Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Costco: Gillette Fusion Razor Cartridges 18-pack - $44.99 ($14 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2017 6:57 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
3713 posts
323 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 11:10 am
Bah, bought last week, does costco do price adjustments?
Nope but you can return them and buy new.

I find no matter what others say these exp since razors out perform the cheap dorco blades by a large margin. Much smoother better shave with less nicks and razor burn.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
19196 posts
121817 upvotes
GTA
Max_Dealing wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 11:43 am
Nope but you can return them and buy new.

I find no matter what others say these exp since razors out perform the cheap dorco blades by a large margin. Much smoother better shave with less nicks and razor burn.
I don't know if things have changed (this was some years back) but I did get an adjustment when something I had bought went on sale the following week. They know/can verify what you bought, so there was no need for a receipt even.
Jan 2, 2014
232 posts
46 upvotes
superjett55 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 9:52 am
Just a note - if you're considering this, give the Edge Razor a try - It's a unique item to Costco I believe. The value equation is quite sharp - like the blades.
They are re-branded Schick quattro
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1468 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
The Costco "Edge" razors are amazing. I stocked up a few years ago and need a new one soon I think. Anyone know what price they go for these days?
Aug 5, 2015
262 posts
111 upvotes
Montreal, QC
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 2:06 pm
The Costco "Edge" razors are amazing. I stocked up a few years ago and need a new one soon I think. Anyone know what price they go for these days?
That's what I'm using and buying. I don't remember the exact price but its much lower than Fusion, and in my opinion it's almost as good.
Happy Koodo customer :-)
Nov 9, 2005
774 posts
401 upvotes
Toronto
toguy wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 5:53 am
For those who use Gillette Fusion razors, Costco has them on sale this week. Original price for the 18-pack is $58.99, with $14 off this week, so $44.99 is the sale price. For reference, Walmart has the 12-pack on rollback and it is still $43.97, so with Costco you get 50% more for almost the same price (~$1 more than Walmart).
Pretty good deal for Gillette Fusion, just 11 cents more than Dollar Shave Club executive per cartridge. Not enough of a better shave for me to switch back to Gillette but it's a good deal for anyone already using them.

DSC Executive = $9.50 per 4 pack = $2.38 each
Gillette Fusion Costco = $44.99 per 18 pack = $2.49 each

I am very intrigued at the cost of the double-edged safety razors in here. How is shaving the tougher patches around your mouth and nose? I'd feel like above my mouth would be the toughest to get the right angles without cutting my lip on a safety razor.
Nov 16, 2015
39 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Jimmydeals wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 10:24 am
Thanks for these suggestions! I've been looking up the sets on Fendrihan for the longest time but good to know there's other options.

Too bad the Merkurs are mostly out of stock but I'll keep a lookout for restock.

Do you wet shave? - any suggestion for a decent starter badger brush?
if your on the fence with wet shaving and dont want the hassle of a bowl and brush i use this with my safety razor

https://www.kiehls.ca/en/mens/category/ ... mens-shave
Apr 26, 2003
803 posts
188 upvotes
MooseV2 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 9:02 am
Perhaps a good price, but for anyone who feels like they spend too much on razors, I urge you to check out double edged safety razors.

Get a starter set from ItalianBarber (based in Toronto) or Maggard.

I pay $8 for 100 blades from Amazon. Since I shave twice a week and use each blade 3 times, that lasts me 150 weeks or nearly 3 years. I could even use a new blade every time (only 8c each) and still only pay $8/year for shaving.
I bought a cheap DE handle and blades and it's great, but not so much when I shave my head. Yes, I shave my head and I find that the cartridge razors give a cleaner and easier shave for my big mis-shapened head. The flex of the cartridge razors is a lot more forgiving than the DE razor which I used on my face.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2143 posts
1244 upvotes
Toronto, ON
toguy wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 10:36 am
Well you lucky dog - I only get 1 day off per week!

I looked into DE shaving some time back, and love how cost-effective it is, but it looks like you need to be more careful/precise with that type of razor, something that I likely won't be at 6 AM in the morning. I suppose I also would have to be swapping blades a lot more often vs. these cartridges that typically last a month or more. I'm sure it doesn't take that long to do, but it's just another little annoyance in the morning scramble...
Yes, when you first switch to a DE razor, you'll cut yourself a few times. But never more than a nick (thus the term "safety razor"). But it's only until you get the hang of it, and then once you do you can shave as quickly and sleepily as you like without any issues. It's just a matter of your hand's muscle memory adjusting. And you can in fact get a lot more than 3 shaves out of a blade (I don't know why anyone would change that often). I shave 3-4 times a week and only change blades about every couple months (or sooner if I have a special event and want a baby-smooth shave). I suppose those guys with steel whiskers will want to change more often. And some brands of blade last longer than others, but I've used several brands so far and they can all last weeks.
Switching blades is quick and easy. With most razors you just twist off the handle, separate the top and bottom pieces of the head, swap the blade, reassemle. Or you can get a cool vintage Gilette on eBay that has butterfly-style bay doors that open when you twist the handle - even more convenient than most new styles.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2143 posts
1244 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Jimmydeals wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 10:24 am
Thanks for these suggestions! I've been looking up the sets on Fendrihan for the longest time but good to know there's other options.

Too bad the Merkurs are mostly out of stock but I'll keep a lookout for restock.

Do you wet shave? - any suggestion for a decent starter badger brush?
There's a lot of noise online about a badger brush being "the best", and silver is better than standard, etc. It's not untrue, but it's also not necessary. I've got a mid-grade badger hair and a cheap boar hair. I do like the badger but I tend to use the boar almost all the time.
Details:
There are hard and soft shaving soaps. The badger is soft and works up a finer, more dense lather, but takes more time and effort to do so with hard soap. The boar hair is stiffer so it digs into the hard soap more and lathers it up faster. It also works great with soft soaps, just not as fine and luxurious a lather, but it's really not necessary to get that fine a lather to get a good shave. It's great to have a boar for hard soap and a badger for soft, but not necessary. If you just want one, go with boar if you want speed, or badger if you're willing to work a bit more for nicer lather (or just stick to soft soaps and it's still fast).
Oct 17, 2012
78 posts
46 upvotes
Surrey
From my experience double edge shaving is slower, doesn't shave as close, takes longer and more nicks. I'm sorry to upset all the shaving enthusiasts but there's a reason 99% of people stopped using them decades ago. I still use mine to line up my beard when I have one though so it's useful for that.

Fusion proglide is great for dragging over my face at 6am and despite having particularly coarse hair the blades last as long as a month
Mar 13, 2017
112 posts
80 upvotes
OakAged wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 5:48 pm
There's a lot of noise online about a badger brush being "the best", and silver is better than standard, etc. It's not untrue, but it's also not necessary. I've got a mid-grade badger hair and a cheap boar hair. I do like the badger but I tend to use the boar almost all the time.
Details:
There are hard and soft shaving soaps. The badger is soft and works up a finer, more dense lather, but takes more time and effort to do so with hard soap. The boar hair is stiffer so it digs into the hard soap more and lathers it up faster. It also works great with soft soaps, just not as fine and luxurious a lather, but it's really not necessary to get that fine a lather to get a good shave. It's great to have a boar for hard soap and a badger for soft, but not necessary. If you just want one, go with boar if you want speed, or badger if you're willing to work a bit more for nicer lather (or just stick to soft soaps and it's still fast).
I had no idea about the everyday difference in brush material so thanks for the tip.
I don't have sensitive skin so I think I should be okay with less than 'luxurious' lather.

It's probably best to start off with the cheaper stuff before going to fancy items. DE razor is where I'll start.

Thanks,
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2143 posts
1244 upvotes
Toronto, ON
vitaming wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 5:57 pm
From my experience double edge shaving is slower, doesn't shave as close, takes longer and more nicks. I'm sorry to upset all the shaving enthusiasts but there's a reason 99% of people stopped using them decades ago. I still use mine to line up my beard when I have one though so it's useful for that.

Fusion proglide is great for dragging over my face at 6am and despite having particularly coarse hair the blades last as long as a month
Your experience is the same as everyone's experience in the first couple weeks (or however long it takes you to adjust) - except the "doesn't shave as close" thing - that must be something you could have sorted out if you stuck with it. But no worries, you're not upsetting anyone. It's just a shame you gave up before you got the knack for it.

Yes, there's a reason people switched: the power of marketing. Gillette invested big money into promoting the "cool new way to shave". They had to, because there's very little profit in standard razor blades, but they manage to sell plastic cartridges for a huge markup. And now most people learn to shave with a cartridge and aren't really aware of the DE option. Now all the marketing is about adding more and more blades to a tool that already works great with one or two.

Whatever, I have nothing to gain by promoting DE shaving. I just want to make sure people are aware of the option, because I think it's well worth the initial expense and adjustment phase to get a very low-cost shave, and I like it more than cartridge & can, and it seems others who switch do too.
Sep 13, 2011
915 posts
115 upvotes
MooseV2 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 9:02 am
Perhaps a good price, but for anyone who feels like they spend too much on razors, I urge you to check out double edged safety razors.

Get a starter set from ItalianBarber (based in 2Toronto) or Maggard.

I pay $8 for 100 blades from Amazon. Since I shave twice a week and use each blade 3 times, that lasts me 150 weeks or nearly 3 years. I could even use a new blade every time (only 8c each) and still only pay $8/year for shaving.
I shave once every 2 weeks, perks of being Asian