Expired Group Deals

Costco gold membership with coupons/ cash card

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2017 2:37 am
May 14, 2015
58 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto, ON
anybody combined this Groupon with 2x$10 refer a friend?
Jun 16, 2012
28 posts
8 upvotes
forumw wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 12:12 pm
anybody combined this Groupon with 2x$10 refer a friend?
+1. Like to know the same thing. I bought the groupon deal and my brother is already a member. Do we get the refer a friend deal? If yes, then who does? him or me?
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1121 posts
566 upvotes
Saw this on Groupon as well.

IMO this is really just a so-so deal, it is what I would call "the usual" Costco Special.

Got the same deal in the mail a year or so ago, having somehow ended up on a Costco Mailout (now that I think about it, it might have been because I bought something off their Website... You don't need a Membership to shop on-line).

Our Membership Deal was the regular price but came with some coupons for Rotisserie Chicken, Salad & a $ 10 GC upon Membership Activation.

We don't shop at Costco enough annually to get an Executive "cash back" Membership... But we have definitely found value in our Membership in being able to buy items that are a lot more expensive elsewhere (like the outdoor sisal rug I got for about $ 100 less than anywhere else).

I do find that shopping at Costco promotes one to spontaneous spend (albeit for an item that truly is a good deal) in so much as you find something while you are browsing, and it is therefore much harder to stick with any sort of a shopping plan. Most people i talk to agree, everytime they go to Costco they spend a lot more than they thought they would gong in.

Plus merchandise is featured in limited quantities / appearances, so the item / brand you buy today, they may not carry the next time you are in the store. (Example, they used to carry Mtl Steak Spice in large canisters, now they've dropped it an instead to carry another Steakhouse Brand). Got to wonder how much the new brand paid them to fill this shelf space ?

Costco is definitely an interesting case study in modern marketing... If you had asked my Dad if he'd ever see himself paying a Membership to shop, he would have laughed you out of the room.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2005
2683 posts
150 upvotes
any groupon code to stack on top of it for more discounts?
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2010
1050 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
Was thinking of giving this a try, but how does it work if it's not for me and request a refund? I know you can get a refund on Costco membership, but how's it work with a Groupon?
signature removed for rule violations
Dec 26, 2016
89 posts
16 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
pete_rfd wrote:
Feb 13th, 2017 10:24 pm
Was thinking of giving this a try, but how does it work if it's not for me and request a refund? I know you can get a refund on Costco membership, but how's it work with a Groupon?
I requested a refund in Groupon account page, and I got a refund after few days.
My CC company sent me an auto-message that groupon transaction was refunded.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2010
1050 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
Sunshower wrote:
Feb 13th, 2017 11:10 pm
I requested a refund in Groupon account page, and I got a refund after few days.
My CC company sent me an auto-message that groupon transaction was refunded.
My question isn't so much is a refund possible, but how would it work if I do redeem it?
Groupons refund policy "any unredeemed voucher may be returned to us within the first three days of purchase for a refund of the amount paid".
But if I redeem the membership, then in a few weeks decide it's not for me, how would the refund work in that situation? Groupon won't refund, but Costco does have a membership refund policy.
Jul 11, 2008
394 posts
89 upvotes
Has anyone been able to use *any* groupon promo codes for an additional discount on this (not including 3rd party offers such as ebates etc)?
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2010
1050 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
adilh53 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 11:50 am
Has anyone been able to use *any* groupon promo codes for an additional discount on this (not including 3rd party offers such as ebates etc)?
I have a coupon extension, and it tried about 15 codes, none worked. Also, the 25% off promo code won't work with this either :(
Dec 26, 2016
89 posts
16 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
pete_rfd wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 11:24 am
My question isn't so much is a refund possible, but how would it work if I do redeem it?
Groupons refund policy "any unredeemed voucher may be returned to us within the first three days of purchase for a refund of the amount paid".
But if I redeem the membership, then in a few weeks decide it's not for me, how would the refund work in that situation? Groupon won't refund, but Costco does have a membership refund policy.
My apology, I didn't clearly understand your question at first.
Groupon wouldn't probably refund any "redeemed" voucher, you should contact Costco for the membership refund.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
9910 posts
872 upvotes
Markham
Thanks OP. Feel bad seeing all.the negative comments when you genuinely tried to help RFDers

I hope it doesn't discourage you from sharing deals in the future.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2010
1050 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
musicmastomagic wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 12:17 pm
"Sold out"
Nah, just expired. Costco will never sell out of memberships :P
RolandCouch wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 6:43 pm
Thanks OP. Feel bad seeing all.the negative comments when you genuinely tried to help RFDers

I hope it doesn't discourage you from sharing deals in the future.
Ikr, what's up with all the neggy?! If I didn't see this post I probably wouldn't have signed up; I'm glad OP posted it. Maybe we missed something?

Went over on yesterday and signed up. The lady sure wanted me to buy the Executive membership though, mentioning how the Gold you're losing money, but Executive you're making money (with the 2% cashback). Then saying something about if you don't get $55 in rewards, they refund you partially for the extra $55 you paid or something? I was so confused, anybody know what she meant by that?
[OP]
Nov 24, 2015
150 posts
86 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
yah you have nothing to lose with the upgraded executive membership. they will refund you the difference if you dont make enough cash back to cover the extra price for executive memebership.

example:
2015 I got a cheque for $37 because I didnt spend so much that year. the executive membership is $55 more than gold, so I got 55-37= $18 cash back, used my cheque and downgraded to gold, so you lose nothing

2016 we were buying leather couches from costco so spent quite a bit, so I upgraded back to executive and got plenty of cash back to cover the membership and made money
Jun 20, 2009
373 posts
69 upvotes
Brampton
pete_rfd wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 10:39 pm
Nah, just expired. Costco will never sell out of memberships :P

I meant the groupon deal "sold out" :P