Hot Deals

[Costco] [COSTCO.CA] HOT Vizio 5.1 Channel Soundbar $219.99!

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2017 12:14 am
May 12, 2007
931 posts
47 upvotes
Hi everyone,

So this sojndbar came today and I already love the sound.

I just have some questions :

1. Should the optical connect to my PS4 or TV(Samsung kS8000)? I only use my ps4 (Netflix and games)

2. Now that I am using a soundbar, should I change my sound from PCM to bitstream and DTS 2:5 On both the ps4 and ks8000?

Finally, any tips on where the sub woofer should go would be great.

If anyone is wondering if tbhs is a good sound bad let's just say it makes a huuuuge difference when using it in place of the ks8000 speakers.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
4217 posts
289 upvotes
hssironman wrote:
Jan 11th, 2017 12:34 pm
Maybe over the TV using something like this;

https://www.amazon.ca/Sewell-Direct-Uni ... +bar+mount

I'm using this for mine but under the TV which is mounted on the wall.
Oh I have one of these mounted on my Samsung TV and an old Vizio sound bar attached to it. Highly recommended.
"I live my life a quarter-mile at a time, for those 10 seconds or less... i'm free."

11 Never Summer Heritage, 08 Rome Targa
08 Nitro Eero Ettala 155, 07 Rome 390
07 Capita Outdoor Living 154
Cervelo Soloist Carbon Ultegra
Apr 29, 2004
187 posts
14 upvotes
As per suggestions of some previous posters, I purchased the these speaker stands from amazon:
Amazon Speaker Stands

It was said that the setup needs some physical adjustments for the rca plugs at the end. I hardly found this to be the issue in my case. I used the longer wire backings, and also added an extra washer to the original bolt that came with speakers.

Feeding the wire through the speaker stand posed no issues at all.

Picture added for visual reference.

There are 2 rules in life:
1) Never tell anybody everything you know.
2) ..........
Nov 20, 2012
206 posts
80 upvotes
OTTAWA
Looking to get some feedback from those folks that have been using this for a couple months now?
Still like the unit? Any issues with the sub disconnecting from the bar?
Mar 14, 2011
134 posts
29 upvotes
GTA
System working great with KS8000 5.1 DTS over Optical Bitstream. HDMI is kinda pointless in the newer system because of the ARC limitations. Probably going to upgrade to a real receiver down the road for ATMOS but the ease of setup and sound quality of DTS is just fine.
Jun 26, 2013
347 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
Its really nice and good quality system. I hooked it to my 65 inches Samsung 8000 series TV using optical cable. No regrets so far. Thinking of upgrading to newer version for much better quality. Money wise worthy investment.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
1697 posts
609 upvotes
CaptainKILL wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 10:49 pm
HDMI is kinda pointless in the newer system because of the ARC limitations. Probably going to upgrade to a real receiver down the road for ATMOS but the ease of setup and sound quality of DTS is just fine.
Why'd you say HDMI is pointless? and what ARC limitations?
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!
Mar 14, 2011
134 posts
29 upvotes
GTA
ARC has the same limits as Toslink (Optical) cables meaning 2.1 PCM max or 5.1 Dolby or DTS through Bitstream so HDMI on a sound bar system is very limited even if it supports direct connection for PCM 5.1 because it's typically one port only. A full receiver system wouldn't work properly with a sound bar because of the presence of a built in AMP. Basically choose the sound bar system for ease of setup and basic 5.1 compressed audio or save up for a receiver and standalone speakers for uncompressed PCM 5.1 and up.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
1697 posts
609 upvotes
CaptainKILL wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 11:29 pm
ARC has the same limits as Toslink (Optical) cables meaning 2.1 PCM max or 5.1 Dolby or DTS through Bitstream so HDMI on a sound bar system is very limited
Unlike Toslink, ARC can pass DD+ and Atmos. The Vizio P Series can bitstream DD+ and Atmos thru ARC.
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!
Dec 26, 2007
518 posts
81 upvotes
Has anyone tried using different rear speakers with the sub? Will it work?
Mar 14, 2011
134 posts
29 upvotes
GTA
Ah I see it's a case of basically none but 2016 Vizio's and the new 2017 LG's (may be others this year but none from 2016) that support higher quality ARC passthrough but in general ARC on TV's that people own today wont work.
May 12, 2007
931 posts
47 upvotes
I bought this but I'm going to return it because it's too powerful and I am in a condo .. I just feel like it should overkill as I never use it past volume 4.
Nov 17, 2012
749 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto
IMHO one true test of a system is how it performs at lower volumes. I have mine in a 12 x 13 foot basement TV room with 7 foot ceilings, attached to my 65" Panasonic plasma. It's awesome at all volumes.

I replaced a large receiver / tower speaker setup which took up too much room in this small space. It was more powerful and sounded better, but was overkill and again, took up too much of the air in the room. Just too massive for the small space.

I don't think you'll find a better suited system for a small space.

I've had mine for months now, and have had no issues. My daughter and her friends crank it with BT tethering or using the Apple TV to listen to music, and I watch various shows/movies on it at lower volumes. Seems pretty versatile and hasn't broken yet. The sub has never lost connection with the soundbar.

I'm running HDMI from my Bell Fibe PVR and Apple TV to the Panasonic TCP65ST50 and then optical from that to the soundbar. Works great.
Nov 17, 2012
749 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto
sirisak wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 10:55 pm
Its really nice and good quality system. I hooked it to my 65 inches Samsung 8000 series TV using optical cable. No regrets so far. Thinking of upgrading to newer version for much better quality. Money wise worthy investment.
What 'much better quality'? The newer version of the soundbar some discussed getting from Amazon etc. was shown to have smaller drivers if I recall. Newer usually means lower-cost components to improve margins for the manufacturer, not improved quality. Maybe another port or two, but as generations pass, the speakers aren't going to get any better.
Nov 17, 2012
749 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto
springbok wrote:
Jan 20th, 2017 10:00 am
As per suggestions of some previous posters, I purchased the these speaker stands from amazon:
Amazon Speaker Stands

It was said that the setup needs some physical adjustments for the rca plugs at the end. I hardly found this to be the issue in my case. I used the longer wire backings, and also added an extra washer to the original bolt that came with speakers.

Feeding the wire through the speaker stand posed no issues at all.

Picture added for visual reference.

Did you experience the same as this reviewer? I'm thinking about picking these up - just wondering if the speakers were a simple mount or if you had to modify.

"Would have rated it 5 stars if my Vizio SB4051 satellite speakers would have fitted without modification to the hardware provides for the top section. The cable goes easily into the pole but I had to saw the smallest rods provided to attach the speakers and add to bend them in order to be able to hook the end jack of the Vizio provided cable to the speakers. In addition you have to use the screws provided in your Vizio kit as the ones provided in the Atlantic kit do not fit the Vizio speakers. Overall took an hour to do the fitting and the result is great. The stand is solid and can be adjusted and turned as you wish. I do not regret this buy at all."
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel