• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2017 8:39 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 14, 2013
242 posts
138 upvotes

[Costco] GermGuardian air filter $199

Germguardian ac5002 cleans upto 193sq ft, super quiet, awesome deal, 2 pack.

Ok having issues with the link, look up germ guardian at costco.cam seen one go for as much as $189 for this model!
Last edited by jasonandannmarie on Dec 4th, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
51 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
19306 posts
123516 upvotes
GTA
We got one of these when on sale from Amazon for $120 or so. Full blast it is indeed loud (almost like a regular fan) but at the low setting you will hardly notice it. We often run it when tidying up for company/cooking so the sound is not that much of a bother, as we will be in and out of the room anyway.
Mar 12, 2017
73 posts
11 upvotes
I was planning on purchasing this 2 pack from Costco last week.
Good thing I waited! Thanks OP :D
[OP]
Jan 14, 2013
242 posts
138 upvotes
I already have 3, works really well in an old dusty house. Ever since i have two of these in my bedroom, no more snoring at night, fewer colds, allergies. Buying 2 more, one for the basement to control litter odor, the other to help son with dust in his room.
Mar 12, 2017
73 posts
11 upvotes
jasonandannmarie wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 7:12 pm
I already have 3, works really well in an old dusty house. Ever since i have two of these in my bedroom, no more snoring at night, fewer colds, allergies. Buying 2 more, one for the basement to control litter odor, the other to help son with dust in his room.
Do you know what differences this model has to the newest? AC5000E
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002KM ... YIK6Y9EEQB
Mar 12, 2017
125 posts
212 upvotes
Surprised no one has mentioned the plastic smell these things emit. I purchased these exact ones from Costco 6 months ago, and they smelt like plastic when on. We bought it for our baby which defeated the purpose of using it for air quality. We used it on an off a few times and after 4 months of barely any use, they started to emit a strange odour in addition to the plastic smell.

The plastic smell is a known issue, although some have reported it to go away after running it continuously for a day or so. I tried that to no avail. The odours it began to emit a few months later while being stored in the closet of a brand new house, was super weird.

Thanks to Costco's return policy, they refunded me the money. Wasn't expected it since it was so long ago, but a nice surprise.

Also, the fans are positioned on a 45 degree or so angle from the actual vertical vents, so a good portion of the air being pushed out by the fan is blocked by the plastic enclosure and blowing out on a weird angle (and not where you're aiming it).
[OP]
Jan 14, 2013
242 posts
138 upvotes
Interesting, re:smell. I have never has that experience in all three i had purchased, maybe i was lucky?
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
1302 posts
320 upvotes
jasonandannmarie wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 8:03 pm
Interesting, re:smell. I have never has that experience in all three i had purchased, maybe i was lucky?
I bought these on Black Friday, Called into Costco customer service tonight and a did price adjustment. Thanks, OP. I bought these fans, because of the great reviews for this brand.

Yes I did have smell plastic on mine when on, but not really overwhelming, I've gotten used to it by now. Had it on for 5 days almost constantly. I think the plastic smell has dissipated a bit, so it's not so bad anymore.
Apr 24, 2013
271 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
Krime1k wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 7:37 pm
Surprised no one has mentioned the plastic smell these things emit. I purchased these exact ones from Costco 6 months ago, and they smelt like plastic when on. We bought it for our baby which defeated the purpose of using it for air quality. We used it on an off a few times and after 4 months of barely any use, they started to emit a strange odour in addition to the plastic smell.

The plastic smell is a known issue, although some have reported it to go away after running it continuously for a day or so. I tried that to no avail. The odours it began to emit a few months later while being stored in the closet of a brand new house, was super weird.

Thanks to Costco's return policy, they refunded me the money. Wasn't expected it since it was so long ago, but a nice surprise.

Also, the fans are positioned on a 45 degree or so angle from the actual vertical vents, so a good portion of the air being pushed out by the fan is blocked by the plastic enclosure and blowing out on a weird angle (and not where you're aiming it).
Same problem. I got mine from Amazon, and I noticed, that if you use the device ON and OFF, the plastic smell is a lot worse (as though it is 'accumulating' inside). If the device is constantly ON, the smell is barely noticeable, but I assume it is still there.

Plastic smell is a lot worse to your health than dust. The point of this device is to make the air 'better', so if there is even a slight risk of the air getting worse, I would avoid it.

Anyways, I contacted Germ Guardian support, they sent me a free replacement filter - which didn't solve the plastic smell problem. So I ended up giving the entire unit to a friend (quite evil to gift a friend with 'chemical smells' in his room, but I was honest and he didn't mind).

My suggestion - unless your room is 'disgustingly' smelly or dirty (or if you are an indoor smoker), the plastic smell would be noticeable and not worth it. But if you are already moderately clean with no strong smells, there is no need to bring this disgusting plastic smell into your life.

Also, contrary to what others say, the smell does NOT go away with time - as I mentioned, it goes away with 'time while the device is ON', but if you turn the device off for a bit, the smell returns. This is based on personal experience of 5 months of continuous ON and OFF use.

Note, this burning plastic smell can eventually cause Cancer - especially for newborns. So be careful.
Last edited by john5170 on Dec 4th, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 18, 2012
25 posts
6 upvotes
North York
Thanks OP. Bought these just under a month ago for full price. Going to head to Costco today to get a price match.

Also, for anyone looking to buy these... there is a small plastic smell for the first few times but then you get used to it or it goes away. I got one for my bedroom and it seems to work well. The other one is in the basement and helps keep the air clean down there.