Hot Deals

[Costco] Garmin Vivosmart HR+ GPS fitness tracker $159 (take another $25 off with masterpass)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2017 1:22 pm
[OP]
Jul 29, 2011
56 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver

[Costco] Garmin Vivosmart HR+ GPS fitness tracker $159 (take another $25 off with masterpass)

My Fitbit Charge HR is on it's last legs. In true RFD fashion, I've stapled the band from tearing any further, and using scotch tape to keep the clasp on the bottom of the device so I can charge it. It's lookin' sketchy.

As a replacement, I bought the Garmin Vivosmart HR+ for $159 at Costco.ca. And yes, you can use the $25 masterpass discount to bring it lower.

Costco's price is about $50 lower than any other online stores I could find – with the Masterpass discount – $75 less – it's a solid deal. My guess is because this is last year's model, it's being cleared out.

So why buy it? Functionally, it has more features than the Fitbit Charge HR 2. It's truly waterproof to 50 metres, has onboard GPS (doesn't need a tethered phone), full ANT+ compatibility (meaning it can talk to your bike computer), can control music on your phone, and better battery life than the Charge HR 2.

Why not to buy it? If all you really want to do is track your steps, occasional anaerobic exercise, and track your sleep, buy the Fitbit. It's prettier. The HR+ is Garmin's 2016 model, already replaced with a newer model (that is $250+), the screen is lo-fi, and the app isn't as easy to use as Fitbit's. It's more geared to sports on a regular basis.

Other GPS enabled watches - Samsung Fit 2 (which nobody seems to buy?), and of course the Apple Watch Series 2,3 (with a battery life of < 1 day, and costing $400??)

Review here: https://www.wareable.com/fitness-tracke ... ss-tracker
Last edited by Byzantium on Oct 28th, 2017 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8 replies
Aug 18, 2014
19 posts
13 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Been using this for about a month and a half having been through a few Charge HRs dying from water damage. In addition to what you've already mentioned, I find the step counter to be a bit more accurate (my Fitbit registered a ton more fake steps), the floors counter is definitely less accurate than my Fibit, same with the HR monitor, but both aren't great. Software is light years ahead for the Fitbit.

At 149$ in store or online with the Masterpass discount, if you need the water resistance, this is the definitely the watch to get. I'm happy with mine but if Fitbit can advertise 5 atm water resistance on their successor to the Charge 2, I'll probably go back if the Garmin dies. I miss the software and more of my friends are using Fitbit so I miss doing the weekly challenges with them.
May 8, 2002
672 posts
62 upvotes
Already used the Masterpass discount on another order. To take advantage of this deal, do I need to create a new costco.ca account or a new masterpass account or both?
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
3874 posts
746 upvotes
BC
I have a refurbished Garmin vívosmart HR, so not the latest and greatest and no GPS, but I really enjoy it.

So if you don't need all the bells and whistles it's a pretty fair price on amazon.COM.
(USA -- $59 + $11 duties and ship ) https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-vívosmart ... efurbished

That said, if you choose to go my route, I'd wait till Black Friday. I don't expect the watch to go on sale, but you might want to pickup other things from Amazon anyways.
:arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd:
Apr 8, 2017
106 posts
27 upvotes
Maple Ridge
You can also control music on these, which is actually one of the reasons I would go with this over the Fitbits :P I have yet to buy any fitness tracker yet, though.

There's a seller selling refurbished models of these for $60ish though. Not sure what to do.
Dec 13, 2016
15 posts
10 upvotes
I got this model for my bday a month back and I must say I’m impressed with it, but the last tracker I used was a Jawbone Up, which didn’t even have a watch face to it.

I chose this model due to Costco’s return policy (went through 3 Jawbones within 5 months), and the fact that it is a bit more streamlined and rugged than others. My work involves a lot of hands on tasks, along with dirt and liquids, and I wanted to be able to wear this 24/7 and wash it well after working.

It’s holding up well so far, and although I can’t compare features to any Fitbit model, it really has a lot of insight and bells and whistles. Pairs well with my iPhone 6 for notifications, I can even use it to answer the phone when it rings, just can’t talk through it (obviously).

GPS drains the battery, but I think that’s par for the course with these toys, I’ve just learned to make sure I charge the night before a long ride.
Sep 15, 2011
697 posts
246 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
A bit on the higher end, I have a VivoACTIVE HR GPS which I really really like. Its GPS is amazingly accurate (but I'll agree it doesn't track flights of stairs nearly as accurately as my Fitbit did) I get great battery life on it (a week if not using the GPS, far less if you use the GPS). I like that I can receive texts and surprisingly, the "Find my phone" feature is super useful when my daughter wanders off with my phone and leaves it somewhere - even if all notifications and sounds are turned down/off it'll activate the sounds and vibrate - super handy.