Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Galaxy S8 $288 on contract, receive $400-450 Costco Cash card

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2017 9:41 pm
Nov 18, 2015
557 posts
353 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Did anyone find out the cancellation fee from Bell/Rogers?
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2006
1078 posts
232 upvotes
Edmonton
No cancellation fee - you just pay back any subsidy on the phone. So in this case you pay $288 up front and then the difference ($1035-288 = $750ish) when you cancel. But you keep the $450 cash card, so net cost is $1035 less $450 (plus some misc charges). Call it $600ish on Rogers
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
1007 posts
141 upvotes
Markham
seifer333 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 3:28 pm
does anyone know the if the phones are still locked? I know they will be unlocked soon, but I hear somewhere some phones are already unlocked if you purchase new
Some phones comes unlocked and get locked to the first sim/carrier you use it with.

I got a Koodo plan Moto with Walmart cash card a month back.if I cancel before 90 days, I don't have to pay the Walmart card back?
-------
Thank you
Nov 18, 2015
557 posts
353 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Carbo wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 3:34 pm
No cancellation fee - you just pay back any subsidy on the phone. So in this case you pay $288 up front and then the difference ($1035-288 = $750ish) when you cancel. But you keep the $450 cash card, so net cost is $1035 less $450 (plus some misc charges). Call it $600ish on Rogers
Thanks, I haven't got a new phone for a long time... :D
I have a ridiculous good plan so I don't want to change it... ty
May 3, 2011
53 posts
2 upvotes
pipe77 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 3:29 pm
if you select your province, then go to the phone's page and expand the offers from each carrier, it'll tell you the cash card amount.
Thanks!
Aww, it's only $50 for the note 8
Oct 16, 2007
983 posts
240 upvotes
Too bad the S8+ only has a $50 gift card.
- Insert Soemthing here so you will be able to recoginze me.
Sep 28, 2004
852 posts
66 upvotes
Do they still do the funny accounting where the upfront cost isn't deducted from the device balance?

I bought a Moto G (Virgin) previously for $20 with $150 Costco gift card. The phone was worth $150. When cancelling I discovered that the device balance was $150 and not $130 like you would expect from paying $20 upfront. You do of course save from paying cash out of pocket because of the gift cards but it still was a bit surprising to me.
May 22, 2017
1 posts
Hi I actually have a phone line with Virgin with a $50.00 dollar plan. I would need to know the following:
If I were to opt for the Samsung S8 with new activation in order to get the $400 cash card, how do I keep the phone number I already have? What will be the cost and how will I do that? Next, what is the least pricey plan I can get with either Rogers or Bell? Last question, is the transaction done online or in a Costco outlet?
Feb 21, 2011
14 posts
12 upvotes
Canada
This deal requires either a subscription to Roger or Bell plan for 2 years.

- For Rogers, it requires a Premium + Tab on a Share Everything Plan. The cheapest one with unlimited calling is $125 per month for 6 GB of data. That is extremely expensive, when Koodo and Virgin are offering similar plan on bring your own phone for around $50 per month. Am I missing something?

- For Bell, it requires a Premium Smartphone Plus plan. A similar plan (unlimited voice, 6GB data) is $95 per month. Also extremely expensive.

Am I missing something? This doesn't seem like a deal unless the plans are cheaper or there are some kind of promos on these plans.
Mar 28, 2016
183 posts
38 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta, Ca…
nikotine30 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 5:31 pm
Am I missing something? This doesn't seem like a deal unless the plans are cheaper or there are some kind of promos on these plans.
Most people into this kind of a deal aim to buy and cancel the contract right away. The upside is the $450 gift card and you get the phone from legitimate source with warranty.
Oct 4, 2008
673 posts
87 upvotes
Anyone knows if LG phones are having good promos ? I want either G5 or G6. And how certain are we about no possibility of clawbacks ?
It seems that was the only thing that allowed Koodo to give you a flahship of yesteryear. Now if they can't charge promotions back those might be gone ? I would like to get a G5 for $0 if possible.
Jun 8, 2008
479 posts
77 upvotes
I had done a public calculation of their Rogers iPhone 8 64gb promotion, with a tradein and initial deposit of $99 down. The difference was stark came out far ahead without trading in a iPhone 7 plus with highest memory (their trade value was so low), the higher cost for the plan combined with the crappy trade in amounted to over a $1000 difference vs buying iPhone 8 64 outright and going with Public Mobile plan ($40, 4gb, unlimited province wide, unlimited vm,mms, sms,)... Rogers censored the posting and acted all surprised, no apology, nothing. These deals may seem awesome but do the math it really doesn't make sense in some circumstances. With this deal it's close because the premium plan for 2 years as compared to Public Mobile's offering is nearly a $720*(1.13)=813.6 difference. So take that 450-287=$163 is the initial gain but that is eroded away by the 5th month, because the premium plus+ with Rogers is approximately $30 dollars more and I'm nearly certain that Bell's is about same. So moral of the story is, if you don't have the initial funds and still want it, go for it. But, if you can hold off and purchase outright, you come out far ahead, if you also pair with Public Mobile's plan. There is no coverage issue with Public Mobile as there is with Freedom...
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17679 posts
190 upvotes
YVR
seifer333 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 3:28 pm
does anyone know the if the phones are still locked? I know they will be unlocked soon, but I hear somewhere some phones are already unlocked if you purchase new
I would like to know too. I don't want to pay any unlock fees.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17679 posts
190 upvotes
YVR
So what's the cheapest way of doing this in BC? Sign up with Rogers or Bell at Costco and then cancel the next day?