Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Duracell Durabeam Ultra 1000lm LED Flashlight

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2019 9:55 am
Tags:
None
14 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32150 posts
15429 upvotes
Socially Distanced
It uses C batteries which are not widely available in rechargeables, so if you use this more then a few mins a week your going to be spending quite a bit on batteries. That said you can get some spacers to allow rechargeable AAs to power it, though i find they flicker when you shake whatever they are in.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Dec 18, 2006
144 posts
380 upvotes
vancouver
If these are like those crappy 3 packs it's buyer beware.

They constant drain
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
4081 posts
7026 upvotes
GTA North
I hope these flashlights are not like the Duracell 300 (3 pack) 3xAAA battery aluminum flashlights. Was reading how thier circuits were always on IIRC from the Amazon reviews I've read and how the batteries were drained out after in approx 2months in storage. So when you're in an emergency and you reach for your flashlight you either get a few mins of power before it drains out or just won't turn on at all.

Sure there those that say to not load batteries into the flashlight before using it and that is true for any electronic device. Yes, you should carry spare batteries with a flashlight as well but IMHO draining out in a flashlight in just about 2months time is not acceptable for my use. Heck even my 2xC Maglite LED (using 2xAA adaptors) lasts approx 6-7months in storage with light usage during power outages or checking around the home (~1-3mins use each time).

Some reviews question if that was Duracells intent to get you to buy more batteries. It sure seems that way as Duracells bread and butter is in selling batteries.

EDIT:
I own a Duracell 300. While it did work for a few days it seemed to only last like a couple weeks then it seemed the circuitboard fizzled out and no longer works. I will say tho the housing is good. It does have an 'assault' crown (are they going to ban assault flashlights now? :P) and a good 50/50 smooth/orange peel reflector for good light spread and throw for it's size when it did work.

Hope the OP's flashlight works better. Hopefully someone is willing to give it a test to see are report back for everyone. For now I'll likely just buy a new premade flashlight circuitboard from DealExtreme then retrofit it into the light body and use it again.

EDIT2:

https://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Durabee ... B073RZPDCQ
Review on Amazon.
AlanFTL
1.0 out of 5 starsQuality issue
February 28, 2015
Size: 1000 Lumens
I have the exact same issue that others have posted here.....after a couple of weeks the flash light stopped working. It will come on for about one second then turn completely off. I bought two of these and I figured out the issue is with the butt cap. I swapped butt caps with the one that still works and the issue follows the butt cap (where on/off switch is). The one that works is a great flash light but obviously there is a quality issue here with the on/off switch judging by the fact that others are experiencing the same problem. Duracell...are you guys reading these reviews? What's the deal?
atlas
1.0 out of 5 starsMajor Design/Quality Control Problem
May 2, 2015
Size: 1000 Lumens|Verified Purchase
So far my flashlight works fine but I've only had it a few days. Some things that keep coming up with buyers. 1. Flashlight does not have a warranty from Duracell. 2. Use only 4C Alkaline batteries or you will burn out the LED quickly due to low resistance thus too high a current on other types. 3. If one or more of the batteries is weak the light will turn on then flash off, replace the batteries. 4. The end cap switch has had problems with failures soon after purchase, sometimes it will fail after a few times or weeks. 5. On some flashlights the moveable barrel that adjusts the beam is too loose and there is no way to tighten it. Amazon will take returns for 30 days only.
I am now on my second flashlight the first being defective. The problem is parasitic electrical drain even with the end cap switch off, with almost no use the batteries last about 5 weeks. I called the company's customer service number and they sent me a new flashlight with a different model end cap switch, same problem. The best part was when I explained to the customer service person what the problem was she said "we recommend that you do not store the flashlight with the batteries in it". What? you've got to be kidding me, that's their solution to an obviously defective design. I haven't decided if I want to waste any more of my time by asking for another one.

Only buy this if you plan on tinkering or upgrading the circuitboard later.
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
flashlights with high parasitic drain are stupid. There's no excuse to drain the battery after 5 months sitting in the drawer.

I pulled one of my really old Surefires with CR123 that I keep in the car glovebox for 12 years when I had a flat tire, and it provided light for me to change the entire tire (took 30 minutes in the dark). I dropped it several times on the concrete and it still kept on ticking. Now that's a flashlight that I can depend on.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Mar 14, 2005
686 posts
443 upvotes
There are nothing wrong with these lights. I have the 500l model and 750l model from Duracell from Costco. They don't run down the batteries. Not on sale at Costco Dartmouth otherwise I would buy this model.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
4912 posts
4932 upvotes
Ontario
lmao awesome a battery company selling a flashlight with high drain so you buy more of their batteries. They also use C size that are less common and less competitive and have a nasty price on itself lol

This deal is as cold as:
---
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3198 posts
1023 upvotes
Vancouver
I bought an earlier version of this several years ago on Black Friday. Could not remember whether it was only available in the States. I left the battery inside and used it once/twice a year. I am still on the original Duracell batteries. No draining issue.

For the Duracell 300/350 models, I screw the cap when I need to use them. Aside from the possible unnecessary draining, I find the spring which hold the battery very weak. It breaks easily.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32150 posts
15429 upvotes
Socially Distanced
If it has a physical switch it should not self drain. If it has an electronic switch it will self drain, but the speed is dependent on the circuit design. Finally alkaline batteries (also known as alkaleaks) are not good for long term storage, they leak occasionally (my experience is about 25% of the time) and once you start using them some of them seem to have a self drain inside the battery. Finally alkalines don't like high draw, at 1C you will get a fraction of its rated capacity, now i don't know what the amperage of these batteries are (though the light should be about 3A draw @ 1000 lumens) but alkalines only give their full capacity in a low draw application like a remote or clock or smoke detector and not in a digital camera or high draw flashlight.

Here is an example
http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries20 ... %20UK.html
Mar 11, 2012
105 posts
30 upvotes
Beamsville
I have a couple older models of this flashlight, bought from Costco several years ago. Have not had the drain issue at all (they have physical switches). I can confirm that using rechargeable batteries with spacers will burn out the LEDs though - only use alkaline batteries in these.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32150 posts
15429 upvotes
Socially Distanced
embee51 wrote: I have a couple older models of this flashlight, bought from Costco several years ago. Have not had the drain issue at all (they have physical switches). I can confirm that using rechargeable batteries with spacers will burn out the LEDs though - only use alkaline batteries in these.
Burn out the LED? What battery did you use on it?
Oct 19, 2003
356 posts
167 upvotes
I have the older AAA Costco ones... They are ok but eat batteries..i would get a AA pelican flashlight if I had to get one now.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7100 upvotes
West GTEH!
Good deal.
C size battery, I'll pass.
😎
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8554 posts
5570 upvotes
Trudostan
embee51 wrote: I have a couple older models of this flashlight, bought from Costco several years ago. Have not had the drain issue at all (they have physical switches). I can confirm that using rechargeable batteries with spacers will burn out the LEDs though - only use alkaline batteries in these.
With the soldering quality on some of these dollar store/costco grade lights, I'd be reasonably sure the LED itself was/is fine but some other part of the circuit is shorted. Some of the assembly/QC is outright nasty even if the cosmetic appearance of the light seems fine, as wild as it is some of the <$5 Sipik clones from a few years ago have surprisingly good circuit assembly for what they cost!
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/
Oct 15, 2008
378 posts
372 upvotes
canada
If anyone is still reading this, I have one of these that I bought a year ago (Duracell 1000 lumen, model #1746) and the batteries were completely drained when I went to use the light yesterday. Luckily it was only $10 on sale, so I'll just throw it somewhere in the toolbox just in case I still need it. I replaced it with the newer 1500 lumen model (article #1900545) that's a stainless-steel polyresin construction. The packaging specifically says (in all caps): "NO BATTERY DRAIN IN OFF POSITION".