Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Costco-East] National Geographic DSLR Sling, clearance $24.97

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2014 9:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario

[Costco-East] National Geographic DSLR Sling, clearance $24.97

Worn over the left shoulder as a backpack sling, swinging to the front puts the opening at the top.
If you wear it as a frontpack, it's lefty access.

(not for lots of gear, look into the Lowepro Slingshot and others for more room)

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/YO7bCWq.jpg[/IMG]
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8552 posts
11762 upvotes
GTA
The clearance price is not quite as good as the sale price from earlier this year. 33.99-10 = 23.99 It's only a buck but why would they put a clearance price higher than the usual sale price?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5156 posts
616 upvotes
in a plane
fightingscurvy wrote: here is a link to the product page: http://www.costco.ca/National-Geographi ... 13231.html

Does anyone have this bag and can comment on how they like it?
I have the bag. It's actually decent. For $33 it seemed reasonable, for $24 it seems great. It's a little bit weird how it sits on the shoulder - I can see lefties enjoying it more actually - but on the other hand it sits pretty close so it's a good setup. I suggest you give it a shot.

Btw it won't fit any bodies. Lenses only.
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
  • Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
  • wandering amphibia – a travel blog for the non-frequent traveler
Mar 14, 2012
6 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
fightingscurvy wrote: here is a link to the product page: http://www.costco.ca/National-Geographi ... 13231.html

Does anyone have this bag and can comment on how they like it?
Bought one last year at the regular price. The design is such that the larger compartment area is accessible via the side. There is a review on youtube under National Geographic Explorer Sling Bag Review. As OP said not for those who have lots of gear. Suitable for an MFT system that I have. Can fit most accessories (and a monopod to the side) but I would think can run out space fast for full frame systems with many other lenses. The build quality seems good.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5156 posts
616 upvotes
in a plane
wabisabi wrote: Bought one last year at the regular price. The design is such that the larger compartment area is accessible via the side. There is a review on youtube under National Geographic Explorer Sling Bag Review. As OP said not for those who have lots of gear. Suitable for an MFT system that I have. Can fit most accessories (and a monopod to the side) but I would think can run out space fast for full frame systems with many other lenses. The build quality seems good.
Actually I'm planning to use it with my 6D. Two large lenses (70-200 and 28-105) and maybe two or three primes (Zeiss 28, 50 and maybe the Rokinon 18) - plus batteries and various paraphernalia seems to fit rather well. Especially considering one of the lenses is always on the camera.
Oct 14, 2005
530 posts
53 upvotes
I have this. it's great for travelling but I find that the lenses do not fit securely in their compartments. If you aren't careful and you open it the wrong way, your lens could end up on the ground.
[removed for signature violation]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Pseudo Nim wrote: Btw it won't fit any bodies. Lenses only.
I believe that's true for FF especially with grip, but it fits my T5i with 18-55kit lens attached in the middle compartment. An individual telephoto zoom lens on the left. And a small prime lens on the right.
If the waterproof bag is removed from the top, it will fit extra batteries.
And the front pocket will fit a mini tablet, cellphone, filters, etc. Taking out the mini tablet, you might be able to squeeze a small flash in there (not sure, I haven't received my Yongnuo 500EX yet).
The bright yellow interior is great when it gets dim.
husdaman wrote: I have this. it's great for travelling but I find that the lenses do not fit securely in their compartments. If you aren't careful and you open it the wrong way, your lens could end up on the ground.
+1, that's why it's better to wear it as a backpack and swing it to the front. Then it opens from the top.

In summary, I wouldn't use this bag to travel all my gear. But I'd use it as a vehicle/hotel room to location pack (as an amateur who mainly takes pics/vids of my family).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5156 posts
616 upvotes
in a plane
I'm still deciding between this one and the full-on Canon SR700, but I'm leaning towards keeping this. I mostly need something to carry two or three lenses around while exploring a city - and this bag is great for that.

So I'll put up the Canon bag for sale in the BST forum I guess, in case anyone needs a serious bag.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1794 posts
631 upvotes
Mississauga
Pseudo Nim wrote: Btw it won't fit any bodies. Lenses only.
It's not a big bag, but it fits a 6D with 24-70 attached, plus two more mid-size lenses. it can fit a 6D with 70-200 2.8 or even a 150-600 attached once all dividers are removed.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5156 posts
616 upvotes
in a plane
aximrocks wrote: It's not a big bag, but it fits a 6D with 24-70 attached, plus two more mid-size lenses. it can fit a 6D with 70-200 2.8 or even a 150-600 attached once all dividers are removed.
Good point. I guess I haven't tried removing all the dividers (though it somewhat defeats the purpose in my view...) - anyhow, for my goals, my 6D sits on my neck all the time anyway, so it's not much of a problem. As long as it fits some lenses, which it does, all is well!
Dec 26, 2007
633 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote: I believe that's true for FF especially with grip, but it fits my T5i with 18-55kit lens attached in the middle compartment. An individual telephoto zoom lens on the left. And a small prime lens on the right.
If the waterproof bag is removed from the top, it will fit extra batteries.
And the front pocket will fit a mini tablet, cellphone, filters, etc. Taking out the mini tablet, you might be able to squeeze a small flash in there (not sure, I haven't received my Yongnuo 500EX yet).
The bright yellow interior is great when it gets dim.

+1, that's why it's better to wear it as a backpack and swing it to the front. Then it opens from the top.

In summary, I wouldn't use this bag to travel all my gear. But I'd use it as a vehicle/hotel room to location pack (as an amateur who mainly takes pics/vids of my family).

I am using a sony a58. It fits in the middle as well with the kit lens. I have a zoom and a 50mm on either side, battery charger and cell phone in pockets. It come with a waterproof shell to put over the bag in the top pocket.

I agree it can feel a little awkward over the shoulde but i find it ok to walk around with quickly acess the lenses
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Pseudo Nim wrote: Good point. I guess I haven't tried removing all the dividers (though it somewhat defeats the purpose in my view...) - anyhow, for my goals, my 6D sits on my neck all the time anyway, so it's not much of a problem. As long as it fits some lenses, which it does, all is well!
I'm not inclined to remove the dividers either, I'm weary having the equipment bump into each other.
I did take the one individual square and push it to the bottom of the middle compartment where the lens attached to the body sits on.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2005
2085 posts
274 upvotes
Markham, ON
I used this bag as my primary bag for a while, and managed to fit the following:

Canon 7D + Canon EF-S 17-55 2.8
Canon 70-200 F4L IS USM
Canon 32mm F2.0
Canon 10-22mm
Extra Battery, charger, and memory cards
Giottos Small Rocker Blower
Blackrapid RS-7 strap attached to the body
Blackrapid Wrist Strap.

The bag was very packed, but it fit everything snugly so I wasn't worried about my lenses banging around against each other.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
bogolisk wrote: is there room for a 10" tablet?
It may fit an iPad Air in the front but definitely not earlier gens, I'd be cautious putting a tablet in the front though.

There is no large zipper access to the main compartment.
Jun 9, 2006
836 posts
85 upvotes
Thornhill
I picked this up last night for my a6000. Fits okay. I have the camera with the kit lens in one slot, gorillapod in one, 70-200mm lens in the last slot. It does move a bit due to how I fit it in, not sure how to deal with it except add a cloth or something to pad the space.

Have any of you tried to put water bottles in the sides? Are mine just tight or does it not seem possible to do so? Even just a 500ml bottle I get from the dollar store won't fit without forcing it in.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7079 upvotes
West GTEH!
Does anyone know if this bag is bigger than the Swiss Gear camera bag it replaced a year ago? (Clearance price was $19.97 for the Swiss bag 1 yr ago)
This bag looks exactly like the Swiss Gear bag.
😎

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)