• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 3:32 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1162 posts
52 upvotes
Ontario
Is there a whole home air filter that would be integrated to a furnace?
Or other room options that don’t have a pastiche smell?
Jun 21, 2008
50 posts
23 upvotes
North Vancouver
Gosh is it out of stock already? I am getting an error message for this 5002 model 2 pack. I saw this last night & went to store to see if they had in person, back home & gone already. RFD effect. Although i thought Costco typically has lots of stock.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
1160 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto
I have one, I don't mind the smell as it is not as bad as every one say it is. it reminds me of a new laptop smell, which is fine by me! but what you can do with it is run it on high without the filter outside for an hour and that should greatly decrease the plastic smell
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1552 posts
280 upvotes
Smoothie wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 7:54 pm
Is there a whole home air filter that would be integrated to a furnace?
Or other room options that don’t have a pastiche smell?
you can get whole house devices. iqair and lennox have them. looking at 1000+ for device and install minimum
[OP]
Jan 14, 2013
242 posts
138 upvotes
sbreakin wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:39 am
Gosh is it out of stock already? I am getting an error message for this 5002 model 2 pack. I saw this last night & went to store to see if they had in person, back home & gone already. RFD effect. Although i thought Costco typically has lots of stock.
I just went to costco.ca and searched for germ and it popped up, still available.
Oct 25, 2016
4 posts
1 upvote
Yes, when I looked last night it was showing as out of stock. You can now order it but it is back ordered ("expected to ship between 12/15/2017 and 12/22/2017.")
Jan 11, 2010
438 posts
44 upvotes
Is the plastic smell common for all models or just this specific one? I recently purchased the AC4825 version and haven't noticed any smell.

I will say I have noticed sneezing alot less after getting it, so it has helped.

Nice deal if they are the AC5000 version as ive been watching their price on amazon and its been 1 for $190.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5596 posts
730 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
I remember reading a few reports saying that air purifiers don't have as much benefits as people claim, and they're loud.
Plus the added electricity/maintenance costs (filter replacements) in running them make them an expensive item to own.

Unless one has lung problems (like asthma), just follow these rules instead:

Vacuum often and thoroughly, especially if you have a pet.
Ban smoking indoors.
Skip the scented candles and fires in the fireplace.
Change the filters on your forced air heating and cooling system.
Run exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom.
Keep chemicals, solvents, glues, and pesticides away from living areas.
If you need to keep the windows closed to avoid pollen, run the fan of your air conditioner with a clean air filter.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1552 posts
280 upvotes
newt_101 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 6:11 am
I remember reading a few reports saying that air purifiers don't have as much benefits as people claim, and they're loud.
Plus the added electricity/maintenance costs (filter replacements) in running them make them an expensive item to own.

Ban smoking indoors.
If you need to keep the windows closed to avoid pollen, run the fan of your air conditioner with a clean air filter.
very true, but if you live in a condo with shared spaces and ductwork you can often be a victim of scents/odours/chemicals from neighbouring condos. a condo i lived in smellt like an ashtray whenever the neighbours ran their bathroom fan because it leaked into other condos bathrooms.

i would also mention don't use any of those scented smell products like "scented garbage bags" or those febreeze wall plug things. those are the worst, but people love to use them. if you want a nice smell boil some cinnamon and clove on your stove or use essential oils in a diffuser.
Dec 2, 2012
276 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
theastroboy wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 12:45 pm
Are there filters to change? How much are they? How often do they need to be changed?
Yes, 35 bucks at least on amazon, roughly 3 month

this is a money sinking product, i'd avoid unless you are dying from air allergies (maybe you should check your surroundings first)
Feb 7, 2016
199 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto, ON
fresh air leads to fresh oxygen!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2004
5016 posts
139 upvotes
Montreal, QC, Canada
AND WITH THIS POST, I'VE JUST REACHED 5000! Augmented RFD post status acheived!

Anyone know for sure if this Germ Guardian unit produces ozone or ions/ionized air/air ionizer? I noticed the Asept Air Life Cell linked above specifically states it's not an ionizer and doesn't produce ozone. Ozone and ionized air is unhealthy to breathe and you're not supposed to be outside of the room for at least an hour after turning off an air ionizer, much more shouldn't even be in the room while it's operating.
john5170 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 8:21 pm

Same problem... use the device ON and OFF, the plastic smell is a lot worse (as though it is 'accumulating' inside). If the device is constantly ON, the smell is barely noticeable...
Plastic smell is a lot worse to your health than dust...
...contacted Germ Guardian support, they sent me a free replacement filter - which didn't solve the plastic smell problem...
Also, contrary to what others say, the smell does NOT go away with time - as I mentioned, it goes away with 'time while the device is ON', but if you turn the device off for a bit, the smell returns. This is based on personal experience of 5 months of continuous ON and OFF use.

Note, this burning plastic smell can eventually cause Cancer - especially for newborns. So be careful.
Odors when not in use, I'd have thought something crawled into the unit and died there or some pests decided to nest inside it?
Strange that the smell accumulates when not on, even to the point when unplugged. I suspect the unit you have, has a faulty wire that is melting or overheating. I suspect an entire batch probably has this problem. If that's the case, a replacement filter will do nothing as the unit itself may be damaged/faulty. If I'm right, I'm surprised the unit continues to work for 5 months; then again if it's only the rubber/plastic sleeving on a wire and not the wire itself that is overheating/melting then the unit will continue to function.
Unless the burning plastic smell is actually burning plastic, I don't see how the smell alone can cause cancer. It would take a serious device flaw for it to cause cancer, and that would trigger a recall.
theastroboy wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 12:45 pm
Are there filters to change? How much are they? How often do they need to be changed?
Excellent question, I'd like to know how much and how often it takes to replace the filters in this Germ Guardian deal.
newt_101 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 6:11 am

Ban smoking indoors.
I do all those things and the fans in all my computers still fill with dust every few months; and I get lots of surface dust around the house. I live on the 3rd floor of my building, computers are all right near balcony door, balcony is in the rear of the building surrounded by grass and tall trees with no heavy traffic on nearby streets. No smokers, no pets, I never use scented sprays or candles. Could stand to vacuum more, and no carpet. I've read MANY MANY times that 80% of the dust in any household are skin cells. I also think air purifiers/filters with carbon/charcoal are great for getting rid of cooking smells, especially grease, fish, and spices, from lingering in the whole house and soaking into clothing.
MotorN wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:40 pm
I bought a few AC4825CA units last year that seem to be similar. I bought the following charcoal filters(6 pack) for $27 earlier this year, they are now selling for $9.99. Not sure if they are compatible with this unit.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01COV ... UTF8&psc=1
Anyone know yet if these are compatible with this double pack of Germ Guardian model? I'd probably even use this unit without the HEPA filter since I primarily care about the odor absorption, fine particle filtration is a bonus.
Ebay Feedback Score:55 | 68 Pos | 100%
My Heat 25-1-0

[POST=5799853]Best Quality DVD Burn I've Seen[/POST]
My Sale/Trade Lists [THREAD=399765]Computers[/THREAD]

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

MXMike