Hot Deals

[Costco] Costco new roadside assistance package (Vengo by Axa)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 8:19 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2218 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
brunes wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 8:17 am
We have two brand new cars. I don't buy services like this to tow cars to repair shops. I buy them so that when my wife is travelling in the snow with my 2 year old daughter in the middle of nowhere and I am halfway across the continent, I don't have to worry about her. I don't care if the car gets towed to Canadian Tire or Joes Ripoff Centre as long as it's back to civilization.

I don't live in this world where people get their cars towed "3 or 4 times a year"... man, I don't know how anyone would put up with that. Maintain your vehicle! I've hard my car towed to a repair shop once in my entire life and i am almost 40.
Brand new cars, only worried about getting to civilization. Why would you bother to buy any auto club service? If that one time out of 20+ years happens, just call your well paid auto dealer, where you have a warranty, and let them pick it up, and she takes a cab home.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4382 posts
2973 upvotes
GTA
beachlover wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 10:08 am
Brand new cars, only worried about getting to civilization. Why would you bother to buy any auto club service? If that one time out of 20+ years happens, just call your well paid auto dealer, where you have a warranty, and let them pick it up, and she takes a cab home.
And what will your wife do when she has a flat tire? Or runs out of gas? Don't think your dealer is going to give you a free tow for that.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3023 posts
669 upvotes
Montreal
beachlover wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 10:08 am
The service departments of most auto dealers are not open 24x7 ... good luck trying to get help from them if you're outside of their business hours. However, don't most new cars come with roadside assistance for the duration of the warranty (making this redundant)?
Oct 18, 2007
68 posts
7 upvotes
Thornhill
Just started leasing a new Sportage. No need to call dealer. Here's my info and likely the same for most vehicle manufacturers.
Once you own a Kia, you gain access to comprehensive roadside assistance through Kia’s Extra Care program. Take one more worry off your mind knowing that you have access to emergency roadside assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, from anywhere in Canada and the Continental U.S. Just dial 1-866-444-KIA1 (5421) if you need help. Roadside Assistance is included for the first 60 months or 100,000 km that you own your vehicle, whichever occurs first. The program covers the vehicle registered, regardless of who is driving.

Kia’s Roadside Assistance Coverage includes:
Mechanical Breakdown Towing to nearest dealership
Emergency Battery Boost
Winching/Extrication
Tire Change
Gas Delivery
Lock Out Service
Trip Interruption Services

24-hours-service Roadside Emergency Tips
While Kia’s Roadside Assistance will protect you on the road, it doesn’t hurt to travel prepared. Having a few essential tools and gear in your trunk will make a breakdown less stressful, and can even save your life if you find yourself caught in extreme weather conditions.

Here are a few items that are essential for your roadside emergency kit:

A toolkit containing screwdrivers, wrenches or sockets, and gloves so you can work on your vehicle
Jumper cables (make sure you also know how to jumpstart your car)
Tire jack and iron (*also periodically check your spare tire to ensure it’s inflated and in good shape)
Flat tire repair solution (you can find these at most auto parts stores)
Emergency reflectors and flares
Blanket, towels, hand warmers, and emergency candles
If you are mechanically inclined, keep some essential replacement parts like drive belts on hand. Even keeping old parts after your service can come in handy in an emergency.
Last edited by JeffThornhill on Oct 25th, 2017 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
Father James Keller
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15913 posts
4753 upvotes
Ottawa
JeffThornhill wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 11:51 am
Just started leasing a new Sportage. No need to call dealer. Here's my info and likely the same for most vehicle manufacturers.
Once you own a Kia, you gain access to comprehensive roadside assistance through Kia’s Extra Care program. Take one more worry off your mind knowing that you have access to emergency roadside assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, from anywhere in Canada and the Continental U.S. Just dial 1-866-444-KIA1 (5421) if you need help. Roadside Assistance is included for the first 60 months or 100,000 km that you own your vehicle, whichever occurs first. The program covers the vehicle registered, regardless of who is driving.

Kia’s Roadside Assistance Coverage includes:
Mechanical Breakdown Towing
Emergency Battery Boost
Winching/Extrication
Tire Change
Gas Delivery
Lock Out Service
Trip Interruption Services

24-hours-service Roadside Emergency Tips
While Kia’s Roadside Assistance will protect you on the road, it doesn’t hurt to travel prepared. Having a few essential tools and gear in your trunk will make a breakdown less stressful, and can even save your life if you find yourself caught in extreme weather conditions.

Here are a few items that are essential for your roadside emergency kit:

A toolkit containing screwdrivers, wrenches or sockets, and gloves so you can work on your vehicle
Jumper cables (make sure you also know how to jumpstart your car)
Tire jack and iron (*also periodically check your spare tire to ensure it’s inflated and in good shape)
Flat tire repair solution (you can find these at most auto parts stores)
Emergency reflectors and flares
Blanket, towels, hand warmers, and emergency candles
If you are mechanically inclined, keep some essential replacement parts like drive belts on hand. Even keeping old parts after your service can come in handy in an emergency.
Where's the info about distance, as it will likely say to the nearest dealership?
Oct 6, 2006
176 posts
88 upvotes
I have owned infinitis for the past 8 years ... you get "complimentary" (built into the price from the get go) road side assistance for 4 years. You will get towed to any of the 4 or 5 closest dealerships, or any body shop of your choosing (within 100km) .

I have gotten boosts (i hate how much tech are in cars these days) from them, gas, tows to dealership and body shops.

After 4 years, I signed up with canadian tire, tow driver would select their own location for garages and wouldn't take it to dealership unless I paid him $150 (not gonna happen), then traded that car in for another infiniti, so i have 2 more years now.
:twisted: May your wallet R.I.P :twisted:
Oct 18, 2007
68 posts
7 upvotes
Thornhill
vkizzle wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 3:14 pm
Where's the info about distance, as it will likely say to the nearest dealership?
A car manufacturer tows to its own nearest dealership. You're on your own from there.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
Father James Keller
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15913 posts
4753 upvotes
Ottawa
JeffThornhill wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 4:07 pm
A car manufacturer tows to its own nearest dealership. You're on your own from there.
That's why I bought this package :)
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3023 posts
669 upvotes
Montreal
vkizzle wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 3:14 pm
Isn't this exactly what you want for a car under warranty? Why would you want to tow it elsewhere?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15913 posts
4753 upvotes
Ottawa
GT!! wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 6:15 pm
Isn't this exactly what you want for a car under warranty? Why would you want to tow it elsewhere?
To the nearest dealership, is not necessarily the preferred dealership ;)
I bought my most recent vehicle from out of town (about 1.5hr there and back) and prefer to have it serviced there and nowhere near the crooks in town.
Jun 14, 2011
103 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
brunes wrote:
I don't live in this world where people get their cars towed "3 or 4 times a year"... man, I don't know how anyone would put up with that. Maintain your vehicle! I've hard my car towed to a repair shop once in my entire life and i am almost 40.
I don't understand why you have such a rude condescending attitude. First, this is RFD, you can save a lot of money buying a car a few years old and driving it into the ground. Plenty of people do. There's no need for you to be so insulting.

And I look at it the other way...why are you willing to let your wife drive a car that gets stuck in snow? Mine drives a 4x4 with large snow tires. She has never gotten stuck and she loves to aim for the deep snow banks.

Man, I don't know how anyone would put up with a cheap little toy car that gets stuck in a dusting of snow or slides off the road. I don't understand what kind of human being would do that to their wfie. Buy a proper vehicle for the climate! You're also a menace on the road with cars that aren't up to the road conditions.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2218 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 11:18 am
And what will your wife do when she has a flat tire? Or runs out of gas? Don't think your dealer is going to give you a free tow for that.
Anyone who runs out of gas, and can't change a tire. Someone's failed them as a parent, spouse, and partner....
Apr 18, 2017
80 posts
47 upvotes
brunes wrote:
This totally depends on why you are buying the service.

We have two brand new cars. I don't buy services like this to tow cars to repair shops. I buy them so that when my wife is travelling in the snow with my 2 year old daughter in the middle of nowhere and I am halfway across the continent, I don't have to worry about her. I don't care if the car gets towed to Canadian Tire or Joes Ripoff Centre as long as it's back to civilization.

Some gross numbers,
One tow in 20 years, at 50$ a year for membership is a thousand dollar per tow (to date)
Your wife doesn't need a membership to call CAA. Are you concerned they are going to rip you off if you don't have a membership?
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4382 posts
2973 upvotes
GTA
beachlover wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 5:45 am
Anyone who runs out of gas, and can't change a tire. Someone's failed them as a parent, spouse, and partner....
Agreed, but you know most people are too ignorant or useless to be able to change a tire. As for gas, gauges can fail and mis-report. Also, many cars don't even come with a spare. They might have a fix a flat kit (useless) or run flats (limited usability). When we had a spare-less car I bought a spare and put it in the trunk, but most people aren't going to do that.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13511 posts
3364 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 1:10 pm
Agreed, but you know most people are too ignorant or useless to be able to change a tire. As for gas, gauges can fail and mis-report. Also, many cars don't even come with a spare. They might have a fix a flat kit (useless) or run flats (limited usability). When we had a spare-less car I bought a spare and put it in the trunk, but most people aren't going to do that.
Very true, also people with disabilities may not be able to change a tire themselves.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts