Costco gold membership with coupons/ cash card

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2017 2:37 am
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
5246 posts
1248 upvotes
Moncton, NB
What's the link to the deal? I cannot find it.

Our Costco just expired in January. We haven't gone back yet to renew so this would be perfect :)

Edit: I think I found it.. and it's not available in the east coast :(
Nov 24, 2002
163 posts
32 upvotes
Deal link: https://www.groupon.com/deals/costco-me ... 8-national

Won't work for you though: "This Groupon is valid for new Costco memberships and memberships that have been expired for more than 12 months."
nounou23 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 10:08 am
What's the link to the deal? I cannot find it.

Our Costco just expired in January. We haven't gone back yet to renew so this would be perfect :)

Edit: I think I found it.. and it's not available in the east coast :(
Jun 20, 2009
417 posts
74 upvotes
Brampton
networksend wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 9:35 am
Misleading? Ok

Buy gold membership ($55 plus tax) get $35.46 worth of coupons/discounts to use at costco

Also noticed groupon has spend $40, get $10 off, with code "OFF", not sure if it applies to this deal
I tried using the code "OFF", it does'nt work. It is a good deal. My membership expires this month. Is there anyway I can make use of this deal?
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13640 posts
3413 upvotes
Toronto
JMik wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 10:14 am
Deal link: https://www.groupon.com/deals/costco-me ... 8-national

Won't work for you though: "This Groupon is valid for new Costco memberships and memberships that have been expired for more than 12 months."
Thanks, you answered my question, it can't be used for spring renewal
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
May 3, 2010
79 posts
17 upvotes
Ottawa
Not sure though...my wife is the current membership holder. Ours expired last month...can't I sign up this time, and get this to work?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
5246 posts
1248 upvotes
Moncton, NB
thoth11 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 10:20 am
Not sure though...my wife is the current membership holder. Ours expired last month...can't I sign up this time, and get this to work?
I was going to say the same. Well I'm the primary card holder. Expired last month. Why can't my wife sign up?

but I see it says "Valid only in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Ontario."

But a costco membership can be used anywhere..
[OP]
Nov 24, 2015
167 posts
120 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
nounou23 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 10:25 am
I was going to say the same. Well I'm the primary card holder. Expired last month. Why can't my wife sign up?

but I see it says "Valid only in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Ontario."

But a costco membership can be used anywhere..
It's probably because you have to bring the groupon to the warehouse to redeem
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2302 posts
128 upvotes
My wife is primary card holder, I was listed as spouse, but I never picked up a card for myself since whenever we went, she was there.

Our card expired, I got this Groupon, going to see if I can sign up.
Damage due to RFD Since April 2013: $3173.00
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1983 posts
312 upvotes
Oshawa
Question: If I get a card (no need for the spousal card because me and my wife goto Costco together anyway) ... the additional card, could my mom get it? I live in Oshawa and my mom lives in Markham.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.

Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, OSP RULES!
YGK, Toray, Sunline RULES!
Shimano RULES!
St. Croix & Halo RULES!

JDM ONLY.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13640 posts
3413 upvotes
Toronto
AV-Fishing wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 11:49 am
Question: If I get a card (no need for the spousal card because me and my wife goto Costco together anyway) ... the additional card, could my mom get it? I live in Oshawa and my mom lives in Markham.
Any costco membership is valid at any costco in Canada and the US so i assume its doable, though for the promotion will they let you go to a participating costco with someone who lives out of town, i don't know, i don't see why they would care but its a risk.
[OP]
Nov 24, 2015
167 posts
120 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
AV-Fishing wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 11:49 am
Technically, the additional card holder has to live at the same address, but I don't remember them confirming this. It would be best if you went with mom and have her pic taken for the additional card.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13640 posts
3413 upvotes
Toronto
networksend wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 11:55 am
Technically, the additional card holder has to live at the same address, but I don't remember them confirming this. It would be best if you went with mom and have her pic taken for the additional card.
I figured the OP meant he buys the groupon in mom's name, she lives out of town, comes to visit and gets the membership at the local warehouse using her real out of town address
Apr 20, 2013
48 posts
15 upvotes
Vancouver
Me and the wife have been planning to get a Costco membership for the past few weeks. Looks like a perfect time to go for it.

Nice find OP
Penalty Box
Oct 15, 2006
4264 posts
437 upvotes
i am the primary account holder with wife (last name different than mine) as the secondary
could we let mine expire and create a new one under her name with me as secondary?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4671 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 11:52 am
Any costco membership is valid at any costco in Canada and the US
Worldwide actually.
I use mine in Mexico all the time.
LarissaC wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 9:51 am
I wish Costco would go back to their original model of getting a large chunk of their profit from the memberships and selling stuff at cost. I feel like some of the stuff at costco these days isn't cheaper than other non-costco places.
I think they still do to be honest.
Remember, there's some things that other retailers may be able to negotiate lower or get a credit or other way of profiting.
Or it could just be a loss leader.

Based on their financial statements, the bulk of their profits DOES come from membership fees.
Their revenue for 2016 was $116 billion worldwide.
Memberships were $2.646 billion.
Gross Margins were 11.35%
Expenses were 10.4%
The difference is 0.95%
That means that their profit on merchandise sales was $1.102 billion.
29.4% of profits were for sales, 70.6% being from memberships.

But considering their pricing structure, it's extremely hard to round to the dollar (minus a penny) and adjust for 1% difference.
The only way this is possible is if it the item in question is over $100. While many things are over $100, I would think that the bulk of their items are not.
I feel like these type of deals may cut into their ability to sell things at-cost.
It's a one time thing though.
Outside of the loopholes mentioned above (spouse getting a card where you're the current member) you're going to be paying full price at the end of the first year.

What I REALLY don't understand though is the Executive membership.
I pay $110 per year but I get a rebate check that's usually higher than that. My latest one was $157.
There's even a guarantee that if you don't pay for the difference in membership via the rebate, they'll refund you the difference.
So for me, their revenue for memberships is actually $-47.
They still made 1% off all my purchases but they also sold $4700 worth of goods to me at zero profits.
Considering I only spent $7850 (based on my rebate check) they made literally $29.92 off of me the entire year, less than what they'd make on a Gold Star membership.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)