Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Costco, HD - Praying Mantis - Fight mosquitoes, Flies, wasps in a natural way

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2013 7:56 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
2784 posts
826 upvotes
North York

[Costco] Costco, HD - Praying Mantis - Fight mosquitoes, Flies, wasps in a natural way

Copying my old post since Praying Mantis are on sale again

This year even better deal is available from Home depot - only $12.99 for the egg case + shipping

Info from HD
$12.99
ONLINE INVENTORY 487 available
ESTIMATED DELIVERY TIME:
3 TO 6 DAYS
FREE RETURNS

My own comment - I bought them last year and bought them again this year! They are real fun to watch (especially when they grow big towards September), and they never bite people. Unlike any other insect you can easily put it on your hand and it will stay still for some time.

Please : no Simpson jokes (they can be found in previous threads)!

************************************************************************************************************

Praying Mantis Natural
Insect Control Egg Case

Costco Item # 129014
Shipping & Handling included
$19.99

[IMG]http://content.costco.ca/Images/Content ... 29014c.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://content.costco.ca/Images/Content ... 4cLL_v.jpg[/IMG]

An excellent general predator! Praying mantis consumes aphids, beetles, flies, mosquitos, moths, caterpillars and any insect they can catch. Praying mantis, an insect with an innate killer attitude, is a great garden predator. One egg case hatches many tiny babies that quickly disperse throughout your garden. Your egg case contains approximately 40 to 400 eggs.

Mating occurs in early fall and another egg case will be laid that will hatch the following summer. The egg case is laid as a foam that hardens into a spongy almost indestructible mass, usually laid attached to a shrub, weed, grass, etc., a few feet off the ground. The egg mass survives freezing, thawing, rain and all the elements to hatch in the early summer to start the cycle again.

Click here to learn more about Praying Mantis.

Features:

Hatching will occur by June
Egg case contains 40 to 400 young mantis
Most often green but sometimes brown
Very territorial, will create a home where hatched
Feeds on anything they can catch
Late summer mating season

How to apply

Place egg case outside in the spring attaching the egg case using the included mesh bag in a plant, shrub or tree 1 to 1.5 m (3 to 5 ft.) above ground, or to observe, place in sealable white paper bag and place inside in south facing window checking daily. Tiny mantis will hatch in 1 to 8 weeks and all eggs will hatch within 1 to 2 hours, leaving the egg case visibly unchanged. Release tiny mantis immediately outside onto plants after the hatching occurs. They will quickly disperse throughout your yard to mature and lay eggs, continuing your population next season.

How much do I need?

One egg case covers approximately 90 sq. m (1000 sq. ft.)

Specifications:

Egg case dimensions (dia.):
2.54 cm (1 in.)

Shipping & Terms

Standard shipping is via UPS Ground. The estimated delivery time will be approximately 7 - 10 business days from the time of order.

Costco.ca offers merchandise which complements our warehouse product selection. Therefore, most items available on our web site are unique to costco.ca.

Costco.ca products can be returned to any of our more than 500 Costco warehouses worldwide.
82 replies
Nov 30, 2011
697 posts
224 upvotes
EDMONTON
So if I buy these now how do I store them for next year? Or could I still use it for this year?
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
2784 posts
826 upvotes
North York
OilersDude wrote: So if I buy these now how do I store them for next year? Or could I still use it for this year?
You definitely can use them this year. They keep them in the cold storage - so they will hatch only after you receive them and attach egg cases to the plants
Nov 30, 2011
697 posts
224 upvotes
EDMONTON
great thanks, how do i get the free shipping with HD though? It's charging me $7.00 shipping
Jun 13, 2007
22 posts
5 upvotes
Edmonton
Once the preying mantis' kill the mosquitoes does Costco sell bats or snakes to help me control their population
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10277 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
My dad has a huge wasp problem, they are making nests under the siding at the 2nd floor level. I wonder if these mantis' could even help that?
Oct 4, 2007
665 posts
186 upvotes
Mantis is prone to parasitic infection from horsehair worms, organisms that live inside a mantis abdomen and manipulate host mantis into "drowning" itself in water in order to help with their maturation/egg-laying process.
These worms cannot be killed even if you boil them, or grind them with rocks... while they aren't harmful to humans, they are pretty disgusting and annoying.
Just something to consider if you plan on using this approach to fight against other annoying bugs.

http://www.sciencebuzz.org/blog/hairwor ... ing-mantis
Jan 6, 2009
156 posts
44 upvotes
OilersDude wrote: great thanks, how do i get the free shipping with HD though? It's charging me $7.00 shipping
This
Will buy with free shipping

Last year a raccoon or something ate the entire egg sac before any hatched, hopefully I can avoid that this year :facepalm:
Mar 7, 2005
908 posts
341 upvotes
Tried this one year. Not entirely sure that they hatched, and didn't really do anything for the bugs. I think the birds may have had a little fun, though. Some have talked about using an old aquarium and hatching these guys indoors, then letting them loose once grown a little.
Feb 5, 2009
202 posts
78 upvotes
yangxu wrote: Mantis is prone to parasitic infection from horsehair worms, organisms that live inside a mantis abdomen and manipulate host mantis into "drowning" itself in water in order to help with their maturation/egg-laying process.
These worms cannot be killed even if you boil them, or grind them with rocks... while they aren't harmful to humans, they are pretty disgusting and annoying.
Just something to consider if you plan on using this approach to fight against other annoying bugs.

http://www.sciencebuzz.org/blog/hairwor ... ing-mantis
Pretty happy to hear that these disgusting things aren't harmful to humans.

These things are hollywood horror movie disgusting.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t778djMJiv8
Mar 13, 2005
345 posts
41 upvotes
how do you knnow when they have hatched from the egg? I bought some from Home Depot about a month ago.....and looking at the egg, I can't tell if anything has hatched. is it possible I got a dead egg?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4550 posts
2623 upvotes
I got one from home depot almost a month ago and it didn't hatch as I kept it in the white bag to monitor it. I have since called for them to ship me another one. Hope the new one hatches.

I was really looking forward to seeing these this year....
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4438 posts
1927 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
This thread is full of awesome!
May 26, 2012
372 posts
208 upvotes
Montreal
I wonder how many of them will survive the lawnmower...
Jul 23, 2006
614 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
Hmm.. I wonder if these will control the aphids that are in my honey locust tree?
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47029 posts
9312 upvotes
Do these eat plants/leaves? Was wondering as my backyard has flowers and vegetables growing.
Blanka
Sep 13, 2005
33 posts
4 upvotes
Brampton
I just ordered from HD. Paid $5.12 for shipping. How do you get free shipping?