Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] [COSTCO.CA] HOT Vizio 5.1 Channel Soundbar $219.99!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2017 1:08 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
2993 posts
299 upvotes
Is the only input 1 optical? Was hoping to attach a chromecast audio to it as well
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
3698 posts
563 upvotes
Vancouver
awsometruth wrote:
May 19th, 2017 9:56 am
Question. Majority of online movies I stream is equipped with 2.0 stereo only. Would I be better off getting a 2.1 soundbar instead? Cause it would be pointless having the 2 rear speakers be silent when watching them 2.0 audio movies
I don't think it's pointless simply because of the price point. You'd be hard-pressed to find a significantly better quality or sounding 2.1 soundbar for this price. Think of the 2 extra rear speakers as a bonus- you can choose to not even install them if you wish. A 5.1 source does not have sound coming through the rears at all time.. it's simply environmental- the most important channels are the 3 (or 2) up front.
Lord Denning wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:47 am
Is this type of soundbar overkill for a computer setup? have two big 28 double monitors figure it could go across them
Depends what you are looking for. The Vizio is not a premium audio product imo.. it's a consumer-focused product that sounds great to 95% of the population and can fill a room with better sound than what comes out of the TV. But for a PC set-up, you can buy something like the Logitech Z506 which is far cheaper than the soundbar and works just fine. If you don't need surround sound and value quality sound above all else, you can get a premium stereo set-up like AudioEngine A2+ on sale for around $200.
Nov 13, 2016
110 posts
30 upvotes
Thanks OP.

Anyone know where I can get stands for the surround speakers?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
2201 posts
729 upvotes
Victoria
forevergone wrote:
May 19th, 2017 11:59 am

If it has optical, it supports 5.1
I don't think that's entirely true.
Aug 25, 2010
13 posts
9 upvotes
Woodstock
tonedcarrot wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:58 pm
Thanks OP.

Anyone know where I can get stands for the surround speakers?
These are what I used. Work great, just make sure you use the mounting nuts that come with the visio speakers, as the ones that ship with the stands do not fit.

Stands on Amazon
Mar 2, 2015
53 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Does anyone know the dimensions of the soundbar and the subwoofer?
Nov 13, 2016
110 posts
30 upvotes
Good reviews, and a hot price sold me!

Thanks OP. Ordered one online.
Nov 26, 2010
40 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Hi everyone,

I skimmed through the thread but couldn't find the answer to my question so hopefully someone can help me out.

Could I plug my laptop via Hdmi to TV and then TV to Soundbar via optical? Would this produce 5.1 sound? Same thing for cable box?

Does it make sense to keep my Denon receiver or is it pointless?

Thank you so much! :)
Nov 6, 2012
65 posts
53 upvotes
NORTH YORK
langerdavid2010 wrote:
May 20th, 2017 1:50 am
Hi everyone,

I skimmed through the thread but couldn't find the answer to my question so hopefully someone can help me out.

Could I plug my laptop via Hdmi to TV and then TV to Soundbar via optical? Would this produce 5.1 sound? Same thing for cable box?

Does it make sense to keep my Denon receiver or is it pointless?

Thank you so much! :)
You'll only have 5.1 sound in such setup if you have TV that can passthrough 5.1 sound thru optical to sound bar.
Only a few modern TVs capable of that.
You can see the list of some models here: http://ca.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5- ... assthrough

Worth mentioning that streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, etc., stream only in Dolby Digital Plus (aka E-AC3). DD+ demands HDMI connection between capable TV and sound bar.
So with this Vizio soundbar you will never get 5.1 sound from streaming services (only if they will change audio format and it's probably not going to happen).

List of some TVs that support DD+ over HDMI-ARC
LG 2017 OLEDs: W7, G7, E7, C7, B7 (note: 2016 and earlier LG OLEDs (G6, E6, C6, C6, EF9500, EG9800) do not support DD+ over ARC)
Vizio R Series
Vizio P Series
Vizio M Series
Vizio 58D
Insignia 24" RokuTV, NS-24ER310NA17
Sony XBR-65Z9D

All of that prevented me from buying this soundbar a few months ago as I wanted a bulletproof solution and 5.1 sound with Netflix.
Instead, I bought A/V receiver capable of DD+ and a set of 5.1 speakers...
Dec 24, 2010
15 posts
1 upvote
Is this sound bar worth getting for the price even though it would likely end up being 2.1? Costco have it at 199.97 now. I guess it's on clearance. Not sure if I should get this or something else. Are there anything out right now that has as good/better sound for cheaper?
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
2976 posts
221 upvotes
Mississauga
i'm in the market for a soundbar, but 38" just won't fit in my TV stand. I can't place it in front of the TV either, it would block the remotes from working....

has anyone seen a 30" variant or model from any other brands?
Nov 7, 2013
881 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto
bk2the6ix wrote:
May 23rd, 2017 9:15 am
i'm in the market for a soundbar, but 38" just won't fit in my TV stand. I can't place it in front of the TV either, it would block the remotes from working....

has anyone seen a 30" variant or model from any other brands?
Another solution that was mentioned in this thread is to mount it above the TV using a bracket like this one:
https://www.amazon.ca/Duramex-Universal ... +bar+mount
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
2976 posts
221 upvotes
Mississauga
hssironman wrote:
May 23rd, 2017 9:56 am
Another solution that was mentioned in this thread is to mount it above the TV using a bracket like this one:
https://www.amazon.ca/Duramex-Universal ... +bar+mount
oh shit. i didn't know this was even possible. thats amazing.

So I got two questions:
1. My TV's Optical output supports: "Digital optical jack (Two channel linear PCM, Dolby Digital)". What type of sound can I expect out of these speakers? 5.1? or just evenly spread across all speakers?

2. Do you think the TV stand on this Sony KDL 48w600b will be able to support the weight of the 38" sound bar if I install it above the TV using the universal bracket?