• Jan 8th, 2013 4:29 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 28, 2006
130 posts
18 upvotes

[Costco] Costco: Honeywell Thermostat RTH6580WF (Wifi enabled) $119.99

Saw the following Honeywell thermostat (wifi) today at Costco in Kanata for $119.99 which seems like a decent price when compared to the US.
http://wifithermostat.com/wifi-programm ... -RTH6580WF

Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-RTH6580 ... B00A97FIG0

Homedepot.com
http://www.homedepot.com/Honeywell/h_d1 ... reId=10051
79 replies
Apr 23, 2006
546 posts
82 upvotes
This seems pretty handy. It would be nice not to have to get out of bed to change the temperature if too hot/cold. Anyone have any experience with these?
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2007
2519 posts
592 upvotes
Calgary
wow, excessive use of tax dollars right there.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
3486 posts
104 upvotes
bkushner wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 10:53 pm
wow, excessive use of tax dollars right there.
don't think that's tax dollars. that's utility service dollars, which are usually run like a private corporation. peterborough utility has these as well, i've taken part for the last few years, nice wifi thermostat installed for free, with a tablet-like wireless monitor thing that shows current consumption levels, monthly cumulative, and other stats. peaksaver is a great program
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2004
8087 posts
2248 upvotes
Oil Country
That peaksaver thermostat looks kinda like the Honeywell, minus the buttons. I think some people in the other wireless thermostat threads said the peaksaver sucks. It's great that it's free, but who wants a free POS?

Just an FYI for those looking at wireless thermostats. All of them require a 'C' wire to charge the wireless module, with the exception of the Nest. Many thermostats don't require them, so during the initial install the installer won't hook it up. The alternative is to substitute the 'G' wire for the 'C' wire. If you do the substitution, you lose the ability to manually control the fan. Instead the fan will automatically run when the furnace or AC turns on. In my case this won't work, since I manually turn the fan on in the Summer time so I don't need to run my AC for as long.

WG
Apparently, after having a harmless link in my signature for 5+ years, the mods decided I'm not allowed to have one anymore. Wtf... oh well.#FreeTheSignature
Jan 25, 2007
563 posts
125 upvotes
Paris
My fathers peak saver is a Honeywell debranded. It's a touch screen like mine, but only a 5+2. I prefer full 7 day programmable.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14311 posts
1975 upvotes
Toronto
fudge_u wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2012 4:25 am
That peaksaver thermostat looks kinda like the Honeywell, minus the buttons. I think some people in the other wireless thermostat threads said the peaksaver sucks. It's great that it's free, but who wants a free POS?

Just an FYI for those looking at wireless thermostats. All of them require a 'C' wire to charge the wireless module, with the exception of the Nest. Many thermostats don't require them, so during the initial install the installer won't hook it up. The alternative is to substitute the 'G' wire for the 'C' wire. If you do the substitution, you lose the ability to manually control the fan. Instead the fan will automatically run when the furnace or AC turns on. In my case this won't work, since I manually turn the fan on in the Summer time so I don't need to run my AC for as long.

WG

The nest seems more and more interesting everyday. Although it's more expensive there would be less headaches right?
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2008
1282 posts
314 upvotes
Ottawa
One thing with the Peaksaver is you don't have physical control over it. A relative in HVAC can't touch the Peaksaver units when doing service on a house, can't disconnect them without getting Hydro involved. At least with the Honeywell you own it and control it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2004
8087 posts
2248 upvotes
Oil Country
NestleQuick wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2012 1:25 am
Any feedback on this thermostat

CI300E-WIFI - Radio Thermostat 7 Day Programmable Thermostat With WIFI

http://www.aartech.ca/ci300e-wifi-progr ... ostat.html
From the description:
REQUIRES common/power wire or optional 24VAC power supply
Make sure you have a 'C' wire, or are willing to substitute the 'G' for a 'C'. I believe it also takes three AA batteries. I posted a deal for that thermostat during the Summer when I saw them at Home Depot. It seemed like a decent thermostat, but it was significantly larger than the thermostat that came with my home and any other I previously used in the past.
wilsonlam97 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2012 1:32 am
The nest seems more and more interesting everyday. Although it's more expensive there would be less headaches right?
Took me twenty minutes to install. It was pretty straight forward. I've had mine running for about a week so far, and I love it. The latest version of firmware added more functionality and fixed a lot of problems people had in the beginning. The updates seem very similar to Apple iOS device updates. They release a major version every few months with minor versions in between.

I don't have a 'C' wire coming from my furnace, and I didn't want to spend more money hiring someone to connect it, so I opted for the Nest. My decision was even easier to make when I was able to get one for $160 shipped. Installing it was very easy, and the unit itself automatically tells you if something isn't connected properly. It comes with a built-in battery that receives its charge from the furnace/AC. The Nest steals power to charge the battery while the furnace/AC runs. Any n00b can install one.

WG
Apparently, after having a harmless link in my signature for 5+ years, the mods decided I'm not allowed to have one anymore. Wtf... oh well.#FreeTheSignature
Dec 3, 2008
246 posts
67 upvotes
Surrey
joshmxpx wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 11:23 pm
don't think that's tax dollars. that's utility service dollars, which are usually run like a private corporation. peterborough utility has these as well, i've taken part for the last few years, nice wifi thermostat installed for free, with a tablet-like wireless monitor thing that shows current consumption levels, monthly cumulative, and other stats. peaksaver is a great program
Exactly..its ratepayers dollars not taxpayers dollars.

No different than Canada Post. Taxpayers don't pay a dime into it...only people that buy stamps/ship do...no different than any other business.
Mar 10, 2003
783 posts
37 upvotes
Montreal
Wow !!! hackers will have fun setting house on fire remotely !!!
Jul 3, 2002
274 posts
27 upvotes
Dang it, just ordered one from amazon.com. Came out to $309 with 2 day shipping and import fees.
× < >