Hot Deals

[Costco] Costco new roadside assistance package (Vengo by Axa)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 8:19 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3011 posts
664 upvotes
Montreal
beachlover wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 5:45 am
Anyone who runs out of gas, and can't change a tire. Someone's failed them as a parent, spouse, and partner....
I don't want my wife/partner/children out on the road changing a flat tire due to the danger (think highway) and a number of bad things that could happen (limited experience). I could argue that anyone who is willing to put their spouse and children in this situation has failed them.
Feb 1, 2009
822 posts
106 upvotes
Markham, GTA
steved54321 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 9:09 am
To my knowledge CAA is the only roadside assistance which will drive you to where ever you want the car dropped off ie. Your goto mechanic or your home. Only one person needs CAA as you get 4 tows per year. The Plus membership is 200 or 250 km. I was looking into this earlier like 2 weeks ago. Also the member doesn't have to be with you when you get your car towed. These are deal breakers if you ask me. Last think you want is your car getting towed to one or their authorized mechanics which can cost you a fortune to fix. If my mother in law didn't have CAA I would have purchased it myself as I had to tow my car twice already and first time cost me $120 2 weeks ago. 2nd was CAA. It's a no brainer if you ask me.
I believe the member must be with the vehicle and present their membership card for CAA to provide service.

Quotes from CAA Southern/Central Ontario website below:

Eligibility and Disclaimers
Roadside Service is provided when you present your valid membership card. (Other identification such as driver's license may also be required). A spouse or dependant living in your household is eligible for an Associate membership at a reduced price.

Remember your membership - including your eligibility for Roadside Service - applies only to you. It is not transferable, which means you cannot lend your membership card to someone else.

Eligibility: Your CAA membership covers you, not the vehicle

Your membership covers all emergency services listed under Roadside Service Benefits. Service is available to the Member whose name appears on a valid membership card. To provide Roadside Service to individuals who live in the same household - even if they drive a Member's car - they must have a valid Associate membership card.

Source: https://www.caasco.com/Auto/Roadside-Se ... imers.aspx
If my sanity has to go, it is my job to keep its absence to myself. :D
Nov 28, 2009
111 posts
53 upvotes
Markham
beeknight wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 2:00 pm
I believe the member must be with the vehicle and present their membership card for CAA to provide service.

Quotes from CAA Southern/Central Ontario website below:

Eligibility and Disclaimers
Roadside Service is provided when you present your valid membership card. (Other identification such as driver's license may also be required). A spouse or dependant living in your household is eligible for an Associate membership at a reduced price.

Remember your membership - including your eligibility for Roadside Service - applies only to you. It is not transferable, which means you cannot lend your membership card to someone else.

Eligibility: Your CAA membership covers you, not the vehicle

Your membership covers all emergency services listed under Roadside Service Benefits. Service is available to the Member whose name appears on a valid membership card. To provide Roadside Service to individuals who live in the same household - even if they drive a Member's car - they must have a valid Associate membership card.

Source: https://www.caasco.com/Auto/Roadside-Se ... imers.aspx
I was on the phone with them, told them my mother in law is a plus member, they said no problem over the phone. The next day I called them and told them the owner of the card has to go to work and won't be home.
The operator said no problem they just said member not home just keep the CAA card with you. When the CAA tow truck came he didn't even ask me to show him the card. I took it out to show him he said they already know it's fine.
He didn't even take a look.

She gets 4 tows now she has 3.

Just sharing my experience.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13436 posts
3340 upvotes
Toronto
steved54321 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 5:19 pm
I was on the phone with them, told them my mother in law is a plus member, they said no problem over the phone. The next day I called them and told them the owner of the card has to go to work and won't be home.
The operator said no problem they just said member not home just keep the CAA card with you. When the CAA tow truck came he didn't even ask me to show him the card. I took it out to show him he said they already know it's fine.

Technically iirc their policy is to ask for the person and the membership and license, but if you get lucky and the operator doesn't care then you got lucky, but the official policy has not been changed afaik. Also if that call is evaluated by the supervisor or QA dept the operator may be written up (i have worked in a call center and have seen this happen)
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4283 posts
2896 upvotes
GTA
Quentin5 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 5:45 pm
Technically iirc their policy is to ask for the person and the membership and license, but if you get lucky and the operator doesn't care then you got lucky, but the official policy has not been changed afaik. Also if that call is evaluated by the supervisor or QA dept the operator may be written up (i have worked in a call center and have seen this happen)
Has anyone ever been asked for ID when getting service from CAA?
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13436 posts
3340 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:34 pm
Has anyone ever been asked for ID when getting service from CAA?
Not sure, in the last 104 years of their existence its plausible that CAA has asked at least one person for ID.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10132 posts
585 upvotes
Oracle1729 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 7:56 pm
I don't understand why you have such a rude condescending attitude. First, this is RFD, you can save a lot of money buying a car a few years old and driving it into the ground. Plenty of people do. There's no need for you to be so insulting.

And I look at it the other way...why are you willing to let your wife drive a car that gets stuck in snow? Mine drives a 4x4 with large snow tires. She has never gotten stuck and she loves to aim for the deep snow banks.

Man, I don't know how anyone would put up with a cheap little toy car that gets stuck in a dusting of snow or slides off the road. I don't understand what kind of human being would do that to their wfie. Buy a proper vehicle for the climate! You're also a menace on the road with cars that aren't up to the road conditions.
I think you are taking too much offense from brunes post. I don't see brunes crapping on people with older cars, just ones that need towing 3-4 times a year. Older cars maintained well hardly need towing 3 or 4 times a year, and if you do require that much towing its not making much financial sense to keep that car. Brunes wasn't talking about everyone having brand new cars.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4283 posts
2896 upvotes
GTA
Quentin5 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:51 pm
Not sure, in the last 104 years of their existence its plausible that CAA has asked at least one person for ID.
I'm legitimately curious if anyone here has been asked.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4120 posts
157 upvotes
Peterborough
engineered wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 10:02 pm
Never been asked but don't use it as often anymore. Used it quite a bit when I had an old Jetta TDI but once I got rid of that money pit car I haven't had to use it in years.
PSN ID: SaabFanatic
Dec 8, 2008
804 posts
66 upvotes
Montreal, QC
They used to ask me for both but haven't used it in the last 4 years with new car
Feb 1, 2009
822 posts
106 upvotes
Markham, GTA
engineered wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 10:02 pm
Not really.

I have a somewhat related experience though. Our Subaru came with a 3-year CAA roadside assistance and it needed a battery boost one day (dash cam fell and hit the emergency lights which drained batteryFace With Tears Of Joy) -- my wife called and cited the Subaru service number; CAA agreed to send someone over. She got a text msg from CAA asking her to get her CAA membership card (which she doesn't have) ready for inspection (I think that's just a computer-generated msg sent to anyone who called for CAA); however she was never asked to show anything when the technician arrived.

BTW, I have been a CAA member for 5 years (3 years regular and 2 years plus) but never used their service (knocking on wood....) I do wonder if it's worth it -- like someone said above, I have spent $400 plus on CAA without material benefits. What would happen if a non-CAA member call their number for towing service -- I know you can't become a member right away but would they still send someone and if so how would you be charged?
Last edited by beeknight on Oct 27th, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 1, 2009
822 posts
106 upvotes
Markham, GTA
steved54321 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 5:19 pm

Thanks for sharing!
Nov 28, 2011
48 posts
9 upvotes
Belleville
quebecoor wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 10:17 am

Canadian Tire deal is coming next month, at least I have some feedback about CT but Vengo, never heard about them even Axa is one of the biggest insurance company.
That's great, but how do you know the Canadian Tire deal is coming next month? If it is, I'll wait.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16433 posts
1763 upvotes
Montreal
I'm looking to cover 1 car only, but driven by two family members. The other car still has the original roadside assistance.

My understanding is that the best bet is to go for the CT Gold, hopefully with the upcoming rebate?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

JeffThornhill