the older model. Worth it?

My one and only complaint about the Costco soundbar is that I need to manually turn it on and off because my TV does not support IR controls even though it comes with an IR blaster (only controls volume afaik- please let me know if I am wrong)... Such a first world problem. My Xbox One S however does turn everything (STB, TV, soundbar) on and off but it's kind of strange to have to use that every time I want to watch TV or Netflix through the TV only.
Removed external link in signature.
Jun 26, 2013
545 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
lhsonic wrote:
Jan 10th, 2017 10:36 pm
Sam's Club is selling the SB3851-D0 for $219 (10% non-member fee) USD. After taxes and conversion, it's about $315 + effort and gas to pick up, versus $250 here at Costco for the older model. Worth it?

My one and only complaint about the Costco soundbar is that I need to manually turn it on and off because my TV does not support IR controls even though it comes with an IR blaster (only controls volume afaik- please let me know if I am wrong)... Such a first world problem. My Xbox One S however does turn everything (STB, TV, soundbar) on and off but it's kind of strange to have to use that every time I want to watch TV or Netflix through the TV only.
I also read in one of the post stating sound transmitted through optical cable did not pass DTS ? Is the quality of sound same in older and newer versions ? This will help me to choose the right system.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2013
1364 posts
480 upvotes
Markham
I'm going to order this for a buddy of mine, his TV can do coaxial and optical output to this soundbar. My question is, he has a chromecast, how do you connect it so it uses the soundbar as well?
Phone: S8+ Koodo 10gb $60
Gaming Rig: 8600K 5ghz| EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 | Dell S2716DG
Currently playing: Monster Hunter: World, Black Ops 4, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
Banned
Oct 8, 2014
238 posts
120 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
myinglin0318 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2017 12:24 pm
I'm going to order this for a buddy of mine, his TV can do coaxial and optical output to this soundbar. My question is, he has a chromecast, how do you connect it so it uses the soundbar as well?
Run the connections through Optical from TV to sound bar
and set the TV speakers to external
with this anything that is pushing the sound to TV will be redirected to sound bar
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1086 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto
stovetop wrote:
Jan 10th, 2017 6:39 pm
If I were to put this soundbar in front of my tv, it would cover part of the bottom of the tv making my viewing experience not as great. This soundbar is 3.62" high.
Mounting the TV is not an option for me. It's currently on a TV stand.

how can I place this so that it's not blocking the tv?
Maybe over the TV using something like this;

https://www.amazon.ca/Sewell-Direct-Uni ... +bar+mount

I'm using this for mine but under the TV which is mounted on the wall.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
5625 posts
2156 upvotes
Canada
myinglin0318 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2017 12:24 pm
Connect the soundbar via Optical. Go in TV settings and choose the appropriate setting so sound output is set to Optical. Connect chromecast, etc via HDMI on TV. The TV should pass sound from the chromecast to the soundbar
Jul 1, 2008
335 posts
59 upvotes
RFDQ1016 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2017 12:34 pm
Connect the soundbar via Optical. Go in TV settings and choose the appropriate setting so sound output is set to Optical. Connect chromecast, etc via HDMI on TV. The TV should pass sound from the chromecast to the soundbar
This is assuming your TV passes 5.1 via optical, many TV's do not and it will only send 2.1 to the soundbar.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2013
1364 posts
480 upvotes
Markham
bajwamar wrote:
Jan 11th, 2017 12:32 pm
Run the connections through Optical from TV to sound bar
and set the TV speakers to external
with this anything that is pushing the sound to TV will be redirected to sound bar
RFDQ1016 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2017 12:34 pm
Thanks for the help guys!
Phone: S8+ Koodo 10gb $60
Gaming Rig: 8600K 5ghz| EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 | Dell S2716DG
Currently playing: Monster Hunter: World, Black Ops 4, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
Dec 21, 2014
243 posts
148 upvotes
Vancouver
I currently have this, but I'm trying to see if it's worth it to go to a 5.1 surround system with a receiver to be better future proofed & easily replace speakers if I want to upgrade or if they break.

How would The polk and pioneer 5.1 bundle for $599 compare. If not this one, it looks like you can buy the receiver by itself for $250 on amazon. Would it be better to just buy it all separately? Thanks!

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/-/b ... 714b8een02
Deal Addict
May 12, 2007
1046 posts
130 upvotes
Hi everyone,

So this sojndbar came today and I already love the sound.

I just have some questions :

1. Should the optical connect to my PS4 or TV(Samsung kS8000)? I only use my ps4 (Netflix and games)

2. Now that I am using a soundbar, should I change my sound from PCM to bitstream and DTS 2:5 On both the ps4 and ks8000?

Finally, any tips on where the sub woofer should go would be great.

If anyone is wondering if tbhs is a good sound bad let's just say it makes a huuuuge difference when using it in place of the ks8000 speakers.