Hot Deals

[Costco] Costco new roadside assistance package (Vengo by Axa)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 8:19 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18691 posts
1105 upvotes
Oracle1729 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 9:01 am
Good catch. CAA will tow anywhere in the radius you're paying for, and since we have a preferred repair shop about 40km from home, towing to the "closest" one is useless to us.

The more I think about it, for most people a tow to the closest "authorized" repair shop to your breakdown is the height of penny-wise pound-foolish. Better to spend a bit more on a tow to a known reputable shop.
This totally depends on why you are buying the service.

We have two brand new cars. I don't buy services like this to tow cars to repair shops. I buy them so that when my wife is travelling in the snow with my 2 year old daughter in the middle of nowhere and I am halfway across the continent, I don't have to worry about her. I don't care if the car gets towed to Canadian Tire or Joes Ripoff Centre as long as it's back to civilization.

I don't live in this world where people get their cars towed "3 or 4 times a year"... man, I don't know how anyone would put up with that. Maintain your vehicle! I've hard my car towed to a repair shop once in my entire life and i am almost 40.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Apr 29, 2014
595 posts
105 upvotes
Pickering, ON
mawzi wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 11:52 am
What's wrong with Canadian tire? They towed my car 200 kms no questions asked.
They dont have the deal for $50+ anymore
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
2196 posts
1536 upvotes
Markham
GT!! wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 11:10 am
There's also the goodsamclub package at $89US for new customers. http://www.goodsamclub.com/services/roadside.aspx
I know quite a few jumped to this when Costco's comparable plan got too expensive.
I am a member of GoodSamClub.
$89US covers my 2 cars and 3 drivers in my family for 1 year.
Actually the coverage is for any car you and your family members (same address) are driving.
Towing is to the closest repair depot with no limitation of the distance.

Called them once when I needed a boost start of battery in rural Ontario.
Quick response and courteous service.

Now on sale $69.95US
https://www.goodsamroadside.com/Fall17/ ... atinum.cfm
Last edited by drdtyc on Oct 24th, 2017 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3015 posts
664 upvotes
Montreal
engineered wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 12:33 am
I've been using my dad's CAA service for 20 years. I've had to call them a few times and they've never asked to see the CAA card (which I have) or my ID.
So are you saying that you feel that you are properly covered with CAA and that even if they knew it was just in your dad's name that they would be ok providing service? From the way I read their agreement you are not covered. Just because they haven't asked you the few times you've used it doesn't mean they won't the next time. When I buy this type of thing it is for peace of mind, and running the risk of them asking for proof of coverage does not provide that.
Oct 30, 2013
946 posts
525 upvotes
I'm going to hold out for CT Roadside assistance discount next month. Hopefully it is 50% off. If not, this seems like regular price on costco.ca

I've had good experience with CT Roadside assistance.

1 call for towing from my home to garage.
1 call for tire change when I was at work.
1 call for towing for tire change.

Had no problem with any of those, and reasonably fast service. On an average 30-45 min from the moment I initiated the call to the person arriving at the location.
Jun 5, 2007
183 posts
60 upvotes
Ottawa
Groupon is selling a roadside assistance deal from a company called Ubeepus and their sale price is $44 but with the right promo code you'll get it for under $40. It's a basic one but still a pretty good price. I'm not using them but just sharing this info.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4289 posts
2899 upvotes
GTA
GT!! wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 10:27 am
So are you saying that you feel that you are properly covered with CAA and that even if they knew it was just in your dad's name that they would be ok providing service? From the way I read their agreement you are not covered. Just because they haven't asked you the few times you've used it doesn't mean they won't the next time. When I buy this type of thing it is for peace of mind, and running the risk of them asking for proof of coverage does not provide that.
No, I have no expectation of coverage and would be fine paying for the tow if they did. I don't use it for peace of mind, just the rare times when I needed a tow (locked keys in trunk once, battery boost when left lights on, fuel pump failed, and water pump failed). For flat tires, which I've only had once in 20 years (knock on wood), I can change my to my spare in much less time than it takes for a tow truck to come.
Jan 16, 2011
366 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto
How does this compare with the auto club offered with one of the TD VISA? I think they're changing the cards/terms at the end of this year.

To waive the annual fee on the VISA, I had to park 5 grand at their Select Checking Acct or sth, earning 0 interest, which is an opportunity cost of at least $50 at 1ppy.

Edit: just found out TD Auto Club is provided by AXA Assistance Canada Inc.
[OP]
Jan 21, 2015
71 posts
37 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I finally/wisely decided to wait for the CT discount next month (fingers crossed), even with the $25 off Masterpass promo on costco.ca
Nov 28, 2009
111 posts
53 upvotes
Markham
GT!! wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 2:24 pm
CAA is more expensive than other options (prices vary by province so I won't bother with examples). Also, as far as I know (and when I was last a CAA member), the coverage is per person and therefore every driver in the family needs to be listed as a member - at extra a cost. So AFAIK, your comment about the member not needing to be there is wrong. their terms of service even state they can ask for ID.
It was a no-brainer for me to switch to a less expensive alternative, especially as my children reached driving age. CAA is not the only ones that will tow where you want (I'm speaking from experience).
I just towed my car 5 days ago with my in laws CAA, she wasn't home the lady on the phone said no worries, and your point?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3015 posts
664 upvotes
Montreal
steved54321 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 8:29 pm
I just towed my car 5 days ago with my in laws CAA, she wasn't home the lady on the phone said no worries, and your point?
You weren't covered and they gave you a break. Is that the point you are trying to make?
Dec 23, 2012
12 posts
GEORGETOWN
Just signed up for Good Sam Roadside Assistance they have a special on now
Will cover each family members vehicle
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2010
1774 posts
178 upvotes
I am pretty satisfied with CT roadside.
Jun 13, 2004
188 posts
29 upvotes
So not everyone can afford brand new cars. Some of us make due with what we can. Just saying

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)