Hot Deals

[Costco] Garmin fēnix 3 HR Sapphire Titanium Smartwatch with DLC Titanium Band $439.99 (Price update)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2017 11:06 am
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
1930 posts
310 upvotes
Alister wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 10:21 pm
It is Sapphire edition, you will see it once you see the product
Hmmm. Looking at the model # doesn't show up as sapphire in the product listing headings at various sites. It does however show as sapphire on the Garmin page when you click on specs.

Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
5069 posts
748 upvotes
GVR
jrees wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 10:32 pm
Hmmm. Looking at the model # doesn't show up as sapphire in the product listing headings at various sites. It does however show as sapphire on the Garmin page when you click on specs.

Thanks.
Yup. It's a Sapphire edition with the titanium band.

Mine, 010-01338-70: https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/54548 ... 0-01338-70#
Yours (this), is on the same page, different item from the dropdown list. It has to be a Sapphire edition as well (plus, as you mentioned, it's stated in the specs).

Good choice, man.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
1930 posts
310 upvotes
FYI, the online price is now showing $439.99 instead of $469.99. Even sweeter deal now.
Jan 6, 2008
297 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
najibs wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 9:59 pm
So why would someone pick this over an Apple Watch? Serious question, as I'm familiar with Apple Watch but not this. Thx
Fair question since I don’t see anything that Apple Watch won’t do plus so much more. The Nike edition of the Apple Watch is also designed for active people and costs $429 (the 38 mm one). I would definitely stick with the AW.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3187 posts
242 upvotes
Ottawa
cacamaca wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 6:13 pm
Fair question since I don’t see anything that Apple Watch won’t do plus so much more. The Nike edition of the Apple Watch is also designed for active people and costs $429 (the 38 mm one). I would definitely stick with the AW.
As a sport watch, the Garmin does way more than the Apple currently does but it might be the sort of thing that the casual athlete doesn't value. The Garmin's running metrics alone are staggering (no pun intended). I run with (using my Fenix 3) with friends using their AW and their data is decent but it's nowhere near as detailed or as useful for training / performance improvement as the Garmin is. With a Garmin Run HR strap, the Fenix 3 is unparalleled by anything Apple has.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2003
1344 posts
93 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
But this watch is just so massive. I was thinking of using it as a daily driver but at 51mm, it's just too much
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
5069 posts
748 upvotes
GVR
ChiGGz wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 6:45 pm
But this watch is just so massive. I was thinking of using it as a daily driver but at 51mm, it's just too much
I think it's something you get used to over time. For me, I've always been a G-Shock (e.g. GA-1000, GST-S110D) user/wearer...and I was thinking the same thing, like, isn't this going to be really big on me (5ft6...average Asian build...whatever that is really)?! Only really took me about 2-3 days to visually get used to it. (And I wear the watch for me, not for other people...so there's that)
Jan 6, 2008
297 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
CaptSmethwick wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 6:34 pm
As a sport watch, the Garmin does way more than the Apple currently does but it might be the sort of thing that the casual athlete doesn't value. The Garmin's running metrics alone are staggering (no pun intended). I run with (using my Fenix 3) with friends using their AW and their data is decent but it's nowhere near as detailed or as useful for training / performance improvement as the Garmin is. With a Garmin Run HR strap, the Fenix 3 is unparalleled by anything Apple has.
I see what you mean. I am not familiar with Garmin's flexibility and room for growth, however, I expect the AW to improve significantly through software (including 3rd party) and iOS upgrades. Not only from athlete perspective but also health (e.g. EKGs, etc.) and other areas. The multitude of other usages may also be a selling point for AW (home automation, social communication, payments, devices integration, voice command, etc.). Maybe it's just a matter of time or maybe Garmin will keep that step ahead of Apple from athlete area perspective. I guess we'll see how that goes. In any case, I personally find the AW a very attractive option given the similar price and for the reasons mentioned above.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2007
1135 posts
155 upvotes
GVRD
cacamaca wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 6:13 pm
I run and a lot and I love my Garmin. I can jump in the water mid run or cycle and leave the watch on as its rated to 100m. I would be concerned that the AW would break just with the amount that I sweat on my longer 20km+ runs.

I wear the Nylon Watch Straps when I run, much better than the silicone and metal for activities.

http://www.gpscentral.ca/accessories/ny ... traps.html
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3187 posts
242 upvotes
Ottawa
cacamaca wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:40 pm
I see what you mean. I am not familiar with Garmin's flexibility and room for growth, however, I expect the AW to improve significantly through software (including 3rd party) and iOS upgrades. Not only from athlete perspective but also health (e.g. EKGs, etc.) and other areas. The multitude of other usages may also be a selling point for AW (home automation, social communication, payments, devices integration, voice command, etc.). Maybe it's just a matter of time or maybe Garmin will keep that step ahead of Apple from athlete area perspective. I guess we'll see how that goes. In any case, I personally find the AW a very attractive option given the similar price and for the reasons mentioned above.
Totally get it. In my mind, if you're not a pretty active athlete, you have no real reason to buy a Fenix 3 (or 5). Here's a screen shot of some of the data I get from my Fenix 3 using a recent 10k I ran (you can see from the spikes on the pace chart where the water stations are. Note to self: bring a water bottle next time). Vertical oscillation and ground contact time on this chart tell me that my form is pretty close to ideal and that future time gains will come from VO2max and strength work.

Apple just doesn't have the sensors to do this yet - they may get there but triathletes and marathoners aren't yet their market. For now, Garmin's package is pretty well at the top of the market.

Nov 19, 2009
397 posts
82 upvotes
Windsor
chenwaa123 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:10 pm
I wear the Nylon Watch Straps when I run, much better than the silicone and metal for activities.

http://www.gpscentral.ca/accessories/ny ... traps.html
Look at http://cheapestnatostraps.com - MUCH cheaper and huge selection. I've ordered a whole whack of straps from them and have been pleased. They have both the NATO straps like the Garmin ones as well as normal 2-piece bands. If you only look at 26mm bands (the correct size for the Fenix 3), there's maybe a dozen different styles, but I think anything down to something like 20mm would work as well - in which case there's almost too many styles to choose from. Anyway, I'd really recommend them to anybody in the market for some.

If anybody is looking for a Titanium band, I'd sell mine for a reasonable amount. (I have 2, but I'm hanging onto one. I much prefer these NATO straps and wear them almost exclusively... that said, the titanium band is really nice)
Feb 2, 2017
72 posts
39 upvotes
jrees wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 6:05 pm
FYI, the online price is now showing $439.99 instead of $469.99. Even sweeter deal now.
EDIT: whoops I came here to say this. Costco just automatically refunded me $30 and emailed me about it. That's some high quality service.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
1930 posts
310 upvotes
Yeah, got my email too. I hope it ships soon.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
5069 posts
748 upvotes
GVR
Does anyone know if this is available in-store? I'm guessing it will be store dependent as well even if it is available, right?