Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Dragon Breath Lump Charcoal 20 lb Bag $11.99 YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2017 10:04 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
7220 posts
5992 upvotes

[Costco] Dragon Breath Lump Charcoal 20 lb Bag $11.99 YMMV

Costco (I was at the Toronto Business Center Costco) has Dragon Breath charcoal on for $3 off their regular price - sale on until May 21.

I have no idea if the regular Costco stores in Eastern Canada also have the sale.

Now that summer is upon us, for those who use a lot of lump charcoal the price is decent.

Naked Wiz review here:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag78.htm

19 replies
Jul 15, 2007
155 posts
267 upvotes
Markham
Just bought a bag yesterday from Woodbine highway 7 Costco at regular price $14.99. No sale
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2012
1415 posts
260 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Dixie Dundas was 11.99 today, picked some up. Not the greatest stuff, but I was running low.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2004
3899 posts
294 upvotes
Markham
I saw a different brand at Richmond Hill the other day for $13.99:

My cart was fairly full and I still have a bag of Dragon Breath from last summer left so I passed, overall I was satisfied with the size of the charcoal but I still like mixing it with briquettes, as they tend to last longer.
Deal Guru
May 23, 2003
10229 posts
1652 upvotes
GTA
I opened up a bag of the Dragon's Breath this past weekend for my first smoking session in a while (some beef ribs). I was surprised that there was some distinguishable branch shaped charcoal in the bag. Hadn't seen that before even with lump. I didn't check how much I burned through but it seemed to perform well.

I didnt know Costco was selling the Basques stuff this year too... I had bought that in previous years (the Green Bag stuff). Might make a trip out to Costco before the 21st to pick up a few more bags of Dragon Breath to last me through the year..
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
1116 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
Confirmed today at Richmond Hill location (404 / Elgin Mills) - about 20 bags left on the skid located in the BBQ aisle. There is no price sign above the skid, but it rings up $11.99 after the $3.00 discount.

Grabbed 4 bags, and just in time for a brisket and pork shoulder smoke this weekend! Thanks for the find @plymouthhater
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3661 posts
1079 upvotes
Whitby
must check the local costco to stock up
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1828 posts
884 upvotes
Up in the air
When I first started buying Dragon's Breath years ago it was really good stuff, nice and hot burning and lasted a long time. I bought it last year (2 bags) from Costco and it was utter garbage. Lots of bark, several long big logs, and lots of small twigs. Don't know if the company has changed or what the story is, but I'm not buying any more, and I wouldn't recommend buying lots of bags just in case the quality is still bad.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2006
1641 posts
1140 upvotes
flyboy320 wrote: When I first started buying Dragon's Breath years ago it was really good stuff, nice and hot burning and lasted a long time. I bought it last year (2 bags) from Costco and it was utter garbage. Lots of bark, several long big logs, and lots of small twigs. Don't know if the company has changed or what the story is, but I'm not buying any more, and I wouldn't recommend buying lots of bags just in case the quality is still bad.
Need more dragon, less breath.
Sep 17, 2007
357 posts
270 upvotes
Wasaga Beach
flyboy320 wrote: When I first started buying Dragon's Breath years ago it was really good stuff, nice and hot burning and lasted a long time. I bought it last year (2 bags) from Costco and it was utter garbage. Lots of bark, several long big logs, and lots of small twigs. Don't know if the company has changed or what the story is, but I'm not buying any more, and I wouldn't recommend buying lots of bags just in case the quality is still bad.
I tend to agree that it's not the best charcoal. I picked up about 20 bags when it was on clearance last year for around $6 a bag. It is very hard to light, and creates lost of ash. I much prefer the Basque stuff.
Oct 13, 2008
125 posts
101 upvotes
Markham
I was at Costco at woodbine and hwy 7 yesterday (may 17)
and it was 11.99
Nov 3, 2006
220 posts
280 upvotes
Toronto
I picked up a bag for $10 in Bomar Bargain Barn (Costco open-box/used items reseller) in Milton, Ontario a few days ago. I'm not sure how much is left there but I'd say it's worth checking out if you're in the area.
Jul 7, 2005
604 posts
177 upvotes
crzyclimber wrote: I was at Costco at woodbine and hwy 7 yesterday (may 17)
and it was 11.99
I second that!

was there grabbing propane also....is that a blasphemous thing to say when were talking about charcoal?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
4952 posts
1086 upvotes
BushCaddy wrote:
I tend to agree that it's not the best charcoal. I picked up about 20 bags when it was on clearance last year for around $6 a bag. It is very hard to light, and creates lost of ash. I much prefer the Basque stuff.
I was going to buy this week's ago, until I saw that it is imported. I think I read China? I could be wrong though. It's Mexico as another poster has corrected me.
Last edited by bluetroll on May 20th, 2017 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I live my life a quarter-mile at a time, for those 10 seconds or less... i'm free."
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
7220 posts
5992 upvotes
bluetroll wrote: I was going to buy this week's ago, until I saw that it is imported. I think I read China? I could be wrong though.
Bag says "Product of Mexico"
Apr 17, 2006
101 posts
13 upvotes
Just wanted to mention my experience with the dragons breath charcoal, I bought several bags last year and I use my smoker a lot all through the winter.

The Dragon's Breath I believe most would consider sub par product but I do find use for it. It seems to be wetter, I suspect its not baked as long or as hot to save cost, this makes it heavier, ash more and not burn as hot, it also makes it more smokey and maybe even burn a bit longer. That works for smoking I find, I don't need to add as much wood and I get a more smokey taste. However I did not find it worked as well for searing or getting up to higher temps faster for making pizza type thing.

If I see it for $11 I'll for sure grab some more but I'll also keep my eye out for that natures own mentioned above too for other applications.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2654 posts
1789 upvotes
Edmonton
Last bag I bought had about 8 fist sized rocks in it.

Think I'll pass.......
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
1116 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
I just cracked open one of the 4 bags I just bought and there seems to be a good mix of large and small pieces (see attached picture). Quite a few chips as well which is to be expected. I've loaded this up into the smoker for tomorrow's brisket and pork butt smoke... let's see how well it burns.

Edit: For what it's worth, I also got bonus drainage rocks in bags of Basque / Nature's Own bags. Granted they weren't fist-sized.
Images
  • IMG_20170520_135043615_HDR.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
Saw people returning this last Thursday and they complained that it had too much muskie versus charcoal. Guess this is how they were able to keep it at this price.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3661 posts
1079 upvotes
Whitby
Bought two bags on the last day of the sale. Used it this past weekend and I saw alot of logs with bark on it still. Not what I am using to seeing that is considered as charcoal. Underwhelmed.

I guess I'll stick with nature's own, but ad other have mentioned I do run into the odd rock here and there.