Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 31, 2003
187 posts
16 upvotes
gibson00 wrote:
May 16th, 2012 9:28 am
OK, question about lighting the charcoal...
We made steak last night. Brought the Vision up to about 650 pretty quickly. Just used a couple peices of newspaper under the coals to light it.
After it got to temp., I put the steaks on and cooked them over a period of about 10 minutes.
The problem I had was that after searing each side for 3-4 minutes, when I shut the dampers down, the egg filled with rather bad smelling smoke (using costco lump).
It would seem that it was the type of smoke you'd get from charcoal that wasn't completely lit.
So would that have been the issue, that even though it was up to 650, a lot of the charcoal was still unlit, thus producing the bad smelling smoke?
This of course affected the taste of the steak, a very noticeable off taste.

And when doing 'low and slow', how do avoid this taste given that the charcoal is sort of being constantly lit and used up over a period of hours??

Thanks!!!

I had the same thing when I was doing Korean beef. The flare ups imparted a bad taste. I think because I had dumped some new charcoal on a pile of already lit charcoal and I did not allow it to all light up first.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23297 posts
1440 upvotes
Markham
I need some good gloves
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2007
1452 posts
329 upvotes
Edmonton
it seems like any cold fire is very smoky (incomplete combustion) and some charcoals definitely smell betters than others when that happens. Like the smoke from a candle when you blow it out, the last bit of ember doesn't have enough heat to fully combust the fuel and it is a dirty process. Slow cooking is a small, hot fire and that small fire moves and consumes fuel slowly but efficiently. My low and slows are not smoky at all.

Personally I'm into that final smoke kick when I do my steaks but maybe people who don't like it could try cooking just a little longer on each side and pulling them before shutting down the grill? I do like the method where you leave them on and shut down the grill at the end but I'll bet you can get the same radiant heat effect by just wrapping in foil when you pull them... as long as you can let the juices drain somehow. Juicy steak=good, soggy steak=bad.

PS
I was going to buy my father in law the Akorn but I just got word that he is kamado shopping [without me!] and is liking the Vision. I already know that he needs to inspect the ceramic before he leaves the store... is there anything else he should watch for? Nobody wants to haul these things any more than they have to.
You can't steal in slow motion
Feb 25, 2009
313 posts
17 upvotes
Ottawa
yao416 wrote:
May 17th, 2012 10:27 am
I thought you got one front vision?

I did, but they were going to send me the rack anyway for all the back and forth I had trying to get a cover that would fit....
Feb 25, 2009
313 posts
17 upvotes
Ottawa
Anatomy wrote:
May 17th, 2012 1:00 pm
it seems like any cold fire is very smoky (incomplete combustion) and some charcoals definitely smell betters than others when that happens. Like the smoke from a candle when you blow it out, the last bit of ember doesn't have enough heat to fully combust the fuel and it is a dirty process. Slow cooking is a small, hot fire and that small fire moves and consumes fuel slowly but efficiently. My low and slows are not smoky at all.

Personally I'm into that final smoke kick when I do my steaks but maybe people who don't like it could try cooking just a little longer on each side and pulling them before shutting down the grill? I do like the method where you leave them on and shut down the grill at the end but I'll bet you can get the same radiant heat effect by just wrapping in foil when you pull them... as long as you can let the juices drain somehow. Juicy steak=good, soggy steak=bad.

PS
I was going to buy my father in law the Akorn but I just got word that he is kamado shopping [without me!] and is liking the Vision. I already know that he needs to inspect the ceramic before he leaves the store... is there anything else he should watch for? Nobody wants to haul these things any more than they have to.

I like to shut all vents to give a final smoke before pulling anything off.

As far as inspecting the ceramic in the store, not sure you can do that. The box has to come off the bottom crate in order to see the whole thing. Might be tricky...
Apr 5, 2009
133 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
jroc wrote:
May 17th, 2012 10:50 am
I had the same thing when I was doing Korean beef. The flare ups imparted a bad taste. I think because I had dumped some new charcoal on a pile of already lit charcoal and I did not allow it to all light up first.

Had the exact same problem when I tried the heat/slap on steak/cover cooker/flip/repeat method. I attributed the problem as the steaks having too much fat. I had some well marbled ribeyes and man, did they have an excessively bad smokey flavour when I closed the cover and thought the smoke coming out of the top was normal. Wish I had experimented with a cheaper cut.

Next time, I put a Costco 1.5" striploin on, same method. No billowing smoke coming out the chimney this time, then i charred them up and let them rest for 10min. Tasted way better, touch of smoke and burnt edges. Make sure you have enough charcoal and it is flaming. Sadly, I still prefer a nice crust on my steak which I've only been able to do on my cast iron pan.
Feb 25, 2009
313 posts
17 upvotes
Ottawa
kwk87061 wrote:
May 17th, 2012 9:50 pm
Had the exact same problem when I tried the heat/slap on steak/cover cooker/flip/repeat method. I attributed the problem as the steaks having too much fat. I had some well marbled ribeyes and man, did they have an excessively bad smokey flavour when I closed the cover and thought the smoke coming out of the top was normal. Wish I had experimented with a cheaper cut.

Next time, I put a Costco 1.5" striploin on, same method. No billowing smoke coming out the chimney this time, then i charred them up and let them rest for 10min. Tasted way better, touch of smoke and burnt edges. Make sure you have enough charcoal and it is flaming. Sadly, I still prefer a nice crust on my steak which I've only been able to do on my cast iron pan.

You'de be a good candidate for the lava stone....slap em on there and you'll get crusty and tender with a hint of smoke!

All this chat about off flavour, I don't think I have ever had it? Except when I had a tragaer and it was clogging up at the auger...wow that was nasty....wings tasted like a burnt building........so I got rid of it, and that's when I found Vissy.

Minion and reverse sear..............I'm telling you, it works!
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23297 posts
1440 upvotes
Markham
How long you cook your wings for? Do you cook them both side? What's the best recipe for it :D
Feb 25, 2009
313 posts
17 upvotes
Ottawa
yao416 wrote:
May 17th, 2012 11:00 pm
How long you cook your wings for? Do you cook them both side? What's the best recipe for it :D

Firstly never use a Traegar Pellet Grill! Just kidding, I think I had bought a dud!

I like to cook em fairly low and reasonably slow. Indirect for me works great! 300 for 1 hour should do it. Throw some bbq sauce (preferably some of a bottle of the case of 12 Dinasaur BBQ sauce you picked up last time you were in Syracuse. Everyone has to go there at least once. Take the tour into the smokers if you can! Anyway, I digress, sauce for last 15 minutes.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23297 posts
1440 upvotes
Markham
I did mines yesterday for 20mins/20mins at 340 degrees. Indirect. Turned out great.

Will try an hour next time
Feb 25, 2009
313 posts
17 upvotes
Ottawa
yao416 wrote:
May 17th, 2012 11:25 pm
I did mines yesterday for 20mins/20mins at 340 degrees. Indirect. Turned out great.

Will try an hour next time

....at 300 indirect.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23297 posts
1440 upvotes
Markham
Lol. Almost the same. Plus. The vision thermometer is probably off by 40 ;p
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2005
3118 posts
362 upvotes
real men cook that **** direct on the upper rack
Sep 27, 2009
385 posts
59 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
saw this at the Richmond costco..so rejoice western canadians!

looks great...would get this over the bge just to spite my brother who picked up the LBGE at costco couple of months ago
Feb 25, 2009
313 posts
17 upvotes
Ottawa
itr452 wrote:
May 18th, 2012 12:02 am
saw this at the Richmond costco..so rejoice western canadians!

looks great...would get this over the bge just to spite my brother who picked up the LBGE at costco couple of months ago

Buy yourself a kid's kayak and a remote Control 3 foot helicopter for yourself at Costco with the money you saved...
He'll be jelly (as Yao says)
× < >