Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Costco & HD: Praying Mantis Egg Cases

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2016 7:30 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 27, 2009
777 posts
530 upvotes
Sask, Canada

Costco & HD: Praying Mantis Egg Cases

Deal Link:
Price:
$12.99
Didn't see these posted yet this year so I thought I would post them. Here's the previous thread from last year for more information. (Thanks to ag2000 costco-hd-praying-mantis-fight-mosquito ... y-1341580/

Home Depot $12.99 + Shipping
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/praying ... ase/910833

Costco $17.99 + Free Shipping (Back Orderred)
http://www.costco.ca/newurl.product.10300216.html

An excellent general predator! Praying mantis consumes aphids, beetles, flies, mosquitos, moths, caterpillars and any insect they can catch. Praying mantis, an insect with an innate killer attitude, is a great garden predator. One egg case hatches many tiny babies that quickly disperse throughout your garden. Your egg case contains approximately 40 to 400 eggs.

Mating occurs again in early fall and more egg cases will be laid that will hatch the following summer. The egg case is laid as a foam that hardens into a spongy almost indestructible mass, usually laid attached to a shrub, weed, grass, etc., a few feet off the ground. The egg mass survives freezing, thawing, rain and all the elements to hatch in the early summer to start the cycle again.

Features:

Hatching will occur by June
Egg case contains 40 to 400 young mantis
Most often green but sometimes brown
Very territorial, will create a home where hatched
Feeds on anything they can catch
Late summer mating season

How to apply:

Place egg case outside in the spring attaching the egg case using the included mesh bag in a plant, shrub or tree 1 to 1.5 m (3 to 5 ft.) above ground, or to observe, place in sealable white paper bag and place inside in south facing window checking daily. Tiny mantis will hatch in 1 to 8 weeks and all eggs will hatch within 1 to 2 hours, leaving the egg case visibly unchanged. Release tiny mantis immediately outside onto plants after the hatching occurs. They will quickly disperse throughout your yard to mature and lay eggs, continuing your population next season.

How much do I need?

One egg case covers approximately 90 sq. m (1000 sq. ft.)
155 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6946 posts
2694 upvotes
Awesome. Wanted to get this off of Amazon before but they wouldn't ship to Canada.
**Edit I think it was the butterfly one I wanted to order but they wouldn't ship.
Sep 27, 2009
777 posts
530 upvotes
Sask, Canada
craig187 wrote: 400? Gross
Haha it's up to 400 and not all of them survive to adulthood.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2011
2347 posts
1121 upvotes
Edmonton
Awesome.

My daughters will love this.
Jan 1, 2008
575 posts
229 upvotes
Brossard
HD shipping is just over 5$ around MTL. I'll probably go the Costco route then. As OP stated they are BO there, but these hatch by June, so hopefully they'll be back in stock by then
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3039 posts
1529 upvotes
Markham
A.K.A Sheldon Cooper Case
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Do they get in your house?
I am interested in this religious mantis.

edit - According to the specs, one box will cover 1000 sqft? wtf? so 40-400 mantises can't take care of more than 1000 sqft of garden?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2011
2347 posts
1121 upvotes
Edmonton
alkizmo wrote: Do they get in your house?

edit - According to the specs, one box will cover 1000 sqft? wtf? so 40-400 mantises can't take care of more than 1000 sqft of garden?
Majority of them will die and/or eat each other on the way to maturity. I'd imagine you'd be lucky to have a handful left in the end.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
2233 posts
567 upvotes
Kelowna
This... is such a unique deal that I would want to buy them just to set them free! Like a little religious insect army!
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15684 posts
7397 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I got one last year and only about 4-5 successfully hatched, and then a couple of weeks later, I only saw 2-3 around, and a month later, all were gone. They were so small that it's hard to believe they'd be able to "hunt" insects. More likely they were hunted by birds instead.
Sep 27, 2009
777 posts
530 upvotes
Sask, Canada
That's the one problem is that birds eat them. But another is they get much better at hiding when they get older.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Damnit, can you buy an army of healthy ones at the pet store for cheap? Like criquets?
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
alkizmo wrote: Do they get in your house?

Probably only 5% out of 40 to 400 will actually survive and half of those will go eat your neighbors bugs instead.

Also, yes, it's annoying when people try to imply that Mantids are religious.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2006
3481 posts
404 upvotes
Downtown Canada
Thanks OP! Let's see if more than 1 survives this year.
craig187 wrote: 400? Gross
Actually, a gross would be 144.
:cool:
May 22, 2012
834 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
Will these help with a hornets/wasp problem in my back yard? They keep building a nest somewhere on my deck or kitchen window.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
platinumtiger19 wrote: Will these help with a hornets/wasp problem in my back yard? They keep building a nest somewhere on my deck or kitchen window.
One on one? 50/50
Mantis vs hive? Hive wins.

Your hive issue stems from a bigger hive that's somewhere out there and keeps pooping out new queens.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
projectmoonlightcafe wrote: The annual mantis thread is here!
I missed the one from last year, I was too busy finishing my basement at this time. I was busy on the Home & Garden forum. Weird it didnt show up there.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3004 upvotes
London
It sounds like some people are looking for a deal on atheist mantis egg case.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)