Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat with 2 Room Sensors $199.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2019 7:42 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19242 posts
17869 upvotes
GTA, ON
zipsync wrote: @jessicacha , we have the ecobee from the government program and decided to buy the sensors separately. Our thermostat was situated in the main floor but there is a vent quite near it but we're venting away from the thermostat. I think that the thermostat detects the temperature coming out of the vent rather than the temperature of the open space. By having the sensor in one of the rooms that generally does not get heated/cooled as well as the other rooms and one in the basement, we get a fairer temperature of what goes on in the house and thereby the thermostat turns on/off less than when we just had the thermostat.
That would be one pretty dumb builder if they put the thermostat above a register. Are you sure that isn't a cold air intake?
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Oct 27, 2016
17 posts
7 upvotes
I asked Enbridge if this is covered under their rebate program and they said no.
Jul 21, 2013
979 posts
661 upvotes
Calgary
Get the regular 4 on sale (which has humidifier support) and get the Alberta rebate. Same price.
Jan 6, 2008
45 posts
21 upvotes
It isn't. So for things like these, the sensors really help and also a register that redirects the flow of air.
Nov 30, 2014
84 posts
117 upvotes
Windsor, ON
jessicacha wrote: Thanks OP I for one am glad you posted this cuz I cannot get this at local Costco in mtl.

For those who have the sensors, what’s your verdict? Is it at all useful?
If I can get the ecobee3 lite for 149 and with sensors for 199 should I get the sensors as well for 50 bucks more or just the thermostat?
I don't need the sensors so where can i get it for $149, please share.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
I received clarification in the HVAC thread on something. If you, like me, have an automatic stat already with a humidifier, something like the Ecobee3 lite is perfect. And in fact, taking the humidity reading from the main return stack will be more reliable/accurate than from the stat on the main level. There is no need to replace these kinds of automatic controls just to be handled by a main stat. You basically set your comfort level and leave and forget.

I'd still get the Ecobee3 lite for the individual room sensors, and I'm not interested in using Alexa.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
7441 posts
4192 upvotes
Moncton, NB
I saw the ecobee 3 @ my local costco and was kind of tempted but we have a heat pump and our current cheapo thermostat will kick on the aux heat when it's below certain degree outside. I was reading on some other thermostat and most of them dont do that (that I can read) but this one seem like it does. when connected to wifi it gets the outdoor tempature and adjust. now this is tempting.. :)

I'm just wondering if it's a good deal at 199$. what are those 2 room sensors? Worth it?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1665 upvotes
If anyone selling the room sensors I'll buy em!
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Jul 11, 2009
853 posts
887 upvotes
Toronto
Zeev20 wrote: I paid approx $100 for the two sensors as I got the Thermostat free when we had the green energy program. For this price well worth picking up like all the features on the Ecobee 3 Lite and its nice to check the temperature in my master bedroom and guest bedroom.
i signed up the GreenON free smart t-stat the day before it was cancelled back in June. in our place, the thermostat is on the top floor which is consistently atleast 2 sometimes 5 degrees warmer in the summer than the lower floor. I only need 1 remote sensor for the entire lower floor so i bought the 2 sensor pack from home depot for $100+tax and sold 1 of them to my coworker for half of the cost. you can set the scheduler to read the remote sensor during specific periods of the day. it is no longer too hot nor too cold when we go to sleep. in our case the remote sensor was totally worth it. the co-worker loves the remote sensor too.
Oct 21, 2013
312 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Does anybody know if this would work in a condo? Checked and I don't have a C-Wire. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2001
1025 posts
298 upvotes
Kitchener/Waterloo
paperplanez wrote: Does anybody know if this would work in a condo? Checked and I don't have a C-Wire. Thanks!
Should be able to buy an adaptor to hook up to the c-wire
Aug 21, 2011
79 posts
60 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
the lite is a lame version. I have my own full version and lite from greenON. The lite seems running the system a lot more frequently and longer. not as good. if the full version is on sale get the full version instead. much better.
Apr 22, 2010
169 posts
99 upvotes
onlineharvest wrote: I received clarification in the HVAC thread on something. If you, like me, have an automatic stat already with a humidifier, something like the Ecobee3 lite is perfect. And in fact, taking the humidity reading from the main return stack will be more reliable/accurate than from the stat on the main level. There is no need to replace these kinds of automatic controls just to be handled by a main stat. You basically set your comfort level and leave and forget.

I'd still get the Ecobee3 lite for the individual room sensors, and I'm not interested in using Alexa.
The humidity reading will be a bit better, but that's not the important bit with a smart thermostat.

The ecobee and the nest have a frost-control feature which is a big deal somewhere cold like ontario, esp with big changes in temperature. As the oustide temperature drops, the ecobee will automatically drop the humidity and avoid causing damaging condensation in the house. You don't have to keep adjusting the humidity manually (which would mean walking downstairs to the control on the furnace).

In my house, manual changes for temperature swings was a huge hassle, which tended to mean we just left the humidifier off or turned way way down, and just lived with static and the issues caused by overly dry air.

Edit: If you have a large basement, and live somewhere fairly humid anyhow, there's a good chance you don't really even need a humidifier. My previous house never really dropped below 40% humidity.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
mrmalten wrote: The humidity reading will be a bit better, but that's not the important bit with a smart thermostat.

The ecobee and the nest have a frost-control feature which is a big deal somewhere cold like ontario, esp with big changes in temperature. As the oustide temperature drops, the ecobee will automatically drop the humidity and avoid causing damaging condensation in the house. You don't have to keep adjusting the humidity manually (which would mean walking downstairs to the control on the furnace).

In my house, manual changes for temperature swings was a huge hassle, which tended to mean we just left the humidifier off or turned way way down, and just lived with static and the issues caused by overly dry air.

Edit: If you have a large basement, and live somewhere fairly humid anyhow, there's a good chance you don't really even need a humidifier. My previous house never really dropped below 40% humidity.
I understand. However, I have an automatic humidifier stat, not a manual. So instead of changing the humidity based on the outdoor temp, I set a desired comfort level (e.g., 5), and it adjusts as needed. I don't need to go downstairs to continually change. I can easily trouble shoot if I need to lower/raise the comfort level as needed, but it's a set and forget kind of setup. Since this is based on the main air return stack in my home as opposed to a weather report, I was told there is no reason to have an ecobee control this element of my HVAC setup.

I do like the smart stat for everything else, which is why for me I'd opt for the lite anyway, since I don't need any of the features of the full fledged option (and don't want to have an Alexa unit in my home).
Oct 21, 2013
312 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Zeev20 wrote: Should be able to buy an adaptor to hook up to the c-wire
They include a PEK with the EcoBee, I'm just wondering where one would connect the other end in the absence of a furnace like in a house!
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
4118 posts
2273 upvotes
Toronto
I'm looking for additional room sensors if anyone trying to sell theirs.
Apr 22, 2010
169 posts
99 upvotes
onlineharvest wrote: I understand. However, I have an automatic humidifier stat, not a manual. So instead of changing the humidity based on the outdoor temp, I set a desired comfort level (e.g., 5), and it adjusts as needed. I don't need to go downstairs to continually change. I can easily trouble shoot if I need to lower/raise the comfort level as needed, but it's a set and forget kind of setup. Since this is based on the main air return stack in my home as opposed to a weather report, I was told there is no reason to have an ecobee control this element of my HVAC setup.

I do like the smart stat for everything else, which is why for me I'd opt for the lite anyway, since I don't need any of the features of the full fledged option (and don't want to have an Alexa unit in my home).
If you've got a "comfort level" setting instead of percentage, you've got a smart humidistat, and I'd guess it's getting outside temp info somehow. Otherwise, you'd run into the standard issues. Comfort settings are adjusted off outside temperature, as far as I know. You're also right, no need for the extra ecobee features, I didn't understand what you were saying.

https://customer.honeywell.com/en-US/Pa ... th=1.2.9.5

Caveat: I don't know how common the smart humidistat is. I don't know anyone else with one. Also, many people don't actually even need to use a humidifier, or would never wire it in, and would be wasting money for a non-lite ecobee. The Ecobee lite does *everything* the non-lite version does except accessories, I believe.

That said, I didn't have a smart humidistat, and I really loved the frost control feature. It was awesome and completely solved an issue in my home. I also liked being able to adjust the humidity from my phone when I wanted it a bit higher at night for awhile (sick kids), and being able to check how much the humidifier had been used. I got lucky that there was an extra wire at the thermostat, so I could easily add the humidifier. In my house, with my furnace and some crappy insulation, I was very glad I got it.

The sensor was also great.
Dec 18, 2016
39 posts
13 upvotes
For all those posting about the Alberta Energy rebate, Costco is not listed as an eligible retailer, so you won’t get the rebate.
Jun 5, 2011
60 posts
34 upvotes
Also looking for 1 room sensor to buy, I have 2 but need one more and no where sells singles

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)