• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2018 12:48 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 22, 2017
29 posts
46 upvotes

[Costco] Ebike for sale! 48v 500w 13ah - Urban Ryder only $1699

So I've been looking to either build my own Ebike or buy a good cheap one. Problem is good and cheap don't usually go together - especially in the ebike world. The other problem is I am no good at building things. I have been following sales at Bestbuy.ca and looking at Costco for the past few months but nothing really caught my eye until this bike came up. Its a 48 volt, 500w, 12 ah bike. It ticks all the boxes and its only $1,699 - I haven't seen anything that cheap since i started looking and to top it off its from Costco which means the return policy is solid. I have a lot of reviews on it and people seems to love it. Anyone with experience with ebikes have any input on this? I think i'm gonna pick one up but for almost 2 gs after taxes i'd love some feedback before i pull the trigger...
Last edited by rushin4life on Apr 20th, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
99 replies
Jan 11, 2009
947 posts
791 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Could the title be anymore generic?
[OP]
May 22, 2017
29 posts
46 upvotes
remik wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 10:42 pm
Could the title be anymore generic?
Thank you - updated.
Temp. Banned
Apr 13, 2016
747 posts
486 upvotes
Aren't these things hot items to steal? Where would you even park this thing to keep it safe?
[Inappropriate signature]
[OP]
May 22, 2017
29 posts
46 upvotes
snipzy wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 10:51 pm
Aren't these things hot items to steal? Where would you even park this thing to keep it safe?
Just have to get a good lock and depending where you live watch where you park it - i drove my old one to work and we have underground parking for bikes so it wasn't an issue.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7438 posts
3290 upvotes
Toronto
rushin4life wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 10:37 pm
So I've been looking to either build my own Ebike or buy a good cheap one. Problem is good and cheap don't usually go together - especially in the ebike world. The other problem is I am no good at building things. I have been following sales at Bestbuy.ca and looking at Costco for the past few months but nothing really caught my eye until this bike came up. Its a 48 volt, 500w, 12 ah bike. It ticks all the boxes and its only $1,699 - I haven't seen anything that cheap since i started looking and to top it off its from Costco which means the return policy is solid. I have a lot of reviews on it and people seems to love it. Anyone with experience with ebikes have any input on this? I think i'm gonna pick one up but for almost 2 gs after taxes i'd love some feedback before i pull the trigger...
this looks awesome... but you will need a $500 lock to keep it safe.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
2795 posts
1142 upvotes
Manitouwadge, Ontari…
Man I need to lose some weight these have 75km range? Is that assisted with peddling or say flat road with a 150 pound person?
---
Koodo Long Term Customer!
Self Employed: Youtube, Sites, Server Administrator, and more. I enjoy just getting my hands on anything if I can do it from home.
Enjoyments: ATVing, Northern Living, Online Shopping, Being Social Active.
Temp. Banned
Feb 2, 2014
1412 posts
914 upvotes
The 6
Will TTC buses, Viva, and Zum allow me to take this on their buses? What about the subway?

I know you can get fined for using these e-bikes on bike paths on Toronto's Waterfront bike paths which is a real bummer.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2011
1972 posts
1688 upvotes
Calgary
Some DIY and you can get some cheap ebike. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Images
  • ebike 01.jpg
  • ebike 02.jpg
Rule No.1 here: Buy first, Think afterwards.
Temp. Banned
Feb 2, 2014
1412 posts
914 upvotes
The 6
Marphyin wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 11:22 pm
Some DIY and you can get some cheap ebike. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Impressive. How much did that cost you and what are the components?
Feb 26, 2008
325 posts
235 upvotes
Surrey
Personally, I'd spend a bit more and go with Norco or Trek. You'll get a better build overall and components are better. If you're going to invest that amount of money into a bike, do it right the first time. Upgrading parts and thinking oh, this will be ok for now mentality usually ends up more expensive in the long run. Plus, parts are more readily available should components fail. Better yet, just go into a store and sit in one. Problem with these online bikes is you won't know how well it fits until you get onto it.

I know it says it's a 19" bike...great. Put a 19" bike from Norco, Trek, Kona, Devinci, CCM, etc, side by side they are not the same. You'll need some frame dimensions (top tube, stand over height, reach, etc) to determine if that bike will fit you.

Here's an example of some information you need:

https://www.norco.com/bikes/city/urban-e/vlt/vlt-r2/

Hope this info helps you out. Personally, I wouldn't pull the trigger on this one without first sitting in it and riding it. It is Costco so you could return it if it does not fit.
Nov 24, 2012
23 posts
10 upvotes
Victoria
Friend has this bike and I tried it out. After trying and doing much research I purchased this bike instead

http://www.voltbike.ca/voltbike-elegant.html

Have had it for 3 months and over 300 kms so far and the bike is great. It has small additions like rack, good fenders, rear light that the costco bike doesn't have. I see the Costco bike now list the battery manufacture and also the motor which they never did a few months ago. Maybe they have improved the bikes from when I tried them.

Look at the reviews on ebikereview.com for voltbike.

Costco has a great return policy but the customer service from Voltbike was great.
Last edited by klaine99 on Apr 21st, 2018 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1216 posts
535 upvotes
Toronto
I was writing a nasty post about e-bikes before I noticed the ones linked to. These I can wrap my head around. Just don't be the dickhead on the scooter style e-bike that never gets pedalled and cruises along in traffic at 50km/h because it's been hopped up.

The proper bikes with e-assist I can begin to appreciate so long as they're driven as bicycles. I've seen idiots riding e-bikes on Lakeshore. They should be banned on any road where they can't do the limit if there isn't a bike lane.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14837 posts
4199 upvotes
Ebikes are a relatively new market, with quality and prices all over the place, not sure if this one is great value or not but Costco's warranty is probably better then most (though double check before purchase).
The beatings will continue until morale improves