Hot Deals

[Costco] Costco new roadside assistance package (Vengo by Axa)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 8:19 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
4803 posts
1350 upvotes
ON
deal_king wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 10:35 am
I read somewhere that you can use the four tows as free pickups and dropoffs if you feel too drunk to drive. Imagine a free 250km ride for you and the family???? That would be insane!
Indeed !! 250km of this with your family in tow.
Oct 22, 2017
1 posts
18 upvotes
quebecoor wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 10:17 am
On the phone, Vengo customer service says that we have the choice within towing distance... I would have preferred to see this written in terms and conditions...

Canadian Tire deal is coming next month, at least I have some feedback about CT but Vengo, never heard about them even Axa is one of the biggest insurance company.
Created this account to let y'all know about my experience. First post, then, obviously, but don't worry, I've been lurking out here a long time, I know the drill!

So, long story short worked at CAA, AXA and bought CT roadside assistance a while back
Pros and cons for each, real quick :

CT - they'll either tow you home or to the nearest CT, wherever you may be. That could be a good thing if you're okay with them repairing your car.
CAA: Been around the block for a while. They have their own fleet of trucks in the metro areas, and are kind of picky as to who they hire, which make them ''usually'' more knowledgeable regarding how they will install your car on the tow truck. Bonus : they may offer you to install a new battery on your car if you've got a bad one. Of course they're usually less cheap than in store, but you pay for the commodity. Although you may also ask them to test your battery for free, they'll probably try to sell you one anyway, but the test in itself is free. Bonus no. 2 : they now cover snowmobiles and ATV's, which they did not in the past few years. Membership prices may have gone up since then, though. Call them to see.

Vengo/AXA : In-house roadside assistance from AXA Assistance (different from AXA Insurance, which was bought a while back by Intact Insurance). They're QC based, so take that as you like. One thing though : since they do not have that big of a consumer base, they also do roadside assistance for other companies (usually credit card and/or other insurance programs), and kind of priotize their ''big'' clients so you will get burned when you call on a big snowstorm. We're talking 60 min wait times before having an attendant answer your call. They don't have their fleet, and usually rely on big tow truck companies in cities. Stuck in the country ? They will do what you and me would do: call the local guy and see if they would do it. On a side note, the closest authorized shop is usually based on a Google search (no kidding). Mom and pop, Canadian Tire, Green and Ross, whichever's the closest, that's where they'll bring you. Take everything below with a grain of salt though, maybe the Costco contract will change the way they handle things.

Just my two cents.
Dec 27, 2007
326 posts
84 upvotes
deal_king wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 10:35 am
I read somewhere that you can use the four tows as free pickups and dropoffs if you feel too drunk to drive. Imagine a free 250km ride for you and the family???? That would be insane!
The CAA "red nose" aka Drive You Home option is only up to 25km ;)
Last edited by kkostadinof on Oct 23rd, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 8, 2009
730 posts
217 upvotes
Kitchener
If wife and I have 2 cars total, no kids. It seems like buying 2 standard plans, one for each car, is better then getting the family plan right?

Or am I missing something?
May 13, 2012
3 posts
I'm with Vengo thru National Bank car insurance and I had to use them while I was in NY during Thanksgiving (it was a sunday). They told me that I had up to 25 km to the garage of my choice (don't know if this was for this particular case (USA) or in general).

For your info, the towing they called was part of the AAA (us equivalent of CAA).
Oct 30, 2010
47 posts
7 upvotes
Ottawa
steved54321 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 9:09 am
To my knowledge CAA is the only roadside assistance which will drive you to where ever you want the car dropped off ie. Your goto mechanic or your home. Only one person needs CAA as you get 4 tows per year. The Plus membership is 200 or 250 km. I was looking into this earlier like 2 weeks ago. Also the member doesn't have to be with you when you get your car towed. These are deal breakers if you ask me. Last think you want is your car getting towed to one or their authorized mechanics which can cost you a fortune to fix. If my mother in law didn't have CAA I would have purchased it myself as I had to tow my car twice already and first time cost me $120 2 weeks ago. 2nd was CAA. It's a no brainer if you ask me.
I've had the Canadian Tire Gold for years. They also tow you anywhere up to 250km. It is 4 or 5 per year....I don't recall as never used more than one. It's also covers Canada and the US. It is on the vehicle not the driver and I only have one vehicle so perfect for me. I buy it when it goes on special each year for $50 or $60, plus it includes a free oil change and a coupon for a $20 oil change. The CAA cost is nowhere near as good as that for anyone with a single vehicle. CAA has more hotel discounts which I do not need and bike assist, which I would like but cannot justify the extra cost for it. And my wife would need to be added for the CAA coverage on my single vehicle.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3021 posts
668 upvotes
Montreal
steved54321 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 9:09 am
To my knowledge CAA is the only roadside assistance which will drive you to where ever you want the car dropped off ie. Your goto mechanic or your home. Only one person needs CAA as you get 4 tows per year. The Plus membership is 200 or 250 km. I was looking into this earlier like 2 weeks ago. Also the member doesn't have to be with you when you get your car towed. These are deal breakers if you ask me. Last think you want is your car getting towed to one or their authorized mechanics which can cost you a fortune to fix. If my mother in law didn't have CAA I would have purchased it myself as I had to tow my car twice already and first time cost me $120 2 weeks ago. 2nd was CAA. It's a no brainer if you ask me.
CAA is more expensive than other options (prices vary by province so I won't bother with examples). Also, as far as I know (and when I was last a CAA member), the coverage is per person and therefore every driver in the family needs to be listed as a member - at extra a cost. So AFAIK, your comment about the member not needing to be there is wrong. their terms of service even state they can ask for ID.
It was a no-brainer for me to switch to a less expensive alternative, especially as my children reached driving age. CAA is not the only ones that will tow where you want (I'm speaking from experience).
Feb 3, 2017
35 posts
16 upvotes
Just ordered this with call of duty WWII pre order and used the $25 OFF Masterpass promo. I need the 250km tow option as I have a Tesla and the service centres are very few and far between as of yet.
Jan 13, 2008
348 posts
97 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I am one month away from my renewal, and thanks to this post I found out that Costco once again discontinued the SOS Roadside Assistance Program. Too bad then, I have to go back to CAA.
The reviews for the Standard Plus program are not great, and I have never heard of AXA. My big issue is with "take the vehicle to an authorized repair center (shop) of its choice". Imagine having to wait for hours on a cold snowy winter for these guys to show up, and then argue with them about the place to tow. All this to save twenty something dollars. Not worth it.
May 6, 2008
71 posts
17 upvotes
whatsthedillio wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 12:21 pm
Created this account to let y'all know about my experience. First post, then, obviously, but don't worry, I've been lurking out here a long time, I know the drill!

So, long story short worked at CAA, AXA and bought CT roadside assistance a while back
Pros and cons for each, real quick :

CT - they'll either tow you home or to the nearest CT, wherever you may be. That could be a good thing if you're okay with them repairing your car.
CAA: Been around the block for a while. They have their own fleet of trucks in the metro areas, and are kind of picky as to who they hire, which make them ''usually'' more knowledgeable regarding how they will install your car on the tow truck. Bonus : they may offer you to install a new battery on your car if you've got a bad one. Of course they're usually less cheap than in store, but you pay for the commodity. Although you may also ask them to test your battery for free, they'll probably try to sell you one anyway, but the test in itself is free. Bonus no. 2 : they now cover snowmobiles and ATV's, which they did not in the past few years. Membership prices may have gone up since then, though. Call them to see.

Vengo/AXA : In-house roadside assistance from AXA Assistance (different from AXA Insurance, which was bought a while back by Intact Insurance). They're QC based, so take that as you like. One thing though : since they do not have that big of a consumer base, they also do roadside assistance for other companies (usually credit card and/or other insurance programs), and kind of priotize their ''big'' clients so you will get burned when you call on a big snowstorm. We're talking 60 min wait times before having an attendant answer your call. They don't have their fleet, and usually rely on big tow truck companies in cities. Stuck in the country ? They will do what you and me would do: call the local guy and see if they would do it. On a side note, the closest authorized shop is usually based on a Google search (no kidding). Mom and pop, Canadian Tire, Green and Ross, whichever's the closest, that's where they'll bring you. Take everything below with a grain of salt though, maybe the Costco contract will change the way they handle things.

Just my two cents.
CT's service tows you anywhere, not just CT or home. I've been on the gold plan for a couple years and have needed a couple tows - life with a high mileage German car! They always send a flatbed on request, and have had no issues towing home (2x) or to my preferred mechanic (2x, one time being 170km). Highly recommend the service.
Nov 9, 2007
331 posts
143 upvotes
Scarborough
"1.1 Towing
A towing service for any mechanical breakdowns or roadside breakdowns, provided by a Service Provider, which may take the vehicle to
an authorized repair center (shop) of its choice, subject to the distance limits established in the Program to which the Member has subscribed.
Beyond such distance, any additional costs payable by the Service Provider shall be paid by the Eligible Person."

I don't trust it because the wording is clearly in favor of the Service Provider (tow truck). They CAN tow it to their buddy's shop and you can't do anything because its in writing. On a busy winter day, I'm sure its a no brainer whether to tow your car to a local shop nearby that they might get a kickback on, vs spending 2 hrs on the road missing out on all the other service calls they could get.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4363 posts
2964 upvotes
GTA
GT!! wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 2:24 pm
CAA is more expensive than other options (prices vary by province so I won't bother with examples). Also, as far as I know (and when I was last a CAA member), the coverage is per person and therefore every driver in the family needs to be listed as a member - at extra a cost. So AFAIK, your comment about the member not needing to be there is wrong. their terms of service even state they can ask for ID.
It was a no-brainer for me to switch to a less expensive alternative, especially as my children reached driving age. CAA is not the only ones that will tow where you want (I'm speaking from experience).
I've been using my dad's CAA service for 20 years. I've had to call them a few times and they've never asked to see the CAA card (which I have) or my ID.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15881 posts
4747 upvotes
Ottawa
fuc847 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 9:12 pm
might be a silly question, how long does this coverage last? 1 year? it doesnt say
It's does say!
Screenshot_2017-10-24-05-58-24.jpg
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
2330 posts
792 upvotes
alexjdb wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 8:37 pm
CT's service tows you anywhere, not just CT or home. I've been on the gold plan for a couple years and have needed a couple tows - life with a high mileage German car! They always send a flatbed on request, and have had no issues towing home (2x) or to my preferred mechanic (2x, one time being 170km). Highly recommend the service.
CT will also tow you to ANY Canadian Tire location (within the 250km limit) - not just the closest one. This doesn't count against your tow limit (this is for the gold plan - the silver is a 10km tow distance).