Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Ebike for sale! 48v 500w 13ah - Urban Ryder only $1699

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2020 7:58 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2018 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
nabiul wrote: The speed is probably limited because of ontario laws, look at facebooks post earlier in the thread: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco-e ... #p29245140

Those of you guys who have been using electric vehicles regularly, how are you finding the longevity of the batteries? Lipo based devices like cellphones haven't really given me any issues but it seems to me that Li-ion does not like to be discharged more than like 20-30% at all, have a sonicare toothbrush that I only charge when it's on it's last legs and now it will show empty after a couple of uses.
I have both the Sonicare and a Pedego City Commuter. Haven’t had battery problems with either. The ebike battery is similar to the Costco one. Retains its charge and using pedal assist level 1 (out of 5) results in very little battery use. Never seen that with Sonicare. You should call them. Philips has a really good support system in Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
deezz wrote: FYI guys, for those looking into an electric bike, but are not in a rush to get one, but also want something light and portable, and also want to support a Canadian company, there was a thread here last year for Revelo bikes. The company was started and is run by a bike-enthusiast OCAD designer who won an award for his first electric bike.

I'm specifically posting about the second bike he designed though, called the LIFT, which is a lightweight folding bike that weighs about 10 kg. A few RFD'ers purchased them last year in this thread: revelo-revelo-lift-folding-bike-designe ... o-2102225/

Info about it can be found here: https://www.revelo.ca/pages/lift-folding-bike

It costs $779.

They will be making an electric module for it available this summer, which I'm very excited about. I got to try the prototype last summer, and it will definitely save you from the sweat and shower and change of clothes! It's not on the website yet, but I've been in contact with them about it since last summer. The parts are estimated to arrive this June. I don't know what the price will be like, but I'm guessing anywhere in the $500-$700 range. I don't know what the specs are (wattage and voltage). If it's around $700, that makes it a bit cheaper than this deal, plus you have something much lighter, AND it folds, and you can wheel it very easily while folded so you can take it onto the ttc, into the elevator, and into your office so that you don't have to worry about locking it up and having your valuable bike stolen.

If I were to estimate the weight of the electric module, I'd say it will probably also be in the 10 kg range. So that would put the total weight at around 20 kg, which is 44 lbs. Significantly lighter.

Anyways, didn't mean to derail....just thought I'd provide an alternative here for discussion's sake :)
Thanks for posting this information. If anybody is interested their is a email sign up for information.
Nov 3, 2009
599 posts
273 upvotes
Just a few thoughts:

I have the Urban Ryder's low step version Urban Cruzer. It's a solid, heavy bike but IMO is much better than the Ryder as it doesn't require you to step over the very high crossbar. They both have the same components, which is why I can comfortably give this warning:

This bike does NOT have pedal assist in the traditional manner.

On other e-bikes, if you pedal and have pedal assist enabled there is a percentage of the work done by the motor (say 30%) and the rest is done by you. This bike's controller does not work that way.

Instead, if you set it to a setting (1-5) and pedal, the bike ZOOMs up to that speed using 100% of the motor power (setting 1 is 16km/h). It's like a cruise control where pedaling just keeps it activated. You are adding NO WORK to get it to that speed, just pedaling to keep it alive.

If you want to go above that set speed, you're providing 100% of the work - the battery does nothing, not even provide the amount of effort required to make 16 km/h on setting 1 for instance.

If you want partial help, you must instead use the throttle

In other words: THIS IS NOT A GOOD BIKE FOR A WORKOUT. Possibly great for a bike commute where you don't want to get sweaty, but lousy for getting exercise.

Lemme know if you have any questions -- I've had this bike for a few years now!

Scott
Aug 25, 2011
208 posts
279 upvotes
BURLINGTON
I purchase the sondors https://sondors.com/products/2018-sondo ... 9594283047.
last year for my wife. Assembly was a pain, but the bike is great. It has a variable assist mode that allows you to pedal with a motor boost. As bikes go, it is heavy, but not so heavy that you will only want to use the motor instead of pedaling. She was a serious cyclist until a car accident (not on a bike) and we are hoping that the variable assist will help with her rehab.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
4214 posts
5059 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I just purchased a 2017 RadRover Electric Fat Bike for $1600 + 5% tax. Thanks to this thread and wealth of information, I compared a lot of models and decided to go with that one. I really got fedup with people in the subway/metro in the morning acting as if they were in their living room. Since I'm only 4.4KM from work I'm very excited with the idea of being able to avoid public transport through rush hour when I can while still being able to show up at the office sweat-free. The only real challenge will be how to deal with the rain, there will be some testing for sure.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile and Videotron Fizz customer :-)
Jun 7, 2017
190 posts
81 upvotes
rugman100 wrote: I also have had an IGo metro step thru pedal assist e bike for a year, put 2000km on it.
Also have a Kia Niro hybrid car .
Saving a bundle $$$
Missed the IGO sale. :( that's way better deal than this urban ryder honestly, at least built quality. I rode this urban ryder and it's a solid bike, just not as good as IGO.

Enjoy the bike. it's good one.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
So, the laws in Canada that say ebikes must be capped at 32kmh. Is that for the actual motor or say if you are doing pedal assist or downhil, can the bike reach more speed or do these ebikes have a mechanism that prevents them going any more than 32mph??
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Oct 14, 2015
90 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto,ON
dazz wrote: So, the laws in Canada that say ebikes must be capped at 32kmh. Is that for the actual motor or say if you are doing pedal assist or downhil, can the bike reach more speed or do these ebikes have a mechanism that prevents them going any more than 32mph??
Mine caps at 32kmh but if i pedal hard I can go easily to 45kmh.
May 22, 2017
31 posts
46 upvotes
Motors can go faster - the Urban Ryder had a computer that basically governed the speed of the motor to stop at 32 km/hr; however there were instructions with the computer to increase the maximum speed but of course it tells you in the manual not to do that as the legal limit in Canada is 32. Even with that off the bike only goes up to 35 without pedaling anyway - but yah on a downhill without even having the motor going i can hit 45 no problem.
Banned
Feb 2, 2014
1426 posts
942 upvotes
The 6
dazz wrote: So, the laws in Canada that say ebikes must be capped at 32kmh. Is that for the actual motor or say if you are doing pedal assist or downhil, can the bike reach more speed or do these ebikes have a mechanism that prevents them going any more than 32mph??
Can some of our Asian brethren direct us to the websites in China where we can get motors that go 60 km/h plus? ... I know they exist. Just don't know where!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
4713 posts
6304 upvotes
Prince George
The original deal appears to be dead, but there’s another one coming up. The ebgo Electric Bicycle is $400 off ($1599.99 I guess) from May 14 - May 27. I don’t know if that warrants its own thread.
Jan 31, 2018
574 posts
597 upvotes
Unusable downtown if you intend to leave it unattended, even for a few minutes. You can really only ride with a friend that
will watch the bikes if you pop into a bakery or need to use a restroom.

These are a hot theft item with low-life's toting battery powered angle grinders. It only takes 5 - 10 seconds to cut through most locks.
And if they can't cut the lock, they settle for stripping an unlocked wheel, battery, seat, brakes..
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
4214 posts
5059 upvotes
Montreal, QC
ElroyJetson wrote: Unusable downtown if you intend to leave it unattended, even for a few minutes. You can really only ride with a friend that
will watch the bikes if you pop into a bakery or need to use a restroom.

These are a hot theft item with low-life's toting battery powered angle grinders. It only takes 5 - 10 seconds to cut through most locks.
And if they can't cut the lock, they settle for stripping an unlocked wheel, battery, seat, brakes..
It's always been the case, even when eletric bikes didn't even exist. There are $10K standard bikes out there. It's the same today as it was 20 years ago: you don't leave a very expensive bike unattended on the street. I personally have a second cheaper bike that I only use for errands and would not be traumatized if someone stole it.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile and Videotron Fizz customer :-)
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2008
1034 posts
1076 upvotes
Ottawa
Scott M. wrote: Just a few thoughts:

I have the Urban Ryder's low step version Urban Cruzer. It's a solid, heavy bike but IMO is much better than the Ryder as it doesn't require you to step over the very high crossbar. They both have the same components, which is why I can comfortably give this warning:

This bike does NOT have pedal assist in the traditional manner.

On other e-bikes, if you pedal and have pedal assist enabled there is a percentage of the work done by the motor (say 30%) and the rest is done by you. This bike's controller does not work that way.

Instead, if you set it to a setting (1-5) and pedal, the bike ZOOMs up to that speed using 100% of the motor power (setting 1 is 16km/h). It's like a cruise control where pedaling just keeps it activated. You are adding NO WORK to get it to that speed, just pedaling to keep it alive.

If you want to go above that set speed, you're providing 100% of the work - the battery does nothing, not even provide the amount of effort required to make 16 km/h on setting 1 for instance.

If you want partial help, you must instead use the throttle

In other words: THIS IS NOT A GOOD BIKE FOR A WORKOUT. Possibly great for a bike commute where you don't want to get sweaty, but lousy for getting exercise.

Lemme know if you have any questions -- I've had this bike for a few years now!

Scott
I've had this bike for under a week now and I have to agree that this bike isn't good for a workout. I've had it to and from work (26km round trip) twice now.

First day: Cycled in with the assist set to 5. Didn't work at all. It was like going for a vigorous walk. Didn't sweat at all and was fine at work without having to wipe down or re-apply deodorant. For the ride home, I wanted to see what it was like without the motor. This bike is damn heavy and you really need to work to get any decent speed. I can usually do the ride in just over 30 min on my regular mountain bike. But with the Urban Ryder without the engine turned on, it took over 43 minutes.

Second day: Cycling in and back was a breeze with the engine on. I used it coming home as I was playing squash last night and didn't want to tire myself out. Didn't charge the bike since the first day and the batter was frequently showing 0 charge when under heavy load. Still got up to 1-2 bars once I was on level ground again.

My thoughts so far: This is really a commuter bike and a car replacement. If you are hoping to get any workout from this, you will be disappointed. It's either all or nothing as Scott M. pointed out. I'm really not a fan of kind of "assisted" pedalling. I would have liked for it to offer load levels (i.e. 20%, 40%... 100%) rather than providing engine support up to a certain speed and then cutting off.

I'm on the fence about returning this and going with another ebike that provides a different implementation of the pedal assist. Any recommendations?
Nov 3, 2009
599 posts
273 upvotes
aerohead888 wrote: I'm on the fence about returning this and going with another ebike that provides a different implementation of the pedal assist. Any recommendations?
My take is it depends on your goals. If you're planning on going to and from work, you have a shower available at work or can be otherwise sweaty, and want a workout? Return it.

If a workout seems like a good idea but the logistics of it make it untenable and this is just a commuter bike, then keep it. It's good as a commuter bike.

NOTE: Earlier versions of this bike had an overload problem. The battery fuse case would melt. With them being in Burnaby and me living in Port Moody it wasn't much effort to get them to fix it, but for you in Ottawa that's another concern -- what happens when you want to fix it? Other than the company themselves, do you have a shop that will touch the bike? Our local chain (Cap's Westwood Bikes) won't go near electric bikes they don't sell themselves.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2008
1034 posts
1076 upvotes
Ottawa
Scott M. wrote: My take is it depends on your goals. If you're planning on going to and from work, you have a shower available at work or can be otherwise sweaty, and want a workout? Return it.

If a workout seems like a good idea but the logistics of it make it untenable and this is just a commuter bike, then keep it. It's good as a commuter bike.

NOTE: Earlier versions of this bike had an overload problem. The battery fuse case would melt. With them being in Burnaby and me living in Port Moody it wasn't much effort to get them to fix it, but for you in Ottawa that's another concern -- what happens when you want to fix it? Other than the company themselves, do you have a shop that will touch the bike? Our local chain (Cap's Westwood Bikes) won't go near electric bikes they don't sell themselves.
I don't have a decent shower at work (non locking door and it is always grimy), so I would like to get to work without sweating. However, on the way home, I want a workout. But I don't want to do all of the work with this heavy bike. I would like to reduce the load so that it's like riding a bike 40lbs less. I really don't like that it's an all or nothing setup.

Good points about any future issues as well.
Dec 3, 2009
282 posts
76 upvotes
Burlington
aerohead888 wrote: I don't have a decent shower at work (non locking door and it is always grimy), so I would like to get to work without sweating. However, on the way home, I want a workout. But I don't want to do all of the work with this heavy bike. I would like to reduce the load so that it's like riding a bike 40lbs less. I really don't like that it's an all or nothing setup.

Good points about any future issues as well.
I have a couple year old Igo Metro ti I can set the pedal assist and do the no sweat thing and when I want to work out turn it down.
I do believe that the newer model step tru at Igo has a more refined low speed PAS.
I am male so step tru is not for everyone suits my back and knees lol.
I have milk crate for groceries 3 locks and a long cable.
Bike fell over and damaged brake lever and i couldnt by pass throttle so i had to pedal 11km home from Hamilton ( princess auto deal).
I have parts on order.
I still ride it and the more I do the easier it gets.
I have ridden the OP bike too and the top tube was not suitable for me.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2008
1034 posts
1076 upvotes
Ottawa
rugman100 wrote: I have a couple year old Igo Metro ti I can set the pedal assist and do the no sweat thing and when I want to work out turn it down.
I do believe that the newer model step tru at Igo has a more refined low speed PAS.
I am male so step tru is not for everyone suits my back and knees lol.
I have milk crate for groceries 3 locks and a long cable.
Bike fell over and damaged brake lever and i couldnt by pass throttle so i had to pedal 11km home from Hamilton ( princess auto deal).
I have parts on order.
I still ride it and the more I do the easier it gets.
I have ridden the OP bike too and the top tube was not suitable for me.
Thanks for the feedback. I have resigned myself to keeping the Urban Ryder. You just can't beat the price for this bike. My friend's son works at a Giant showroom and said that what I'm looking for, I would be looking at around 3k.

I'll keep this bike and really treat it as a car replacement. I've used it to commute to work, go to the gym and to go to the store to pick up a few things. One less car on the road, but I'm not doing it to get any exercise. I'm keeping my regular mountain bike and will use it if I want to get in a "real" ride. Took that one over the weekend for the Tour de l'ile de Montreal. It was so nice having such a comparably lighter bike and I realized how much I enjoyed cycling. I'll just have to be a bi-cycler. <pun intended>

The great thing is that this is a Costco purchase and I can always go back if I change my mind.