Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

EDM-Samsung® UN65KU6290 65-in. Smart 4K UHD LED TV - $1289 - Instore

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2017 5:18 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2015
1595 posts
1210 upvotes
Nanaimo
MeasureTheory wrote: The difference between this and an actual Ultra HD Premium certified TV is huge. You won't get wide color gamut or significant peak brightness on this set.

I purchased the Samsung KS8000 for a very good price from the US in December. You should be able to find good deals on that TV in Canada in the coming months.
The KS8000 65" is on clearance now for $1999 CND. That's $600+tax more expensive +higher warranty cost if you want that. It is worth it, but it's 50% more cost so it's a different category than this.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
4520 posts
3685 upvotes
Ottawa
S0lidus wrote: The KS8000 65" is on clearance now for $1999 CND. That's $600+tax more expensive +higher warranty cost if you want that. It is worth it, but it's 50% more cost so it's a different category than this.
Where is this $1999 k8000 you refer to?
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2015
1595 posts
1210 upvotes
Nanaimo
fogetmylogin wrote: Where is this $1999 k8000 you refer to?
There's a thread in the hot deal forum.
Nov 18, 2015
120 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto, ON
MeasureTheory wrote: The difference between this and an actual Ultra HD Premium certified TV is huge.
Going to stop you right there lol. "Ultra HD Premium certified?" Might be best not to give advise if your using terms like that for your argument.

If you think you can tell a "huge" difference between this and a KS8000 then u deserve to waste your money.

I bet you were an early adopter of 3D TV's with your sales terms.
Apr 16, 2012
558 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
F0URTWENTY wrote: Going to stop you right there lol. "Ultra HD Premium certified?" Might be best not to give advise if your using terms like that for your argument.

If you think you can tell a "huge" difference between this and a KS8000 then u deserve to waste your money.

I bet you were an early adopter of 3D TV's with your sales terms.
You purchased a clearly inferior TV and are desperately supporting it. I can understand that. However, of course there are quantifiable and noticeable differences between a certified TV and one that isn't.

Ultra HD certification simply means that a TV can reach a peak brightness of at least 1000 nits, has a wide color gamut (the TV has to have the BT.2020 color space and produce more than 90% of DCI P3) and a 10 bit panel. These are essential to a feature that's as important as the higher resolution - HDR. Without meeting all of these requirements, there's no point of even having an HDR display, because you're not going to see any of the benefits.

The 6290 falls well short of most of these requirements, and it's easily noticeable if you place these two TVs side by side.

I didn't own a 3D TV until a couple of years ago and was never a big fan. Nice try though.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6989 upvotes
GTA
The best analogy I've heard about HDR is comparing it to Vehicles. Both TVs can play content perfectly fine, but the extra money you pay for the mechanical parts will utilize the premium content.

Car - TV
Gas - Video Content
Peak Brightness, Colour gamut/10-bit panel, full array local dimming, etc. - Engine and drivetrain

You get what you pay for, TVs are no exception. Both TVs are fine for what they do, but not everyone cares about the HDR, or even have access to it.
May 8, 2003
21 posts
1 upvote
theosis wrote: I bought this TV beginning of January, think I could get the difference of what I paid?
Yes, I bought mine the day before Black Friday and got the adjustment this afternoon
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
2611 posts
2204 upvotes
Canada
theosis wrote: I bought this TV beginning of January, think I could get the difference of what I paid?
Mr. VTEC wrote: Yes, I bought mine the day before Black Friday and got the adjustment this afternoon
This is extremely YMMV, policy is only 30 days... many people were turned away when the P65 went on sale.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
2611 posts
2204 upvotes
Canada
F0URTWENTY wrote: There is a big difference in quality between a Samsung tv and a low quality like RCA/Haier. Not just the smart stuff/instant on. One major feature is the 28ms latency in gaming mode.

Picked one of these up a few days ago. Upgraded from Insignia 50' and there is really no comparison.

This TV looks great in UHD color from my gtx 1080. MadVR upscales 720p to look better than 1080p sources on 1080p res even I think. And 4k gaming with UHD color and 28ms latency is on another level.
The Haier was tested at 27ms of which the majority of those sets are using Samsung panel's... in your words you may not want to give "advise" lol
Last edited by jbone14 on Feb 21st, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 16, 2012
558 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
F0URTWENTY wrote: You can list specs and sales terms all you want but if you think you can eyeball a huge difference between these 2 displays side by side then keep throwing away money like you did on your 3D TV.

Can you guess how I knew you bought a 3D TV?
It's an enormous difference. That's a fact, and no amount of crying from you will change it. Don't worry, one day you'll be able to purchase a real TV, little guy. Keep chipping away at it and you'll get there someday!

BTW - I purchased the KS8000 for less than $1289 CAD from B&H in the US. So much for the deal on this laughable TV.

LOL @ you
Apr 16, 2012
558 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
F0URTWENTY wrote: There is a big difference in quality between a Samsung tv and a low quality like RCA/Haier. Not just the smart stuff/instant on. One major feature is the 28ms latency in gaming mode.

Picked one of these up a few days ago. Upgraded from Insignia 50' and there is really no comparison.

This TV looks great in UHD color from my gtx 1080. MadVR upscales 720p to look better than 1080p sources on 1080p res even I think. And 4k gaming with UHD color and 28ms latency is on another level.
You keep talking about "UHD color" when your sh!t TV has a color gamut similar to a 1080p SDR TV. Also, it can barely get any brighter than an SDR TV. LOL!

What's the point of owning an HDR TV if you're going to settle for such peasantry? You got ripped off, kiddo.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2006
1464 posts
1517 upvotes
Is there a major difference between SUHD and UHD?

This seems like a decent deal. Been looking at SUHD at Best Buy as well but they are substantially more expensive.
-
Apr 16, 2012
558 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
LDN2012 wrote: Is there a major difference between SUHD and UHD?

This seems like a decent deal. Been looking at SUHD at Best Buy as well but they are substantially more expensive.
Of course there is.

This TV reaches a peak brightness of about 400 nits, while the SUHDs reach nearly 1500 nits. That's huge for HDR. Also, this TV doesn't have a wide color gamut, while the SUHDs do. The 6290 has poor gray uniformity and poor black levels. It doesn't handle motion very well either.

Check B&H Photo. They ship to Canada and they have good deals on the KS8000. Not sure if the deals are still as good as they were back in November, but they should be better than what you'll find in Canada.
Aug 5, 2013
139 posts
102 upvotes
Better yet check consumer report ratings. Both tvs do well. Normal people should be happy with either. If paying more is worth the difference good on ya. I'd rather save my money for an oled set in a few years
Apr 16, 2012
558 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
cebowler wrote: Better yet check consumer report ratings. Both tvs do well. Normal people should be happy with either. If paying more is worth the difference good on ya. I'd rather save my money for an oled set in a few years
KS8000 gets considerably higher ratings in literally every single professional review, and you can find it for a relatively low price in the US.
Feb 11, 2017
12 posts
20 upvotes
I just bought mine at the Beacon Hill location in Calgary for $1364.98 w/Tax.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
695 posts
958 upvotes
Chilliwack, BC
I have the baby brother 40' of this set, bought it on Black Friday and cannot stress enough how poor the QC is on these sets are, less than a week into it I was getting a green checkerboard pattern at warm up. I thought it was my video card but it is doing it on other inputs as well. Furthermore the picture settings for picture viewing go back to default intermittently, also using this as a computer monitor has it's own set of faults as well. The mouse cursor goes beyond the right hand side of the screen too far. I also thought this was a 10-bit panel which it is not. I should have learnt my lesson with the Samsung plasma I had and the two flickering cells. I probably won't buy another Samsung product, their supposed customer service is a joke as well and will use any excuse they can to avoid assisting you, they promised a callback that mysteriously never happened, but I digress... just take this as a cautionary tale about Samsung products, besides you deserve better.
Aug 5, 2013
139 posts
102 upvotes
You lose the warranty. 3rd party warranty + tax + shipping for the 55inch ks8000 came out to $1600 cad during the superbowl promo 55 inch samsung at costco at the time was $888 + tax. Yes the ks8000 is better but it wasn't 60% better for me. The $600 in my pocket goes a lot further on an oled set 2-3yrs from now.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1562 posts
541 upvotes
Vaughan
thanks op! was looking at buying this TV this weekend. Canada computers had the tv for 1499 plus a soundbar that I don't think I needed. I will make measurements and hopefully this tv will fit on my basement wall. can someone confirm if all GTA stores have this price or only selected ones? I live in Vaughan and hoping if someone can confirm if they have this price
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3341 posts
2076 upvotes
Anyone try this with a PS4 Pro?

My 49 inch vizio tvs won't play nice and keep causing frame skips so I can't use 4k mode :(

I will be moving to a new house where I will have room for 2x65inch side by side. Current house 49inch was the max.

So if these work for PS4 Pro I may be interested. Since I need 2 identical tvs, the best value I can get in a 4k display with HDR the better!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)