Expired Group Deals

Costco gold membership with coupons/ cash card

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2017 2:37 am
Jun 16, 2008
640 posts
256 upvotes
I just purchased a new TV from Costco last week through the website, but I'm not a member.

If I grab this Groupon and activate the membership, do you know if I can retroactively add that purchase to the account and get the 2nd year warranty applied?

Even if this is possible, what happens to the 2 year Costco warranty if I don't renew my membership in year 2?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2302 posts
128 upvotes
decorates wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 2:00 pm
Do you mind providing an update after you try this? Thanks!
So I got the membership, but YMMV, first lady was a little strict (her name tag said she's been working for Costco since 1998 - so she probably knows all the tricks), she quickly found my profile in their system was I was listed as secondary for a membership at an old address that just expired Jan 31st 2017, it looks shady Feb 1st, I come in looking for a new card.

I just played dumb at I never knew I was listed as a secondary, that I don't live at that address anymore and that I never had a card.
She called her supervisor over, he didn't really seem to care and quickly called over another associate to process my new membership.

So I got my card, upgraded to Executive for another $55 (2% cash back for the year, if you don't make the $55 difference, they said Costco will reimburse the difference), got a coupon and chicken and salad and they said the cash card will come in the mail.

So YMMV, probably won't work for everyone.

Elgin Mills/404 location BTW.
Damage due to RFD Since April 2013: $3173.00
Nov 29, 2007
126 posts
8 upvotes
Can you get this deal for the rest of the provinces too?
I don't see as much restrictions as the Manitoba deal before.
Sep 18, 2008
475 posts
77 upvotes
So for the refer a friend, I would buy the costco membership from Groupon and go with a friend (current costco member) and bring that printout https://m.costco.ca/refer-a-friend.html when I go to signup? I will get chicken and salad coupon, $10 cash card, $10 off $100 online coupon and the $10 refer a friend card? If so, sounds good to me :)
Mar 23, 2016
38 posts
14 upvotes
tdotojnf wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 9:09 am
So for the refer a friend, I would buy the costco membership from Groupon and go with a friend (current costco member) and bring that printout https://m.costco.ca/refer-a-friend.html when I go to signup? I will get chicken and salad coupon, $10 cash card, $10 off $100 online coupon and the $10 refer a friend card? If so, sounds good to me :)
The refer a friend says it can't be combined with any other promotion. Will it work with the groupon?
Sep 14, 2015
666 posts
338 upvotes
Mont-Royal, QC
This Groupon is valid for new Costco memberships and memberships that have been expired for more than 12 months.
Sep 30, 2015
103 posts
85 upvotes
East York, ON
blues45 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 9:11 am
So I got my card, upgraded to Executive for another $55 (2% cash back for the year, if you don't make the $55 difference, they said Costco will reimburse the difference), got a coupon and chicken and salad and they said the cash card will come in the mail.
I got my $10 cash card on the spot along with the coupons.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2001
4535 posts
192 upvotes
blues45 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 9:11 am
So I got the membership, but YMMV, first lady was a little strict (her name tag said she's been working for Costco since 1998 - so she probably knows all the tricks), she quickly found my profile in their system was I was listed as secondary for a membership at an old address that just expired Jan 31st 2017, it looks shady Feb 1st, I come in looking for a new card.

I just played dumb at I never knew I was listed as a secondary, that I don't live at that address anymore and that I never had a card.
She called her supervisor over, he didn't really seem to care and quickly called over another associate to process my new membership.

So YMMV, probably won't work for everyone.

Elgin Mills/404 location BTW.
I thought the $10 cash card would be given to you at the time they process your membership.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2302 posts
128 upvotes
Arrow wrote:
Feb 4th, 2017 1:04 am
I thought the $10 cash card would be given to you at the time they process your membership.
Well, they better not screw me over. They told me it would be mailed.
Damage due to RFD Since April 2013: $3173.00
Apr 12, 2011
21 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I got my cash card in store yesterday too. Might be because you upgraded.
Aug 14, 2010
59 posts
12 upvotes
I upgraded to the Executive and I got the $10 cash card and all the coupons.

They gave me a temporary membership printout since their printer was down.

I looked around and the prices are excellent.

I used to shop at Walmart, but Costco will be getting my business now.

Doing a big shopping trip tomorrow.
Dec 26, 2016
93 posts
16 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Does Costco credit check when you get a membership?
I remember I couldn't get AMEX credit card few years ago when I bought a membership.
Banned
Nov 21, 2016
105 posts
37 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 1:02 pm
Worldwide actually.
I use mine in Mexico all the time.

I think they still do to be honest.
Remember, there's some things that other retailers may be able to negotiate lower or get a credit or other way of profiting.
Or it could just be a loss leader.

Based on their financial statements, the bulk of their profits DOES come from membership fees.
Their revenue for 2016 was $116 billion worldwide.
Memberships were $2.646 billion.
Gross Margins were 11.35%
Expenses were 10.4%
The difference is 0.95%
That means that their profit on merchandise sales was $1.102 billion.
29.4% of profits were for sales, 70.6% being from memberships.

But considering their pricing structure, it's extremely hard to round to the dollar (minus a penny) and adjust for 1% difference.
The only way this is possible is if it the item in question is over $100. While many things are over $100, I would think that the bulk of their items are not.

It's a one time thing though.
Outside of the loopholes mentioned above (spouse getting a card where you're the current member) you're going to be paying full price at the end of the first year.

What I REALLY don't understand though is the Executive membership.
I pay $110 per year but I get a rebate check that's usually higher than that. My latest one was $157.
There's even a guarantee that if you don't pay for the difference in membership via the rebate, they'll refund you the difference.
So for me, their revenue for memberships is actually $-47.
They still made 1% off all my purchases but they also sold $4700 worth of goods to me at zero profits.
Considering I only spent $7850 (based on my rebate check) they made literally $29.92 off of me the entire year, less than what they'd make on a Gold Star membership.
That math is dubious. You're subtracting all of their operating expenses from sales profit and then claiming that they only have 1% markup.... By my calculations, they have around 13% markup. Thanks to your membership (which cost you $55), you get 2% back so you only pay 11% markup. They get your loyalty and higher sales volume in return. How exactly does that affect operating costs? I would guess that higher volumes doesn't increase them much. They run a lean operation in which memberships are a complicated piece. It would require some modeling and knowledge of more information than we have to calculate exactly how important the memberships are.