Hot Deals

[Costco] Garmin Nuvi 58LMT GPS with Lifetime Map Updates & Lifetime Traffic Updates, $99.97

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2017 1:11 am
[OP]
Dec 11, 2003
680 posts
704 upvotes
Ottawa

[Costco] Garmin Nuvi 58LMT GPS with Lifetime Map Updates & Lifetime Traffic Updates, $99.97

Garmin Nuvi 58LMT GPS with Lifetime Map Updates & Lifetime Traffic Updates
SKU: 861058
Price: $99.97

Picture was taken at Costco Barrhaven

Specifications and reviews can be found at: https://www.amazon.ca/Garmin-58Lmt-5-In ... B00RVGZJ8E

38 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2012
1091 posts
168 upvotes
Thanks OP, any GTA location available?
Simple is the best.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
5967 posts
1248 upvotes
Oakville/Toronto
Oh cool, might pick one up for trips in the US for my father.
Nov 2, 2014
1 posts
Victoria, BC
Variability wrote:
May 18th, 2017 10:49 pm
Oh cool, might pick one up for trips in the US for my father.
Anybody sees it in the west coast?
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3183 posts
62 upvotes
Can anyone who has this GPS comment on the live traffic aspect? Does it work like Google Maps, routing with the least traffic (fastest timings), etc? I'd love to get one and stop using the data on my smartphone
Dec 6, 2008
189 posts
34 upvotes
tigger03 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:06 am
Can anyone who has this GPS comment on the live traffic aspect? Does it work like Google Maps, routing with the least traffic (fastest timings), etc? I'd love to get one and stop using the data on my smartphone
I've used it in the US an the live traffic works just like google maps. I don't think you can get that in Canada (I have enough data so have never tried traffic here). The only drawback with Garmins is that they keep discontinuing their models (there are so many ??LMTs out there). Once discontinued, free map updates are a hit and miss i.e may or may not work.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14495 posts
1386 upvotes
Oshawa
Eh, I can still get map updates for my 1490lmt that I got in 2011. It's just that Garmin FM traffic isn't that good by comparison.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
1048 posts
184 upvotes
GTA
JAC wrote:
May 19th, 2017 6:50 am
...... It's just that Garmin FM traffic isn't that good by comparison.
+1

If you have enough data, use your smartphone and it is better IMHO
- - - - -
DragOnT = Dragon in Ontario, gTa (GTA)
Nov 26, 2015
386 posts
174 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
DragOnT wrote:
May 19th, 2017 8:52 am
+1

If you have enough data, use your smartphone and it is better IMHO
I have been using my phone the whole time as a gps. For the most part it is enough however I still prefer a dedicated gps.

1. Not cellular service dependant. Example cross border shopping. Cross the border, lose data connection (roaming does not count as it cost extra)

2. Extra built in program in the garmin gps was actually pretty nice. Example. Keep left 2 lanes at next exit. Half the screen displays all the lanes of the highway and arrows indicate where you want to be. Also now it shows gas and food stops right along the map path.

3. Preserve phone battery. Mounting to the dash exposes the phone to more heat. Gps usually runs somewhat hot. Combine with the sun equals super quick battery drain.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2004
1695 posts
228 upvotes
Nepean
itemsale2003 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:47 am
I've used it in the US an the live traffic works just like google maps. I don't think you can get that in Canada (I have enough data so have never tried traffic here). The only drawback with Garmins is that they keep discontinuing their models (there are so many ??LMTs out there). Once discontinued, free map updates are a hit and miss i.e may or may not work.
I haven't had any issues getting map updates with my Garmin Nuvi 1490LMT and it's about 6 years old. I would be very surprised if they offered lifetime maps and then didn't honour it.

Garmin Traffic is available in Canada. from http://www8.garmin.com/automotive/nulin ... erage.html

Canada •Calgary, AB, CANADA
•Edmonton, AB, CANADA
•Hamilton-Burlington, ON, CANADA
•Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo, ON, CANADA
•London, ON, CANADA
•Montreal-Laval, QC, CANADA
•Oshawa-Whitby-Clarington, ON, CANADA
•Ottawa-Gatineau, ON-QC, CANADA
•Quebec City, QC, CANADA
•St. Catharines-Niagara Falls-Welland, ON, CANADA
•Toronto-Mississauga, ON, CANADA
•Vancouver-Surrey-Burnaby, BC, CANADA
•Windsor-Tecumseh-LaSalle-Lakeshore, ON, CANADA
Wrocky
Jul 3, 2006
133 posts
14 upvotes
I used this one in California, USA. Most of the times it worked fine, there were few issues if you can ignore:
1> Few times it gave exit directions (from highway) in less than 1 mile. During rush hours on Calif highway, it was hard to change to the exit lanes if you happened to be in the left lanes
2> When there were small roads in parallel and close to the highway, once I got onto the ramp to highway, it confused and asked me to make a U turn. It corrected after couple mins.
3> Sometimes it confused the directions if you backed up your car a bit before driving forward. It also corrected after few mins too.
4> There were few instances due to bumpy roads, the GPS moved side way instead of facing you, it confused the directions too. Moved the GPS back to facing the driver would fix issue.
Oct 19, 2013
23 posts
7 upvotes
Stittsville, ON
Out of stock at Barhaven.

Associate says that model is discontinued.
Jan 20, 2007
56 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga
tigger03 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:06 am
If you have used google map or waze, you can't stand the Garmin traffic.
Nov 26, 2015
386 posts
174 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
zhaiming97 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 11:50 am
If you have used google map or waze, you can't stand the Garmin traffic.
I disagree with this comment. I have used all 3 and I am satisfied with the garmin one. During my drive between Caledon ON and Burlington ON, every so often it kept updating traffic. The split screen on my unit (2589LMT) showed how much time added to trip due to traffic and how far am I from that traffic point.

It constantly updated every few minutes. Coming from someone who has been only using Google maps the last 8+ years. Tried waze and do not care for it.

However older garmin traffic was crappy. So it depends on the model.
Jun 21, 2011
13 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Kitchener store got 4 more left