Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

EDM-Samsung® UN65KU6290 65-in. Smart 4K UHD LED TV - $1289 - Instore

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2017 5:18 pm
69 replies
Jun 20, 2009
977 posts
1202 upvotes
edmonton
Was this at the 91st st Costco? How many did they have? I saw a bunch in clairview. So tempting!
Jul 19, 2005
150 posts
63 upvotes
can confirm same price at South Mississauga store, others pointed out the same at Ajax in the Source thread
Jan 13, 2014
22 posts
15 upvotes
Edmonton
dalaw wrote: Was this at the 91st st Costco? How many did they have? I saw a bunch in clairview. So tempting!
Yes @ 91 ST Costco. Around 5 on floor.
Jun 20, 2009
977 posts
1202 upvotes
edmonton
Thanks OP. This seems like a great deal. Gonna try to pick it up Tuesday.
Aug 30, 2007
199 posts
40 upvotes
I picked one up to replace my 11 yr old Panny plasma...
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1476 posts
1407 upvotes
Montreal
How would this compare to the $750 Costco Haier? I've read with the right (non-yellow-y) panel and some calibration it can look as good as TVs in this price range, but it doesn't have the HDR feature. On the other hand, I've read this Samsung's HDR isn't that great, and in any case it will be years before most content supports HDR.

I'll mainly be using it as a computer output with a soundbar so the remote control and sound quality aren't that important.

Thanks!
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21213 posts
6983 upvotes
GTA
davidm wrote: How would this compare to the $750 Costco Haier? I've read with the right (non-yellow-y) panel and some calibration it can look as good as TVs in this price range, but it doesn't have the HDR feature. On the other hand, I've read this Samsung's HDR isn't that great, and in any case it will be years before most content supports HDR.

I'll mainly be using it as a computer output with a soundbar so the remote control and sound quality aren't that important.

Thanks!
While the panel doesnt reach HDR10 standards, the panel quality should be better then the Haier. Still this is an enticing price for a decently reviewed TV (check 4k.com and rtings.com). Still 35% more expensive, but you're probably not going to get anything better at 65" 4k right now.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1476 posts
1407 upvotes
Montreal
coriolis wrote: While the panel doesnt reach HDR10 standards, the panel quality should be better then the Haier. Still this is an enticing price for a decently reviewed TV (check 4k.com and rtings.com). Still 35% more expensive, but you're probably not going to get anything better at 65" 4k right now.
I wouldn't really say the rtings.com review is that good.
The 4k Samsung KU6300 Series UHD LED TV doesn't have a stellar picture quality but is good enough for most content. It supports an HDR input, but it doesn't have the capabilities to display a more colorful picture. It also suffers from bad reflections and constant judder on movies. When watched from the side, its picture quality also diminishes.
It's much more than 35% more expensive, with the difference in extended warranty it's around $600. I don't like to treat these items as disposable, but I'd like to switch to OLED in a few years so this will be transitory (actual black and contrast levels are very important, probably more so than 4k day to day). I wish I could find a review that compared these sets using the same media. Unfortunately rtings.com won't review it because it's not sold on Amazon, and I suppose the fact they keep switching panels for the Haier would make it almost pointless.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21213 posts
6983 upvotes
GTA
davidm wrote: I wouldn't really say the rtings.com review is that good.
It's much more than 35% more expensive, with the difference in extended warranty it's around $600. I don't like to treat these items as disposable, but I'd like to switch to OLED in a few years so this will be transitory (actual black and contrast levels are very important, probably more so than 4k day to day). I wish I could find a review that compared these sets using the same media. Unfortunately rtings.com won't review it because it's not sold on Amazon, and I suppose the fact they keep switching panels for the Haier would make it almost pointless.
Indeed it's not that great, but we are comparing this to the low end TVs that lack reviews outside from owners that kept or returned it. So the reviews are biased and can vary. While such sites may not be the best place to look, it gives a fair overview of the TV's score. At least you will know what to expect, not everyone wants to play the panel lottery game.

2016 TVs should be clearing out soon, maybe we will see better deals, 2017 TVs should be coming out by March April.
Apr 2, 2008
19 posts
8 upvotes
Montreal
I returned the 65" Haier I purchased from Costco and bought this instead. I found the light bleed / clouding issue on the Haier was very noticeable in dark scenes and really made the TV unenjoyable. I thought about getting another Haier as I have read that this problem is not present on every set but I didn't want to waste any more time setting up and returning TV's.

With the extended warranty and tax the Samsung came out to almost $700 more. I still find it worth it as the Samsung has almost no light bleed / clouding issue (you really have to look for it) and it is not generally noticeable with when watching content. This TV is so much more refined - it turns on instantly, has many more adjustments and of course all the smart TV stuff. I really appreciate the added adjustments, especially the audio delay setting. I could not get the Haier to sync voices properly with my sound bar but could with this unit. I also notice that dark scenes have much better detail as well.

I disabled "Auto Motion Plus" as the "soap opera" effect was annoying in movies and older TV shows.
4K content is really nice but I will miss my LG plasma (that failed) as it had a better quality picture on HD and lower resolutions than either set with very few adjustments needed. I am looking to replace this in a few years with an OLED model when they are hopefully much better priced.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
Is the extended warranty really required.. you already get 2 years when you buy from Costco. And by then oled should be easily available ??
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3583 posts
2275 upvotes
Mississauga
TLSRULZ wrote: Is the extended warranty really required.. you already get 2 years when you buy from Costco. And by then oled should be easily available ??
if you wish to spend $1300 for 2 years and then opt for OLED, then bypass the warranty
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm leaning towards the RCA as I don't need the smart stuff..
Apr 2, 2008
19 posts
8 upvotes
Montreal
mau_mau wrote: if you wish to spend $1300 for 2 years and then opt for OLED, then bypass the warranty
I was thinking the same thing but I figure $100 for 5 years peace of mind is worth it. Also might be able to get some of that back when selling it in a few years.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1476 posts
1407 upvotes
Montreal
nojlg wrote: I returned the 65" Haier I purchased from Costco and bought this instead. I found the light bleed / clouding issue on the Haier was very noticeable in dark scenes and really made the TV unenjoyable. I thought about getting another Haier as I have read that this problem is not present on every set but I didn't want to waste any more time setting up and returning TV's.

With the extended warranty and tax the Samsung came out to almost $700 more. I still find it worth it as the Samsung has almost no light bleed / clouding issue (you really have to look for it) and it is not generally noticeable with when watching content. This TV is so much more refined - it turns on instantly, has many more adjustments and of course all the smart TV stuff. I really appreciate the added adjustments, especially the audio delay setting. I could not get the Haier to sync voices properly with my sound bar but could with this unit. I also notice that dark scenes have much better detail as well.

I disabled "Auto Motion Plus" as the "soap opera" effect was annoying in movies and older TV shows.
4K content is really nice but I will miss my LG plasma (that failed) as it had a better quality picture on HD and lower resolutions than either set with very few adjustments needed. I am looking to replace this in a few years with an OLED model when they are hopefully much better priced.
Thanks for this really useful comparison. Maybe your Haier had an IPS panel since they have clouding (glow) issues? It would have a wider viewing angle though, the Samsung is not great for viewing angle.

My set is going to be "up north" so will mostly see weekend use. I am quite fussy about imperfections, but we're still talking LED and I like to watch with the lights down (grey, uneven screen) . Something will bug me.

Extended warranty seems worth it. I'm not going to put it in the trash when I upgrade, I'll give it to someone or sell it. And the extended warranty is a lot less expensive for the Haier.

Gaming is not important to me either, so I may still try the Haier to pocket the $700 for a future OLED purchase.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1072 posts
341 upvotes
Montreal
I bought this TV beginning of January, think I could get the difference of what I paid?
Apr 16, 2012
558 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
The difference between this and an actual Ultra HD Premium certified TV is huge. You won't get wide color gamut or significant peak brightness on this set.

I purchased the Samsung KS8000 for a very good price from the US in December. You should be able to find good deals on that TV in Canada in the coming months.